VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

da gecko
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: da gecko Reply with quote

what exactly is the accent the gecko has in the Geico commercials? and what is "pie and chips?"

I'm so local Cry

-Anthony
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's East London, but I've never been, so...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even see this ad until my husband kept whispering "It's pie ... and chips.... for free" in my ear in his NY version of a cockney accent. And it made no sense to me. Then, I saw the ad. I really think these guys should have done a focus group before they ran this ad in the U.S. Or maybe they did.

"Pie and chips" is really the old fashioned British McDonalds - it's our large, soft and buttery version of fries, with a savory pot pie, be it meat, (which is usually pork), cheese and onion, or chicken and mushroom.

The gecko is cockney. It's an East Side London accent.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i enjoy the commercials and get the jist of his "grand plan" that he shares with the other lizards... but other than that, i can't keep up w/ wtf he's saying.
guess it doesn't really matter as long as I remember Geico

oh - and thanks for the gastronomical clarification - i think i'll pass Shocked

-Anthony
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't offering you one Wink

And yes, it does matter - after all, you might remember Geico, but you will associate it with confusion - not really condusive to resulting in a sale? Or do people really buy things as serious as insurance from a company that left them feeling confused?

Last edited by Spacegypsy on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird, I was having a converstion about the Gecko just last week The topic: How many different voices have they used for that character? Originally it was Kelsey Grammer (Frasier). Then, I believe, he had an Aussie accent for a while.
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days it seems commercial animators are going for the Brit accents to emulate the "Creature Comforts" series which was inspired by Wallace and Grommit.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
Then, I believe, he had an Aussie accent for a while.

Yeah! That's the one I remember. Odd.

-Anthony
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Dan hadn't said the bit about Kelsey Grammer playing the Gecko, I was going to mention it. Wink

Another bit of trivia. There was an actor that played on a sitcom on NBC in 1992 called The Powers that Be. He played the Congressman son-in-law of a Senator played by John Forsyth. The show was a flop and it was cancelled after half a season or so. The actor was not happy about his misfortune on NBC and had said, at that time, that he'd never do another sitcom on NBC. About a year later, this actor was called by his agent and told about a part where he was to play the brother of an already well known character. He went in and read for the part. By his own admission, he felt that the audition was terrible, but he got a call back the very same day, saying that he was hired. He was then told that one of the reasons he was hired was his strong resemblence to the show's lead character. He would end up playing the lead character's brother. The show ended up being a success from it's very first episode, lasting some 12 seasons on NBC and winning 5 Emmy awards. Who would have guessed that an actor who played on a barely remembered sitcom, and who vowed never to work on that network again, would turn around a year later on that network and become part of popular culture? The show was called Frasier. The actor. . .David Hyde Pierce. And now you know. . .the rest of the story. This is not Paul Harvey, but I can write a story like him. . .Good day.

(Thank you all for bearing with me in my Paul Harvey moment.)

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
billelder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current voice sounds like Ricky Gervaise to me.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For obvious reasons I don't know the commercial. If it's Ricky Gervais then the accent is Reading (Pronounced Redding) which is about 35 miles South West of London. London cockney, try this "Faw'ee farsand fevvas on a frushes froat, mite! Translation = 40,000 feathers on a thrushes throat, mate.

Traditional East London dish, going as far east as Kent, is Pie and Mash. It's pie and mashed potato. Rather than a cafe or a restaurant there are places called Pie n Mash shops. Think of this as a cultural exchange.
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time the Geiko gekko spoke was a few years ago. Then he had a distinct Carey Grant accent. Why Carey Grant is beyond me, probably the only "credible" character they had available for the shoot. ("Hey, let's use Timmy! He does a great Carey Grant!")

Anyway, the Carey imitation went away for awhile, now the Limey/CockneyAustralian accent has arrived. Why? I still don't know.

My office has CNN on all day long, and my brain is chock full of this useless drivel. Good morning, everyone!

Jim
RadioMoo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacegypsy wrote:
"Pie and chips" is really the old fashioned British McDonalds - it's our large, soft and buttery version of fries, with a savory pot pie, be it meat, (which is usually pork), cheese and onion, or chicken and mushroom.

Sometimes kidneys are used, too. But no MSG!
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, steak and kidney pie, forgot all about it. Yum!
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should've just kept Kelsey Grammer.

And what, exactly does steak and kidney pie consist of?

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: