VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Skype Reply with quote

I have recently become a Skype user and am finding it works fine. My sister (lives in England) put Mum and I onto it so we can all talk for free.

Yes - free phone calls.

Ok ok - I'm probably way behind the times but .. for those of you who are old and slow like me Sticking out Tongue go to www.skype.com and start saving.

I got a usb phone and a 5m length of cable so I can talk to her when I'm away from the computer but i'm finding the 5m isn't long enough to get to the couch. I can see the couch, i just can't reach it! lol

Skype is similar to yahoo messenger and msn messenger and easy to use.

yay. I love free.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Debbie,

I went through a Skype phase a couple of months ago and conned some other vo-bb-ers into trying it, but I think all or most of us ended up getting rid of it as it tried to take over our recording empires. It would change my recording settings not just when I re-started but at random times, knocking out my microphone.

Other than that I liked it but it had to go because it was such a playground bully. I would definitely use it for a non -DAW computer though.

Glad you are enjoying it - it's clearly just the thing for international calling!

One more thing - after finding nothing about this in their FAQ and other online info I emailed customer service to ask them what gives with Skype changing my settings. Days later I get a form response that said basically, we're too busy to respond to you personally - look for the answer to your question in our knowledge base, blah blah blah. Did you ever?? Sticking out Tongue
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: changing settings Reply with quote

Hi Mary,

Don't you hate getting auto responses! I think it's just rude and very bad for business.

I've had skype in for about a month now and it hasn't done anything bad to me (yet). I have it on two computers.

Perhaps they did listen to you? I hope so.

In the meantime, thank you for the warning - i will be on the lookout for these possible problems.

Smile
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're concerned about Skype dumping spyware on your computer, you should take a look at the Gizmo project: http://www.gizmoproject.com/

It's basically the same thing, only Kazaa didn't develop it. Wink
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmo is a great little toy and is also using the same codec stack as many other VOIP products. It uses the SIP protocol, instead of a proprietary stack for connection like Skype. Services available include tele-conferencing, low-cost long-distance, call-forwarding, call blocking, and more.

But remember it is a software phone (resides on your PC). And, to date is basically a telephone... great for those who need to communicate with other parts of the country (or the world) by phone. Take a look at SIPPhone.com or GizmoProject.com for more information.

The world of telecommunications is getting interesting.

For a better codec selection (quality of Service), but at present NO POTS callling or incoming POTS numbers: http://www.freeworlddialup.com/ - Free World Dialup.

You can reach me at # 437691 if you choose to call with FWD.

Frank F
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: pots Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is POTS?

Confused
Sameer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pots => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_old_telephone_service

The best part of Skype is they give you an option to buy ph #s....in many countries including USA.....for e.g I being in India can have a local LA ph#

The client would think I am just 2 blocks away from them Smile
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: pots Reply with quote

Debbie wrote:
Hi Frank,

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is POTS?

Confused

Plain Old Telephone Service.

At least, that's what it stood for when I worked at Pacific Bell while between radio gigs 26 years ago...
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm resurrecting this thread because I just got off a call to England via Skype and I am impressed!
No latency. Wow.

Because I'm using outboard recording gear, I don't have the sound-card issues that are problematic for Mary.

I will try looking at Gizmo and Free World Dialup later today.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt life grand.. call Endlgand - no fee, decent quality... and all via the inernet.

What did we do before the internet?

When you get your FWD # D.B, give me a call. I would love to ehar from you.

Frank F
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:

....I will try looking at Gizmo and Free World Dialup later today.

Deebs,

FWIW, I have used both Free World Dialup (no problems) and Gizmo. Even though I really liked the interface of the Gizmo product much better, it played heck with my computer...crashes, freezes and all round cantankerousness with my audio settings Frown

I know you are on a Mac so it may be fine but thought I would pass along a caution to everyone using a PeeCee.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWD is PC only.

I just downloaded Gizmo and will look to try it out later today.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Deirdre"]FWD is PC only.quote]

...yeah, I forgot to mention that little fact.... I use both Macs (and PC's against my will) so I can get a little confused from time to time which machine I'm on Sticking out Tongue
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the audio (and sometime video) on MSN Messenger and it seems to work nicely. I got a nice birdseye view of a small village in the UK the other morning.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may try Skype again. Since my Big Crash last weekend I've isolated my DAW from the world and have a second computer for internet access and everything that is not recording and editing audio.

'smatter fact the Big Crash has brought a lot of good changes to my life. It has been exhausting though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: