VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Be better tomorrow than you were today.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the toughest part is acting as though the copy is written in a way can can be delivered convincingly. Smile

Tougher yet when the "director" can't direct, except to say "I'm not sure, but I'll know it when I hear it."
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don G. wrote:
Tougher yet when the "director" can't direct, except to say "I'm not sure, but I'll know it when I hear it."

In that case, you have to "act" polite.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a clear example of voice talents who don't act and won't go very far in the business, take all of the disc jockeys who sound the same smiley, puking, stilted way, on the air and off, and in a spot for a burger joint or a lingerie shop. A definition of Johnny One Note.

In a different example, I had a gentleman come to me a few years ago to put together a demo. He had spent over 20 years doing news for Chicago's two biggest news/talk stations and had semi-retired early out here. He sounded wonderful. I would want him to read the news to me every day. But he couldn't read a spot to save his soul. Everything was like the latest headlines from WLS. He couldn't break out of the mold. We agreed he couldn't do a commercial demo until he got some acting lessons or experience under his belt.

There's a great poster out there by cartoonist Jim Borgman:

http://www.acclaimposters.com/_gallery/Humor_Posters_and_Prints/10002094.html

with a character showing 30 basic emotions. It's a wonderful guide for actors or voice talent. If you can easily and convincingly exhibit each of these emotions upon command, it is my belief that you will go far in the business.

Bruce
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taught that when approached to do a voiceover, I should consider the person that I am "speaking" for. I have to define who that person is... his age... his relationship to the product/idea...We were told that this was "woodshedding". We were given 60 seconds to read the script... develop the character... be that character... and speak a convincing part. Hence the term "Voice Acting". For me, to be able to speak "believably" is as much a part of doing a voice over as is speaking the words.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree will every point made so far on this thread. The one thing no one has mentioned is sounding "real" for your listener. While every producer will need you to create a certain feel for the copy, sounding real to the listener is what makes the product/service sell for the client. This is particularly true if you are doing a VO that reads like a customer testimonial. Your listener needs to hear the enthusiasm in your voice without you sounding "commercial." I've heard these types of spots where the VO artist plugged the product hard. The commercial didn't have the appeal of those that sounded like the actual product user was recorded.
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Bailey, you beat me to the draw on this one! Must be osmosis!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheSpeaksCopy wrote:
The one thing no one has mentioned is sounding "real" for your listener.

Actually, I think Kevin hit that point first:
Quote:
If you have studied and know yourself, you should have little difficulty looking down at the copy, quickly memorizing the next line, looking away from the copy and giving real life delivery. One of the first books I read this year was called "Stop Acting" and this is the approach used.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Stop Acting" is really an attention getting way of saying "don't be affected" which is not so punchy for a book title. The character, Joey in Friends was often sharing pearls of wisdom from his "Affecting Classes".

Sometimes we are able to put the wrong words to a situation in order to get the right sound.

Try this. Your partner has proposed to you and you can't wait to tell your best friend. You see them coming towards your front door and rush to tell them your news. The line should be "Terry asked me to marry him!!" The line is .....

"At D&M autos there's $500 off the price of all used Volkswagens"
CWToo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Be better tomorrow than you were today..... Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
"Some believe that the inability to act does not close the door to becoming a voice over. I know that it's impossible to find a mood, an attitude, a character and to get the best read without some intuitive acting(performance) skills.

One time I was in a session with Marv Henry, a gentleman that has been doing voice overs since the early 1960s. The copy looked long so we did the first read rapidly. The read turned out to be about eight seconds short. Marv heard that and said, "Oh, good. Now we can act."
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point, Chris. I always appreciate copy that gives me breathing room so I can "act". So often, you gotta motor the read making performing a challenge. Did a sixty yesterday for a client. I got it in at :59.5. Everyone was happy except me. I thought how much better that would have been had they trimmed about five sec out of it so I could hammer that nail correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an interesting aside, since this thread was started, I've had several auditions. A few days ago, I was asked to sound about 20 years older than I actually am and just a few moments ago, I was asked if I could sound about 20 years younger than my age in a different audition. Both wanted me to still sound like "me", only older and younger, respectively, based on the needs of each client.
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I've read in several books and would recommend is Improv training. It's a fun way to learn to "play make-believe" again. When we were kids, we easily became cops and robbers and indians and cowboys, but as we grow up, we lose touch with that part of ourselves or rather it is beaten out of us by society. Improv training can be a great way to get back in touch with that inate ability we all have. It also helps build a great sense of "timing" which can only be helpful when you're trying to deliver a clients message.

P.S. How's that for reviving an old thread!

Last edited by jrodriguez315 on Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improv training ...How's that for an oxymoron?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know! How do you PRACTICE something you're supposed to MAKE UP?

All kidding aside, I must aver that I have been well-served by my "improv training." It's a less stressful frying pan for ideas. (less stressful than having an audience, I mean!) Getting together with a group of actors under the watchful eye of an experienced improv co-ordinator can be a stunningly excellent acting stretch.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the "improv training is an oxymoron" thought, and I've known of some improv troupes that actually rehearse some of their bits. Hmmmm.

But the training comes into play in practicing opening your mind to fleeting thoughts and grabbing and using them, looking for puns and punch lines, listening to others so you can respond accurately or wittily, instantly being someone other than yourself in some place far away from the stage or studio you're in now.

Lots of folks never try this kind of monkey business in their daily lives and they need classes where they can practice all of this in private with like-minded people...so they can then go out and do it for real in public.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: