VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO Buzz Weekly & Bill DeWees
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you ever paid for voice over coaching?
Yes
82%
 82%  [ 32 ]
No
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 39

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, there's nothing terribly "private" about this thread that I can see.

Am I missing something?

Anyone who's embarrassed by it can just not read it, I think.
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only was thinking that then the treading need not be so light.

Thanks
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this guy hurting anyone?

It seems a tempest in a teapot from here. Don't waste CPU cycles on it.
DeadDillo
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to marketing, and knowing how to find an angle for every possible niche and exploiting that as much as possible...I think DeWees is one of the greats. He knows how to market himself and for that, I've learned a lot.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's all a matter of taste and the market/audience you are seeking... but I prefer the style of BMW over that of ShamWow Wink
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You too can learn the same approach from "THE King of Content, Fred Gleeck,
Information Marketing Expert
. Helping subject matter experts turn their knowledge into CASH!!!"
Roar-duh
Contributor III

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently studying at DeWees University. I recently took his Fast Track class, did a few coaching sessions and he'll be producing my demo this weekend. As a newbie I went this route for 3 reasons: he knows how to get piles of work, he's a good educator, and he's local(ish). It was very attractive for me to get both marketing advice and on-mic coaching in one stop.

I saw a bunch of his different marketing sites before moving ahead. I'm happy to work with him for coaching and production, but I doubt I'll be paying $200 for recordings of past classes.

So, stay tuned and you should hear my demo soon!
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

University? Explode
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few coaching sessions = demo?

red flag dude.

search the archives here - you get one shot to try to get noticed. if you send your demo too soon, you can really shoot yourself in the foot.

not an attack --- just friendly advice.

ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, ditto, ditto. Careful. Dangerous waters ahead.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Buy Now! My secrets to (insert blank) success."

Whether it's the internet, VO, stocks, pyramid schemes, or whatever... anyone who is selling a "secret" is proving that selling the so-called secret or technique is far more lucrative than actually employing it. People want to buy a dream... therefore people will always be there to sell one.

I will admit to being very cynical about modern predatory marketing. I think it's all show and no substance (ref: snake-oil salesman etc.). I absolutely agree that there are some people who have made a lot of money from these techniques, but more often than not, the money ultimately comes from the wallets of the gullible and naive. Of course, there are always some that will have a good take-away... they will learn that what they are supposedly buying (VO training and expertise) has somehow morphed into VO marketing, shilling of codes and affiliate links and a hopeful route to cash that doesn't actually involve studying and practicing VO.

Is the above over-stated?... maybe... OK, probably... but if you had the secrets of to how to win on the stock-market, wouldn't you just quietly use them and become rich beyond the dreams of avarice? Jumping up and down like a demented chimp selling a book or DVD seems far less appealing to me.
Roar-duh
Contributor III

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely get it... I've been lurking here for a while and I've read stories elsewhere of people that were held back by crap demos. I'm in sales at a radio station right now, so I've been practicing with copy I've written for clients as well as copy I've found elsewhere.

I feel that I got honest feedback from Bill in the coaching sessions, and he was quick to tell me when there was copy that I had room for improvement with.

I've read lots of solid advice here about demos, keeping it short and putting my strongest read first. I'll be sure to get some feedback here about making any tweaks to the demo, or if I should just stick to my day job. Wink
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only advice would be...... for most (not necessarily all) this business is definitely a marathon and not a sprint. Therefore patience is a definite asset.

Improv classes, community theater, Toastmasters, Reading For the Blind, accent reduction or elimination ,etc.----all excellent and necessary avenues to attaining the skills needed (unless you already have those skills or are extraordinarily gifted)----which basically means slugging it out in the trenches.

Call me old school but IME there is no substitute (with rare exceptions) for slugging it out in the trenches, which can be painstakingly slow.

If a coaching program has somehow figured out how to circumvent the usual process, then it is worth every penny.
Roar-duh
Contributor III

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But but... you mean that all of those people constantly complementing my voice won't just instantly throw gobs of cash at me??? Money Mouth

I'm definitely in this for the entire marathon... my first demo is just getting me into the general vicinity of the starting line. I'll be doing this in my spare time, and promptly putting any money I make into more coaching and workshops, a wider variety of demos, and gear-itis.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Roar-duh, this may sound very condescending but I don’t know how else to say it. After working in radio for 29 years, at major market for most of them, I’ve found radio salespeople to be some of the worst copy writers on the planet. If you want to go for 38 seconds of script in a 30 second spot, they win. But in the ‘less is more’ category, not one did I ever find that ‘got it’. I know that you need to please the client more than you need to please the talent, and the sound of the station in general isn’t as important as getting the check that runs it, at least in ‘sales-thought’, but overall, it was a constant battle of doing spots and sending them back because they didn’t fit in the time allowed and doing them again with a syllable or two knocked out and, well, wash, rinse, repeat. And BTW, prepositions, shouldn’t end sentences, as in, ‘copy that I had room for improvement with’. Remember, you’re a copy writer!

And while I was hesitating getting out of bed last Saturday morning, I flipped on the second of the new ‘Bill DeWees Podcasts’ that he’s touting in his email barrage. When his co-host mentioned getting on ‘Fiver’ because he knows of VO guys pulling in six figures there, I actually winced. And then, I actually wrote him, saying in part, ‘… I hate to be negative, but the mention of ‘Fiver’ made me cringe. I would be surprised if I’m the only one you’ll hear from on that and I hope you’ll steer potentials away from it. Once you put yourself in that category, it would be hard to get out and begin charging normal rates. As you know, you usually get what you pay for and Fiver isn’t good for the industry in general.’ I’ve yet to hear back from Bill.

Just thought I’d add to the discussion. And again, no offense Roar-duh. The relationship between radio sales and talent always seemed to be like a bathing suit with sand in the crotch. You could live with it, but at times it was extremely irritating

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: