VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Well this really sucks!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Well this really sucks!!! Reply with quote

I know I should be happy for a great time in Maui instead of whining that it is the last day and we have to go back...then I make the mistake of checking email and get this about a job I had already done for an agreed upon $500:

Quote:
Hi Jeff, Hope you had a great trip. I have bad news...they were unhappy with the voice over. They wanted an older voice like the original guy we had, although when we chose you, they said they wanted a younger more energetic voice and you were perfect. So this video is being shown in 10 days and I don't have a voice over. They want to know if you would accept $250 so that we could apply $250 to another guy? I'm just the messenger as it's not my money Smile They like your voice and read, but not for this. Let me know your thoughts, sorry you had to come home to this.

WTF!!! I am staying in Maui to sell coconuts!
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."

Last edited by BenWils on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I wrong in thinking that you should receive the full $500? You did the job you were asked to do. That they've now decided not to use it is not your problem. Unless you feel that it's worth the $250 in goodwill, I would tell them that the original sum stands.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with the Modern Age is that you are not able to look at this person while he is asking this outrageous thing of you. If you were face-to-face, then you could just look at him expectantly as if waiting for him to laugh, punch you in the shoulder and say, "just my little joke".
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

Your are totally correct. This does inhale exceedingly!!!!

FWIW, I learned a valuable lesson from my agent some time ago. I did a job and the client changed their mind after the fact. My agent called and told me the situation....but continued...."You hired Dave for a job and you will pay him for professional services rendered...the fact you changed your mind does not release you from your responsiblility....period."

It's only happened a time or two since then but I gave the same response as my agent each time and was always paid as agreed. Don't be reluctant to stand your ground...if you never hear from them again you're most likely better off given how fickle you now know them to be.

In other words...

If you hired someone to paint your house and after they finished the job you decided you wanted a different color than the one you told the painter to use...would you expect the cost of the job to be discounted 50%? Yeah, that's what I thought....

Dave
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Good one! So when do I get my $500 check?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told your story to hubby - his eyes got big, his jaw dropped, and he said "tell 'em 'kiss my grits and send me $500!'".

btw Dave, I've experienced the paint scenario. The grey paint I chose came out white on my house. The very idea of expecting the painters to pay for that!
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Service rendered. Invoice amount agreed upon.
Someone f*d up, but it wasn't YOU.

-Anthony
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened to me. I was hired to voice and produce several car ads. When I was hired, the producer asked me to send just one ad first, as a spec peiece for approval by her client. I agreed and did so. I got a, "That's great! Do the rest plus I'll send more to you later today." The others came later that afternoon. I did all the spots and sent 'em over. Then I heard nothing.
After two days I called her. "Eh, well, um the client decided to go with a female for some of them, and the guy they used to use for the others"

She went on to tell me that I'd HAVE to accept a discounted price. "NFW! " I thought to myself and asked to be put over to the agency boss. He was pretty arrogant and obtuse with me until I explained that the spec peice was approved by his client and his underling sent the rest of the ads for voice and production.
"Um..let me get back to you after I talk with...."

Well, I never did hear back from him. The deal was $800 and I invoiced him for that amount last week explaining that I had "no privity of contract" with his client and that he assumed the risk that his client could change his/her mind.

We'll see if I get a check. I'll probably have to take him to small claims court.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a #$%^&*()@!

The agency who hired you has to explain to the client that since they changed their mind, they have to pay for another talent too - that change midstream from them should cost them, and it's not for you to pick up the tab.

If the hiring agency don;t have the balls to charge their clients accordingly, then it isn;t you who should suffer.

You can explain that nicely to them of course Smile
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politely refuse the compromise and request that you be paid the agreed-upon amount for services rendered.

Keep Drew's advice in mind, and save all e-mails; they can serve as legal records should you decide to pursue it that far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. All emails pertaining to this deal are saved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the concerns I have is that my client, a production company, has been the middle man and my main contact. I knew from the start that I would be invoicing his customer directly. There have been, and I firmly believe, will be future business (not necessarily with this shared client). It is obvious to me that his client should be liable for the full amount but I don't want to put my client in a position that would jepordize the relationship with his client and bruise our relationship, even though my ego has been bruised. However, I realize that if I waiver, I could appear wishy washy and less professional. To add insult to injury, I used a local recording studio because the company that this video was for is a large global company. My intent was to deliver the best quality possible but that now seems to have backfired especially since the cost was nearly as much as what they are offering. Ouch!! ...just cut myself trying to open a coconut. Maybe I should try to sell a softer fruit!
Apageloman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff You stated in the original post that the company expressed their satisfaction in your workupfront even thought they were not going to run it. all fine and well that's their perogative, however you are a contractor, given the fact that the service was duly rendered to their specifications for all practical purposes, I don't see you on the hook for this one. Now your point about goodwill is well taken as well as your concern for being looked at as a professional. To me, that issue has to be put to the recording studio or brokering agent (whoever it was that found you for the spot.) If the issue is goodwill are you as quick to accept a job and have goodwilltoward a source that's gonna flake out on you as soon as services are rendered and it's time to be paid? I would put it to your contact that it's their reputation with their client that's at stake if they don't stand up for you on this and politley ask their client to hold up to their agreed upon responsibilities,
As far as them asking youi to take a short deal so they can hire someone else, that's bogus for two reasons, 1.) if it's a large clielnt as you say the differenceof $250 even when working within a budget is really pretty negligible and can be written off as the cost of their uncertainty, it doesn't really consitute a big hit in the larger corporate scheme of things. For example I used to sell cars for a living, even right after 9/11 when the entire industry was down and I was working for a small family owned dealership the owners were still profitting fairly handsomely in a difficult economic climate. Tehy'd give up $250 dollars to get a deal done fairly frequently. In Your case, the end client has to ask themselves how much faith do they have in the ad concept overall that they'd be willing to risk the bad blood all along the production chain, ending with you of course, over what to them I have to think is a reletively small amount of money.
2.) How do you know thisisn't someone at the end client tryint to scam your agent? or for that matter your agent trying to scam you/ I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist here but my question is then what happens next time there is a 'screw-up"? How do you identify and prove that that was the case? I just think it's a bad precedent all the way around that the contract negotiation iis re-opened after the service is delivered. To me I'd rather the client said up front. " Well we'd like to try to have you read this but we're not certain you're what we want going to have another talent do it too and choose read which best meets our needs." and offer me the $250 upfront, rather than this bait and switch.

Well I've soapboxed on this plenty long enough, sorry for that but just some of my thoughts on the situation.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How comfortable would you be going to that professional recording studio where you recorded the spot and telling them your client decided not to use your work and therefore you would only be paying them half of what you owed them?

I don't think you should be worrying about jeopardising the middle man's relationship with the end guys. Sounds like you and the middle man would be well rid of them. And the middle man doesn't seem too worried about jeopardising your relationships or he would never have passed this preposterous request on to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: