VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you ever...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW PIC!!!! Wow! Nice D.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
I wouldn't call it "bitterness" per se, but I certainly detect an overload of smart-assitude..

When I opened this thread this morning, I couldn't help feel for the poster, having been there myself. Something about it seemed familiar. Then it dawned on me. I WROTE THAT...just about a year go. I was Andy before a bunch of Turks crashed the site. Now, at least, I know who the smartasses are. A bit of an eye-opener, to be quite honest.

For those of you still struggling, let me say that persistence pays off. I wound up having a tremendous year. January was excellent too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read through all the posts and detect no bitterness or smart ass attitude.

When we try to be open and honest with each other, lighten the mood or encourage a different perspective there appears to be an over reaction. I would never make deeply personal, hurtful or offensive comments, attack the behaviour or professionalism of others and I would hope that all posts are intended to take people forward.

While there are individuals on here who are determined to grab hold of the wrong end of the stick, who KNOW that every negative post is about them, who are never wrong, who must win some undeclared war and will see the negative in everything none of us will grow. That's a real shame as I for one have so much to learn from many of you.

Back to the thread. Do you ever feel like giving up? Yes. What do I do? Give up. What happened? My income as a voice over (It is my only job) more than doubled. No ego involved in the above answers, just fact. I really hope that this time next year many of you will be posting comments about how you did something and won, I further hope that it will be posted without fear of being pounced on by someone who is unable to see beyond their own back yard.

As a parting salutation, my sincere wish is that today you are able to change just one thing in your life for the better and that in 2006 dreams come true.
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've had the "what the hell have I done" thought's before. Especially when I first left my radio gig running 4 radio stations. The first year was mainly when I had those thought's as financially things were looking pretty slim. But if your persistant and keep at it, make the contacts and get your name out there it WILL happen. Now flash ahead 4 years later and things couldn't be better. I have two great kids since then and financially I'm doing 4 times more than I ever did in Radio after 21 years in it. DON'T GIVE UP! Take the down time to market yourself and practice. It really pays off and if you believe in yourself, other's will too. Just my two cents.

Later,

Russ
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment, Hart.

You know-- I like Banksey's modus operandi here:
Quote:
Do you ever feel like giving up? Yes. What do I do? Give up.

One's path to success is usually not what you expect it to be when one starts out. It sometimes isn't even the Road Less Traveled-- its the Road That Wasn't Here Before. Or a road through a completely foreign land.

When I participate in Career Days at my son's high school, I tell the kids that when I was their age, I wanted to be an actor, a musician and an artist. Today I AM an actor, a musican and an artist, but not in any way, shape or form that I imagined. I wanted to be a television actor, I am a stage actor and voice actor. I wanted to be a keyboarist like Elton John, I play rock and roll drums. I wanted to be a cartoonist, I'm a photographer.

One of the things my 2nd husband-- the one I ran the theater with, may he rest in peace-- used to do was add work to an established work flow. we were running a summer stock theater, had 2 small kids, no household help, a couple of acres of strawberries and a vegetable garden. We were going a bit nuts and things were getting tense between us and so what does he do? He decides to plant several high-yield blueberry bushes.
This was typical!

Sometimes giving up is the right thing to do because you have to take a different look at how you work. Keeping on with a method that's landing inconsistent results is like overtilling exhausted land.
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the love! I knew I came back here for a reason! Smile

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe I was wrong about the bitterness perhaps. It's easy to read emotion into a chat board.

Now, about them blueberries...
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In cyberspace, it's hard to hear facetiousness.
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
In cyberspace, it's hard to hear facetiousness.

DB you are absotively positutely correct! Reading the emotion behind the text would be so much easier if we could hear it.
Aside:
Is there any way we could have audio posts? I think it would be awesome to actually hear the post comment while I read it.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheSpeaksCopy wrote:
Is there any way we could have audio posts? I think it would be awesome to actually hear the post comment while I read it.

Get your orders in now for The Best of VO-BB Audio! Our operators are waiting for your order NOW! It's only $14.95 plus $10.00 shipping and handling for the premiere issue of year 2006... the directors cut! To reserve your copy today, call 88LISTENIN. We accept credit cards... PayPal...Money Orders... and Certified Bank Checks.
Bitchin
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Get your orders in now for The Best of VO-BB Audio! Our operators are waiting for your order NOW! It's only $14.95 plus $10.00 shipping and handling for the premiere issue of year 2006... the directors cut! To reserve your copy today, call 88LISTENIN. We accept credit cards... PayPal...Money Orders... and Certified Bank Checks.

You know, Bailey sparked an idea in my head. There have been quite a few members here, including myself, that has said this (vo-bb.com) is the best resource anywhere for VO talent. What if... someone put together a book using the best answers to many standard questions and sold it. Profits go to a charity of DB's choice or she could list a few and we could vote on it. Does anyone know a publisher?
donrandall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always watching for little bits of information that may prove to be useful, I am always looking for something that fits my personality and aptitude - and BAM!! - there it is! GIVE UP!!

Finally, somebody comes up with some advice that actually relates to something I can do! Well, not now.....but.....maybe later. Right now, I gotta go layabout and maybe even get some sleep. I'll give up later on, when I have more time.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of audio posts hosted here is out of the question. Based on the clamor/result of the chatroom, I don't think I'll be knocking myself out to add any more bells and whistles for quite a while.
If you want to record your response and post a link to it along with or instead of your written replies, go nuts.

I will gladly receive ideas for threads/posts that you feel are worthy of inclusion of a "best of" category. Publishing on paper or doing anything to sell our scribblings here is a noble notion, but quite unreasonable in terms of time expenditure.
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre, I totally support your opposition to such an idea. God, it would be awful. Everyone trying to professionally narrate their thoughts. Plus, the bandwidth would be a killer.

Regarding the live chat, you may want to try posting a schedule of some sort, so anyone interested in typing their thoughts in real time might stand a better chance of actually running into some other like minded soul.

Like maybe something simple, like "the top of the hour, on the hour", or something like that. I've instituted live chat rooms on various boards I have run over the year with similar disappointing results. It's one of those things that sound good on paper, but then in practice, it's a dud. I shut mine down when eventually, the only people using it were perverts from Denmark that would have strange liasons at 2 in the morning. Got to be strange and creepy. Anyway, good luck.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff McNeal wrote:
Regarding the live chat, you may want to try posting a schedule of some sort, so anyone interested in typing their thoughts in real time might stand a better chance of actually running into some other like minded soul.

That idea made the rounds in another thread, too.
I think it's destined to be catch-as-catch-can for the time being.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: