VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's Doing VO Exclusively? For how long?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Who's Doing VO Exclusively? For how long? Reply with quote

No other source of income aside from investments or alimony, etc.

Just curious. When did you finally cut the umbilical cord and let go of the supplemental paychecks from full or part time "other" work?

Who survives on VO income alone -- that also means spousal or significant other's income isn't paying the bills, either.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full time voice over 14 years and it pays the bills. What Anne (wife) earns she spends, to be fair she does that with most of my income too.

Did you want an accurate income figure too? Dollars or sterling? Net of expenses? The truth or what I told the tax man?
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

left my day job in October of 2002.
got into the music business. fun, but the lifestyle wasn't right for me... neither were the hours.
Entered the vo business in May of 2004.
Now it's what i do full-time and my wife still works primarily because of the benefits (an eight-month-old baby will do that), but I'm right on track for her to bounce from that gig by the 3rd-4th Quarter of this year.

Things are good for me right now in this market.

EDIT: Some people can't believe i've been able to do what i've done in less than 5 years, but when your back's against the wall, you find a way. Plus it doesn't hurt being in the NYC area - lots of work here.

-Anthony

Last edited by anthonyVO on Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does broadcasting from my studio count as "other"?
I've been doing all Voice-related work since 1994.
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing it since 2003 fulltime. My wife stays home with the kids and the Vo biz supports it all.
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five years full time for me.
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full time v-o since 1993, when, after 13 years, my last real job came to an abrupt halt. (I was the last living, breathing Station Announcer in Chicago.)

Jim
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full-time with no other support since 1993 (same as Jim Barton). Does supporting my ex-wife count as support? Oh it's the other way around... I see. I have to pay her more than I make some months... and she still wants more.

I do have some other things going in my world, but mostly they support my employees bad spending habits, not mine.

Cutting the ties to radio and television was NOT difficult, I got paid more to do less in the VO biz, so I made an Executive Decision... I followed the money.

Frank F
jeffgad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

26 years freelance VO only, except for a handful of plays and a few lame movie roles. Definitely on the down side of the arc...just trying to hang on long enough to get the pension.

Gad
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broke away from the business world into full-time acting and voice work in 1986...did a mix of TV shows, industrials, a few movies and lots of spots, did all right...then opened a "for profit" theater company in 1988 which got great reviews and notoriety but ended up losing a boat load of money for my partners and myself in four years time, but I did VO and such to keep bread on the table...back to full time VO/acting in '92, including a couple of years off-and-on doing live action modeling for Fox Animation. (The new avatar is of Vlad, the character I played in Anastasia. Kelsey Grammer did the voice.)

When the Internet and ISDN began taking VO work away from me here in Phoenix, I joined in with my own studio five years ago. Now 90% of my income is VO with just a few on camera gigs a year.

I love it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

B

(And if that's Jeff Gadbois in the post above me -- I'll bet-- welcome aboard. He's one of the busiest and the best in the biz.)

Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a confession to make. Last year, I was the one who posted a discussion on when do you know it's time to make the jump to full-time.

http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=258&highlight=jump+fulltime

(The reason I was anonymous is that a member of this board was also a co-worker.)

I used Frank's guide and had 5 out of 6. With the help of my former employer Wink, I made the jump 10 months ago. There has only been one time I got worried. Shortly after Christmas, things froze up for about 3 weeks. But, I spent the entire time marketing and it has paid off, well.

I truly beleive that without the guidence I have received from members of this board, I wouldn't be doing this now.

Thanks.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Who's Doing VO Exclusively? For how long? Reply with quote

Jeff McNeal wrote:
No other source of income aside from investments or alimony, etc.

"Alimony"!!

Oh, my god, I just realized that this is what you said.

What a scream.
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reposting Frank's list here (spelling errors humbly corrected):

Quote:
You know you're ready to be a full time Voice Artist when:

1) - You have a few clients who give you enough work which earns what you are getting at your "real" job... at least this month.

2) -You are not concerned with having a "relationship" with a spouse, girlfriend/boyfriend, or signifigant other - becuause Voice Overs have become your "partner" and is your one and only passion.

3) - You realize that one hour of VO work has the same earning power as 40 hours at the "job", and you like the VO work.

4) - You have a lot of clients who are promising lots and lots of work... and you have CONTRACTS.

5) - You have enough money in the bank to last you three years or until the entrepreneur side of you goes away...

6) - You have no other choice....

1) Almost, not quite.
2) Not applicable. I love my wife, and she knows full well she has to share me with the mistress that is voiceover. Wink
3) Oh my, but yes.
4) Again, close. Regular clients, no contracts at present.
5) Not even close at the moment...
6) Unquestionably.

This excludes the nightmarish health-benefits issues, but that's another bucket of spit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dhouston67 wrote: Reposting Frank's list here (spelling errors humbly corrected):

I wrote that? Hmmmm, I must have had a slip of the brain....

Hey, I never promised I could spell well, just talk... Smile

Sorry about the mistakes on the old post, I just want to thank those who corrected my pigeon typing.... my teachers in grade school,...

I am just a humble VO Artist.... Rolls Eyes (and if you believe that....)

Frank F
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its interesting because I;ve been doing VO since 1982 (weaving in and out of radio).

But I've not done VO to the exclusion of everything else because I don't want to...there's a lot I want to accomplish and a lot I have to offer in production, sales, marketing, training etc., in a wide variety of fields. And people continue to pay me to do VO's and other things as well (one example: www.oconnellgroup.net)

I'm not sure when I arrived at this conclusion or how but having arrived...its a happy place.

I guess I'm supposed to only want to do VO's and I want to do them and have been doing a lot of them and love every minute of it but it I don't want it to be the only thing I do because I like doing all of it and have had success doing all of it and doing all of it is...fun!

I'm the odd man out...again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: