VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On the verge of finishing my home studio
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: On the verge of finishing my home studio Reply with quote

All I've got left to get is the computer.

I'd like to throw my set-up out there for opinions and to see if there is anything I'm missing/potential conflicts/etc. I'm setting it up in our walk-in closet.

Mic: RODE NTK w/ shockmount & pop filter
Mixer: Mackie Onyx 1220 w/ Firewire I/O card
Monitors: Event ALP5N
Cans: Audio-Technica ATHM40FS

The computer will likely be a desktop PC since I'm used to editing w/ Adobe Audition.
I'm thinking I'll put the tower under the table and drape a heavy tablecloth or something over the table to dampen the fan noise.
I've still got miscellaneous stuff to get (mic stand, table, etc.)
I'm excited to get everything fired up. My current studio is @ my TV station and has issues. Wink
I think I'll get much better audio @ home once I'm rolling.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say - something you might want to consider, based upon your descritpion of a location for your studio is: air.

Whether it be cool or hot, you will need some - and ventilation for you and the PC... If as you say you are using your 'walk-in closet, consider placing the PC just outside the door. You may then have the monitor, keyboard, and mouse on a cart to move inside to use when recording. Then move the cart outside to edit.

Have fun!

Frank F
donrandall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have not already bought the computer that you will use - consider having one built to your specifications, or shop around and find one that is built specifically for the purpose - there are some available. Have one built and you control the price because you don't buy stuff you don't want or need.

There are quiet cases available that have a dramatic effect on quieting the innards that go hum, click, buzz and ch ch tick ch ch tick tick.....

There are power supplies available that do not buzz or hum and have fans on them that are quiet and then you have to consider that the case itself has a fan or two or three and there are fans that are designed to run quietly.

With the right case, power supply, fans and all that stuff, you could probably set it right next to your mic and find that you hear little if any computer noise.

By starting out with a computer that is as quiet as possible, you avoid the inconvenience of trying to fight the noise issue - which can lead to creating an overheating issue or other problems like having to use long interconnect cables and finding a way to run them back and forth.

Get plenty of RAM and a decent, stable motherboard, make sure you have USB2 and Firewire and whatever other goodies you think you might need.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:

How'd I know that was coming? Laugh Wink
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, thanks for the tips on ventilation. The closet has an air vent but I imagine it'll still get stuffy after an hour or two with the door closed.

Don, custom built looks like the way to go. I was thinking about piecing one together on newegg.com. The only thing that worries me is the lack of support.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoiceTom wrote:
How'd I know that was coming?

Completely quiet.
No down time.
No viruses, spyware, whatever the hell.

Last edited by Deirdre on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Completely quiet.
No down time.
No viruses, spyware, whatever the hell.

I second that.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought seriously about getting a mac. But I've already spent $$ on Audition for editing. Hindsight. Grrr.

Last edited by tackerman on Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoiceTom wrote:
I thought seriously about getting a mac. But I've already spent $$ on Audition for editing.

Good point.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my biggest issue with buying a Mac too. I love Audition and am not willing to switch to something else now, or for the foreseeable future. That being said, I have a good friend that has one of those Macs where the entire computer is in the same housing as the monitor. Man that's slick. Quiet, seems to be fast, and it's great looking. I'd love to have it on my desktop. It's a powerhorse too. He uses it for video editing.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoiceTom wrote:
I thought seriously about getting a mac. But I've already spent $$ on Audition for editing. Hindsight. Grrr.

So... have the best of both worlds. The new Macs (Intel Chip) will run Mac and Windows. Use "boot camp" from Apple (free) to install Windows on your Mac and live large as a computer "switch hitter." Run Windows for Audition and the Mac side for all the other stuff.

Proud owner of a new iMac G-5 all in one! SWEET !!!
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
The new Macs (Intel Chip) will run Mac and Windows. Use "boot camp" from Apple (free) to install Windows on your Mac and live large as a computer "switch hitter." Run Windows for Audition and the Mac side for all the other stuff.

I'm right there with you. I've wanted a Mac for about six years, and chickened out the last time. With the introduction of the new MacBooks, I believe I'm in. To actually be able to record on the same machine (Mac) that I invoice, word process, do finances, etc. (PC) is going to be lovely. Plus it's about 3 pounds lighter than my old Gateway notebook thatI've been hauling through various airports recently.

I've searched the web, and can't find a bad thing written about the MacBook.

I use an Mbox1 on the road, and have had very good luck with it on the Gateway without an external hard drive (Digidesign recommends a dedicated hard drive for ProTools.) Anybody have an opinion on that subject, or a recommendation for an external drive?

Thanks, Jim
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, after that post I just might be on the verge of buying my first Mac since 1990.

Thanks for the tip!

Jim, you wanna go shopping together? Wink
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Barton wrote:
I use an Mbox1 on the road, and have had very good luck with it on the Gateway without an external hard drive (Digidesign recommends a dedicated hard drive for ProTools.) Anybody have an opinion on that subject, or a recommendation for an external drive?

My entire setup consists of an AT4040 mic, an MBox 1, and a PowerBook G4 running Pro Tools LE, and I record directly to the PowerBook's hard drive with no difficulty. Don't know about the MacBooks or the MacBook Pros, but I'm inclined to believe it can be done on them as well. Probably best to ask at the DUC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: