VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mixers in Particular

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Mixers in Particular Reply with quote

Mackie is my well-known pal, but I wonder...

I wonder since I have a Symetrix 528 if I still need a hefty mixer. I have some noise issues in this little 1202, and I'd like sliders instead of rotary pots.

Am I nuts for thinking of a Behringer or something less-than-a Mackie?

I suppose I could just try to fix this little Mackie...
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutz? Nahh. But I don't hear great things about Behringer. I just got off the phone with my gear rep regarding the Behringer UltraVoice processor. At $92 it's a steal...but he cautioned me regarding the overall quality of Bheringer products in general, and the UltraVoice in particular. Granted, his job is to sell, and he was steering me to the Symetrix 528e. But at $598. It's out of my budget. Such a purchase would have me arse kicked by my CFO. fer sure. :(
billelder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre,

I plug my mic into the Symetrix 528 and then straight into my computer. It does the same thing. You'll need a Mixer if you want to listen back with any volume or plan on running more than one mic. The least in the chain the better, IMHO. The Symetrix is nice and transparent to my ears.

Andy,

I picked mine up on E-Bay and it works great!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know "the less in the chain, the better" for noise and extraneous crap.

However, I have an identified noise problem and it's in the Mackie.

I don't like monitoring through the Mbox, and I don't like the sound I get with the mic plugged directly into the Mbox. My rather tortuous sound path is analog from the Mic (RE20) to the 528 to the Mackie to the Mbox and then USB to the Mac. The return (phones out) from the Mbox goes into 2 channels in the Mackie. I need to remember to turn a knob or two to avoid feedback, but I like the sound I get in my ears on both record and playback. I was surprised to find out just how much it matters to me--how I sound in my phones while I record-- but boy! it really does. I also get a nice, warm tone to the recording.

One of the studios at CBS radio in Boston has a crappy headphone line and most of the time I leave the phones off in that studio. Jeziss-- they're building a brand-new edit suite for a new TV program immediately adjacent to the radio production area, but there's no money to network the three production rooms or fix that goddam headphone bus.

Radio is the bastard first-born brother of TV.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB, you have it right - less is more, however, contrary to popular opinion, Behringer Mixer's are not bad. I use a little one for some portable sessions. The price is right and the quality is outstanding. The pre's are nice and smooth and sound great (transparent).

Some of the outboard products of Behringer leave a bit to be desired. I have a few products which I use religiously, like the ADA8000 Ultragain Pro 8-Channel A/D D/A Converter. This unit has lightpipe and with my MOTU 828 MKII, I have 22 inputs and 20 out in two rack spaces. Add my laptop, a bunch of mic's, and cable and I have have one heck of a portable studio in a very small space.

:P oooh, Fixing a Mackie - not worth it, buy a new one and save some money.

Frank F
Gp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a Boinger and sold it to buy a Mackie. I had some trouble with a couple of the slides cutting out after owning it only a couple months. I'm sure it would be fine for using as a back up or an occasional use mixer.

When I switched to the Mackie I couldn't believe the difference in just the sound quality alone. So I would tell you that you get what you pay for.

I bought the 1402 VLZ Pro. Locally they're: 1202 is 399.00 the 1402 is 459.00 (list, I got mine for about 350.00 I think....or maybe it was

360.00) I had the Eurorack 1204FXpro. It sells for about 149.00
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yessir, I'm a-lookin' at the 1402 VLZ Pro.

Just had to throw over $1000 at Guitar Boy's car: brakes. So I'm not as flush as I was a day ago. But as a fella said--a car that won't start is an inconvenience. A car that won't stop is a tragedy.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess all those years I complained about the sneaker net really did fall on deaf ears. If you're going to buy a Mackie these days, the firewire connectivity of the Onyx series is probably the best bang for your buck. I can understand not enjoying the stale sound of the pres in the DigiDesign products. I don't know too many people who "appreciate" them the way their designers would hope, but I guess they work when you need them.

I'm waiting to hear Kitstern's comments on the Earthworks preamp she nabbed off of Ebay last week...

Kevin
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:
I guess all those years I complained about the sneaker net really did fall on deaf ears.

Sneaker net? WTF,d00d? Laugh

kgenus wrote:
If you're going to buy a Mackie these days, the firewire connectivity of the Onyx series is probably the best bang for your buck.

I did take a look at the Onyx series when I was at the Mackie site earlier this week.

The FireWire connection seems interesting, but since confounded Digi is completely proprietary with their hardware, everything has to go through the Mbox if I want to record into ProTools.
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D -

My 2 cents on Behringer. I've had a MX1604A in the studio for two years now with no trouble. I don't recommend the EQ...but the mixer is super quiet and transparent. If you using the Symetrix pre you're really only using the mixer as a kind of router anyway.

I've done broadcast/sessions with Joe Satrianni a few times and his guitar rig includes the same mixer for FX bussing. The same mixer had been in service on the road as a drum sub-mix prior to the guitar rig use.

I'm using one of their parametric EQs on my bass rig (for the upright)....they work fine. Just treat 'em nice...their not built as well as Mackie. BTW - Mackies moving all of thier production to China to better compete with Behringer (my drummer's a dealer..) look for the build quality to become more like Behringer.

I don' recommend their voice-proc/channel strip thing. Sounds like doo.

Bad design.

Chuck D
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, SneakerNet ... feet hitting the pavement to get anywhere, although living in Maine could be an issue. My brother lives up in Booth Bay, he talks about a specific moose who likes to look through the window and watch TV with them, then tells me, "Hey, he's keeping the skunks and bears away...."

I'm sure Mackie's been buying components from China for years, it's a natural progression to move the facility. Manley's mic capsules are made in China. The running joke, although it's probably not one, is all the caps passing their tests go into their Reference mics, everything else goes into Marshall MXL series mics (which are surprisingly good).

Kevin
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're plugging low-bucks mics..I'll give Apex a plug. The 430 is a hell of a value for VO...big pickup pattern though so make sure your room sounds OK.
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:

I'm waiting to hear Kitstern's comments on the Earthworks preamp she nabbed off of Ebay last week...

I've been using an Earthworks LAB102 for a couple of years now. Earthworks are beautiful preamps. No bells and whistles, just straight, clean and very detailed gain. I use mine with a couple of FMR RNC compressors then straight into the AD converter. I had been using a Focusrite Voice Master, but it's been gathering dust since the Earthworks arrived.

M

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
scooter2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Gear! Reply with quote

Geez,

I was really starting to feel sad and poorly until I saw Mr. Elder's report on just using a mic and the 528 e and the computer for his voice stuiff..'cause that's all I use too. And it seems to work fine for me and wowee..do I save a lot of bucks on equipment that I wojuld not know how to use anyway..so maybe simple is better.

Is that sorta like saying "the least in the chain the better?"

Le there be no doubt here..I am truly technically challenged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: