VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sennheiser mhk 416
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tway12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Sennheiser mhk 416 Reply with quote

ANybody familiar with this Mic? I keep reading that it is industry standard for voice over in L.A. I've read one review however that says it's bad for VO.
I emailed Rodney Saulsberry and he says he still uses his and loves it. ANybody else have some reviews?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use almost nothing but my 416 these days, and so do many of the VO studios here in Phoenix. It kind of reaches down into your throat and pulls out the best sounds. Some consider its "presence" to be a bit too full, too harsh, but for straight, rich, warm announcing, I think it is hard to beat.

They list for as high as $1,300 with an average of just over $1,000, but I've seen them on E-bay for as low as $700.

Bruce
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.coreyburton.com/sennheiser.html

Very interesting reading!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I take Burton's comments with a large chunk of salt.

Of course they are terrible and insensitive mics, and that's why hundreds of top talent and studios use them. Oh, not to mention the thousands of times they been used to miss delicate, nuanced dialogue in motion pictures and television productions.

All silly rebuttal aside, they are a specific mic for a specific sound, which many people want much of the time. That's why as time goes on, a full-time voice talent will want to build a small arsenal of different mics.

By the by, if I were doing animation for Disney, as Burton has done, you can bet your bippy I'd expect some $4,000 wonder mic, not a "lowly" shotgun.

B
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used this mic, primarily in TV news and production applications as a "shotgun", how does a VO use one of these mics? Just where do you place yourself in relation to the mic?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer it pointing down at my mouth at about a 45 degree angle, about 35 degrees off to the side (so I can read copy and see the screen if I need to) and about 8" to 12" away from the mouth. I prefer to use it without a pop screen, another reason to keep it out of the direct line of fire.

At this distance and angle it gives you a fair amount of room to roam (staying within the "sweet spot") and it picks up any sound that might come from your throat and chest. If my room were quieter I could pull it back further for a different effect, but it's not, so I don't.

Nice thing about these is they hold a pretty good value, and if you're strapped for cash you could possibly rent it out to a film/TV company for $150 a week or more.

B

Last edited by Bruce on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how does a VO use one of these mics? Just where do you place yourself in relation to the mic?
The mic would be in Toledo, Ohio while you deliver your lines in Cleveland. <g>
tway12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Okay Family Reply with quote

The funny thing is, if you look at pics of the mic it looks alot bigger than it really is. The reason I posed the quesiton is that a number of big names use this mic in their home studios. Ashton Smith, Rodney Saulsberry and by the way Rodney, I really appreciate the email holla back. I know you're a busy man. I read Corey Burton's take on the mic. I decided to rent one from Professional Sound Service in Manhattan. 75-bucks for a full week, and will let you my family know what I think of it.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know how to work a 416P48, it's amazing. I've heard the results sound like heavenly audio and hellish caca. Your room, mic placement and the person sitting on the business end, having developed their unique method of working the mic, have everything to do with it.

btw, I paid $650 for my 416P48 on Ebay. Perfect condition, just didn't have a case. Look out for the 416T that people pawn off as 416P48s.

-g
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget where I read this, but apparently this mic is really harsh with a woman's voice. Any thoughts on that one?

http://www.kitziestern.com/
tway12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

Okay gang,
As I trold you, I rented the 416 for the week just to give it a test. I have to say that the difference is significant. I like this mic alot. It's low noise and I think brings out my voice. I'd like to try it against a tlm-103, but the 416 is a really nice mic. Bruce, I see what you mean about it really reaching down your throat. Kirsten, I also wonder how it woud sound with a woman's voice.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I'm quite intrigued. May have to rent one myself. I've done quite a few standups during breaking news with 'em mounted on a camera and my being some 6 to 8 feet away. Six to twelve inches would truly be a new experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tombrom
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: 416 Reply with quote

Hi,
Just thought you might like to know that in Australia where I do my work, probably over 60% of Commercial studios use the 416 and perhaps all of them have one hidden in the bottom draw.

Probably c30% use AKG or a Nuemann and the rest a mixture of Rode, Blue etc.

When I ask why do they use 416 answer is it cuts through, its easy to balance or level (something like that) and it has a great pop filter.

It seems to have some detractors but I can't believe all the studios have got it wrong.

All the best,
nick reed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: MKH 416 Reply with quote

Here is a link to a comparison of the MKH 416 to a couple of other mics. This test was done in reference to shooting video but at the distance tested, it could be applied to VO, I guess.

Note that as a whole, the comparisons are flawed because one mic has no foam windscreen, whereas all of the others do and on the Rode Videomic test, the speaker was holding the mic perhaps 30 degrees off axis, while all other tests appeared to be ON axis.

http://dvestore.com/theatre/mics_guide.html

Nick
Micazon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: 416 48p for sale Reply with quote

Hello VO-BBer's,

I have a very unused Sennheiser 416 48p for sell. It has a hard shell plastic case, foam windscreen and clip, no dents, bruises, or marks, and has been used very sparingly in a non-smoking home studio. I do not use it much and perhaps someone else would like the benefit of it. I use a Lawson most of the time.

I'd take 800.00 for it and that includes UPS ground shipping and packaging from Dallas, TX. Let me know. You can do a search for Micazon here or use the eBay search for my record at mslay123. I'd take a cashiers check or paypal if you pay the 3% fee. After clearing, I'll ship it to you with a tracking number straight away. Since I"m in the middle of the country, you'd have it in 3-4 days at the most after clearing. I will ship only to the states. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: