VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A noise problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mythwoman
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: A noise problem Reply with quote

I've had my home voice studio for about 2 months now, but I have had my computer since November (it's a dell and brand new). After listening closely enough, I realized that the fan of my CPU is easily heard and comes out almost like a humming noise in the background, faint but still heard. I have tried putting blankets, quilts, towels and even a failed contraption made of styrofoam on it but nothing works.

I called DELL and they suggested that I could get a new fan (which would be free of course through warranty), but my voiceover teacher suggests trying to get a quiet CPU without a fan instead.

The thing is, I have been to computer stores, and called around, yet no one has ever heard of a quiet CPU or one without a fan at that.

So I was wondering, for those who have experienced my problem: What can I do? Or what are your suggestions?

Thanks everyone!
Mary AKA Mythwoman
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, if you get a computer without a fan, it won't last too long before the CPU melts down. Guaranteed.

Essentially, two things will make noise in your computer while it's just standing there doing nothing: 1. the fans (usually one for the CPU and one in the power supply) and 2. the hard drive. All of these are constantly spinning, so they're the most likely source of any noise a computer puts out. A co-worker of mine recommended using a larger fan with lower RPMs. Now, if you tried to install one of those on your Dell, it would most likely void your warranty, so I wouldn't suggest that. You could try getting some canned air and blowing the dust off the fans and see if that helps. Fans will get noisier as dust and junk build up on them.

I'm working on building out half of my garage and am stuck on the cooling vs. isolation conundrum. I'm considering building an under-counter cabinet to put thecomputers in, but that will need to be vented so the beasties don't melt down... That means holes in the cabinet that could potentially let noise out, so right now it's a bit of a Catch-22. Maybe it doesn't have to be, I don't know.

Greg
Doc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

Oh, they make 'em! But, they're rather costly. Deirdre discovered an enclosure on her last outing for which she posted a link in another thread. Hold on, let me see if I can find it.

Yup - here it is: http://www.norenproducts.com/Acoustilock/index.html

Or, you can do what I did. I did some research and found some replacement components that I purchased and installed in my computer.

I replaced my heatsink and fan for the processor, the power supply with a quiet fan and quiet case fans, too. I spent a total of about $70 and now I have a quiet computer.

If you Google "quiet PC" you'll come up with several alternatives.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try this company: http://www.silencecases.com/

They are a bit more reasonably priced. Or you can build one yourself. I did for under $100.00.

Dan
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan & Doc -

Very cool! Thanks for the info!

Greg
Doc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

My pleasure!

Hey - it all depends upon your budget! Wink
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc wrote:
Hey - it all depends upon your budget! Wink

To quote Ray Davies: "I'M ON A LOW BUDGET!"

Think I might have to look into Dan's method of limited edition craftsmanship. Wink
Doc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to get the "Kinks" out? Rolls Eyes
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc wrote:
Time to get the "Kinks" out? Rolls Eyes

Mussst... resist... pun-offff.... Must... resist....
Travis
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing you can do is simply move the computer further away from the mic. (Around the corner, behind a desk,,,) You can buy extension cords for the monitor, keyboard and mouse pretty inexpensively. The most critical part is the monitor cables - the better the cable the less degredation to the picture.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you can add a 'water-cooled' CPU device to the system, they aren't cheap, but they work well. Around $125.00 each and you will need someone with some computer component experience to help install it.

But, this may void your warrenty, so be careful.

Frank F
donrandall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to position my computer in such way that it has a wall to the left, a wall close behind and my desk to the right of my computer, which is mounted on a wheeled cradle. There is a shelf above the computer and the little gap between shelf and desk is sealed off with foam. In front of the computer is the space that was left wide open - not blocked by wall, desk or shelf. I cut a block of stiff, five inch thick foam to size and use it to partially block the opening. I leave a bit of a gap to allow airflow. There is also a pathway between the wall behind the computer and the desk which allows air to circulate away without creating a noise problem.

I get virtually zero computer noise. Cost: under $20 for a block of foam.
nick reed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Quiet PC's Reply with quote

Shuttle brand PC's are known for being quiet... probably the quietest PC this side of laptops. They are also very small, not much larger than a shoe box.

Whether or not they will accept your soundcard or suit your other needs, I don't know.

http://sys.us.shuttle.com/Home.aspx

Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: