VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Upgrade Path: Mic or Preamp?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
I have a pre-amp that would do a nice job but for the fact that it spends 99% of its' life in BY-PASS.

There are probably 3 reasons for shopping off (industry standards) catalogue.

1 -Cost
2- You know better than the industry
3- You've worked using the industry standard models and have been told you
sound better on something else.

That's the sort of rationale I've been operating under: Until I think I know better, I'll aspire to use what the big guns use.

But if your preamp is on bypass, how, then (he asked, revealing the depths of his ignorance), do you amplify your voice?

And what mic is that that we see behind your head in your avatar? What's good enough for Banksey is good enough for me, I should think.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TC"]
Banksey wrote:
And what mic is that that we see behind your head in your avatar? What's good enough for Banksey is good enough for me, I should think.

I'm curious as well.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The By-Pass function on a pre-amp does just that, by-passes the processing options on the pre-amp and only supplies the signal from the mic to the mixer/DAW. It still supplies the power.

If I am not mistaken, it is a black Neumann U-87.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
If I am not mistaken, it is a black Neumann U-87.

Mistaken you are it's a Battleship grey U87. I suppose technically it's UBoat grey.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It just depends on your end product.....if you are working or plan/hope to be working on projects for large post productions studios in NY or LA....the pre will make all the difference world.

Why? 'Cuz there's this thought, too:

Quote:
- It has been said by many great VO talent that you need to send raw audio to professional studios and let them take care of the processing.

I've got the AT 4033, dbx preamp, and use some of the pres (or versions therein) on my DAW (Adobe Audition) and I am complacent! (I must say it is normally the basic mp3 files I produce and send to radio stations or phone prompt managers or the like). But my interest is piqued with some of the other names that have been thrown out here and I underscore what Frank says about Marshall--a good mic for the moola.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Red 8 has no bypass switch. It's just smooth crisp, always "spot on" audio.

Tube mics....other pre's with processors....it's all relative. What really is "raw" audio??.....not to be a wise guy, but seriously. Every mic has it's own characteristics and color...some more true to the real deal than others.

It's like the old question...which came first, the pre or the mic......wait wasn't there like a chicken in there somewhere.....

If a pre falls over in an empty studio with no mics.....is there really any sound?

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
donrandall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What really is "raw" audio??.....not to be a wise guy, but seriously. Every mic has it's own characteristics and color...some more true to the real deal than others.

Give that man a cookie!

Sending raw audio to a producer may satisfy some sore of "minimalist" or "purist" urge - but so what? I know that a particular AKG mic lends slightly more presence and adds a small amount of crispness to my voice, factors which I like, but are not present in my AT4040. I use the Audio Technica because, even without those qualities, it does provide more detail and a slightly richer, fuller sound. I made a choice and accept the trade off. If I switched mics, I could have the little bump at around 3000 to 5000 that I like and claim that I am sending raw, untouched, unprocessed audio. Therefore, what?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the point, it's to justify processing audio. Smile If a client has never made a comment I see no harm in doing what you like to the sound.

Raw audio is supplied with the caveat "in so far as is reasonable. If the preamp is only supplying 48v and the EQ on any mixer is set at 0db then the audio is supplied "Raw". Interesting to note that a valve(tube) mic can't supply Raw audio as the first thing you voice hits is a grubby old tube which processes it - Basic fact. One can make a condenser sound like a tube but not the other way around

I have a friend who is a Hi-Fi purist. His speakers leads are made pure platinum, woven on the thighs of Indonesian virgins, lubricated with the oil from Dodo feathers. He has yet to buy any recording of anything because none are perfect, only geometry is perfect and a rhombus is notoriously difficult to dance to.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
woven on the thighs of Indonesian virgins, lubricated with the oil from Dodo feathers.

Now that is pure.... LOL!

I can always count on getting a hard, belly laugh from Banksey at least once a day. Thanks for adding some humor to my day. I nominate Banksey as the VO-BB member of the day today.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
donrandall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I see the point, it's to justify processing audio. If a client has never made a comment I see no harm in doing what you like to the sound.

If a client wants the audio track to have the noise of clock ticking or a lawn mower in the background, it is all fine and dandy with me just as long as the check cashes okay.

From time to time I have asked a client to tell me his or her preference and then enclose a track that is utterly raw and unprocessed accompanied by the same audio denoised, edited and tweaked ever so slightly. Some few tell me to send it raw and they will play with it and others have expressed their thanks and said they appreciate getting good stuff done right.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to crawl out of my hole for a moment for random thoughts....

Raw tracks have not been cooked. Once they're cooked, they're mastered. Over cooking spoils the meal.

All the contracts I have signed clearly state the audio requirements when I am recording in my studio at home. I have, in some cases, received presets for Waves plugins from some stations, otherwise, everything is sent flat with a -6db peak.

Mics. Everyone always makes the comments about the 416 and U87 being the standard VO mics. They are standards because engineers have used them for decades and know them like the back of their hands. They know how each mic takes EQ and compression. It's a known quantity.

Preamps. Preamps have different sonic footprints just like mics. Some are clean and others are colored. A result of specific input and/or output transformers, colored preamps adjust the frequency response (usually hyping the lows and highs) to some degree. That said, a Jensen transformer sounds different than a Sowter transformer which sounds different than a Lundahl transformer.

Rooms. Treated rooms also have a definite effect on what you hear and you may not be in a position to listen to what you recorded in a treated room....

Will any of these make a voice sound deeper, richer, bolder, etc... No. Singing lessons (classical) at $50/hr and lots of practice do, it also gets you a healthy case of orchestration.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was Awfully well articulated. Smile
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
I thought that was Awfully well articulated. Smile

Well, when you've been down in the hole writing becomes tough!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it when Kevin emerges into the light now and then.
You could come up for air more often than a cicada, though-- really.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right. The more often we hear from you the better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: