VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Be better tomorrow than you were today.....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Be better tomorrow than you were today..... Reply with quote

"Most of us think we're good but the truth is that we are probably not as good as we think we are". I am more than happy to include Philip Banks in that statement.

The voice over Kings and Queens do not post here and as far as I am able to tell, do not post anywhere else. This means that we all have rungs on the ladder to climb and thanks to DB we have a place to help each other grow.

The title of this thread could be "voice in an empty room" because that is the attitude required. No mics, voice booths, compressors, impellors, propellors, expelairs, ProTools or all the other clutter. It's just me and you sat in an empty room hoping to help each other sound better tomorrow than we did today.

In time this thread could evolve into the ultimate voice over coaching session.

Okay, enough of the preamble, here's an opening thought.

Some believe that the inability to act does not close the door to becoming a voice over. I know that it's impossible to find a mood, an attitude, a character and to get the best read without some intuitive acting(performance) skills.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some believe that the inability to act does not close the door to becoming a voice over. I know that it's impossible to find a mood, an attitude, a character and to get the best read without some intuitive acting(performance) skills.

There are many niches in this business. Some VOs only read math textbooks. That may be as close as you can get to not needing acting ability to do VO.

Lack of acting ability does not have to mean the person is also unable to read in anything but a monotone. Some liveliness might be advisable even in reading dry text.

I'm put in mind of a New Yorker cartoon from years ago, showing two mathematicians taking turns writing complicated equations on the chalk board, then one of the equations strikes their funny bone and they both burst into gales of laughter.

Apart from extreme cases, I agree that some acting ability is very important. Having a beautiful voice is perhaps the least important although it's a wonderful bonus (and of course some clients are looking for a beautiful voice too). Being able to take the copy the client provides and turn those words into phrases that sound good is what I would consider to be the most important component of success in VO (apart from perseverance) - in other words (no, not other words, the same words!) - interpretation.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience as a stage actor has been crucial to my success as a character voice and it's also quite valuable to my ability to use mental images for "regular" reads.
A stage actor learns to use his whole body as an instrument, and may be much freer in the use of gesture to help his voice acting. I always have to teach people to use their hands when they're reading.

Stage actors usually know a thing of two about their vocal aparatus and breath support. I frankly think it's worthwhile to keep up one's acting chops whether in an acting class or even in a community theater. You may not be among the Ethel Barrymores of the world, but you will be exercising.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm afraid I have to disagree to an certain extent. In the case of standard voiceovers I do not believe you need to "act" to succeed. I do believe you need to be in touch with your own emotions and memories to get in the frame of mind to deliver the copy in a way that is true to you, which is different for each individual person. If you believe acting helps you achieve that goal, then you certainly should include that as part of your mechanism. If you have studied and know yourself, you should have little difficulty looking down at the copy, quickly memorizing the next line, looking away from the copy and giving real life delivery. One of the first books I read this year was called "Stop Acting" and this is the approach used. In the end, if you are not studying "something" you really have no way to track your success.

Of Mice and Men and Kings & Queens, I do know a few who are lurking around these pages but will never post, they laughed heartily at the gear section, which I love, but they KISS and go ... that's it. At some point, however, you have to draw the line. How many times can you answer the same question, with the same answer, then log in to a forum and see the same question from the same person you spoke with moments earlier who just found the forum.

Kevin
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:
I do not believe you need to "act" to succeed. I do believe you need to be in touch with your own emotions and memories to get in the frame of mind to deliver the copy in a way that is true to you, which is different for each individual person.

d00d-- that IS acting!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything that portrays something you aren't in the context of this thread IS acting. May be there are some voice overs who rush out and buy the New Nissan Insult from Ptomac Pontiac and Japanese imports because they believe it is an unmissable bargain.

Laurence Oliver "My dear fellow, you look awful!"

Dustin Hoffman "In the next scene I have to come across like I've been up all night so I stayed up ...all night"

Laurence Olivier "I should try acting dear boy, it's much easier!"

I suppose this thread is really an idea deposit box. Drop an idea in that you feel works and explain why. There really isn't any need to disagree or agree, just make a deposit.
scooter2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: be better tomorrow than today. Reply with quote

One of my favorite mottos is, "It ain't what you got (voice)..it's what you do with what you got (act.)

scott-0
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reading for a textbook I was asked to redo a section and tone down the experessiveness. I was going from the memory of being put to sleep by droning professors in school and wanted to give the animated and interested delivery that students appreciate but was told that, while good in the classroom, the personable approach is distracting from the material in audio texts. Just as diction must be "transparent" and not call attention to itself, apparently so must be the expression when one is delivering a technical subject.

I imagine if the subject were in the Humanities the opposite would be the case.

PJ
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't always appropriate to sing the voice over song for certain texts. Particularly with technical pieces the phrase "back off!" springs to mind.

Everyone knows I'm a voice over but there are times when it's preferable that I don't sound like one. The toughest job most producers and directors have is getting voice artists OUT of voice over mode. If you do station imaging, the next time you go into a bar order your drinks in your best imaging voice, my guess is you'll get some very odd looks.
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it acting? I dunno. I depends on how you want to define "acting" which is a contentious enough issue by itself. It is certainly performance of some kind. I know that none of us would sit down in front of a mic for a gig and simply be ourselves. How boring is that, to have a bunch of ordinary people dribbling out of your radio speaker. We are supposed to make life colorful and fun, or refined and elegant or erotic and charged or.....well, anything but ordinary. So, is it acting? I guess in the absence of any other suitable noun then we have to say "Yes". Maybe we should invent a new word for it, then we can go home happy.

Maiku.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to agree with Phillip to the extent that having some acting ability will provide you with more opportunities, since you will stand a better chance of achieving the sound the producer wants. I can't tell you how many times I've had to redefine my sound to suit the demands of the audition. While I have very little formal acting training, I do have some, and my years in radio, inventing characters, doing celebrity impressions, "theater of the mind", etc., really prepared me for the flexibility needed in order to shift gears and get into character.

That said, having a wide range, while a genuine benefit in smaller markets, can actually become a handicap in major markets, making it more difficult for agents and managers to "sell" you. In order for them to market you effectively, a "signature" sound is needed, and that might not always be who you "really" are (ideally it would be), but rather dictated by what is commercially viable at the time. Of course, the signature envelope is shaped largely by the type of work you are targeting.

To put this into context, I have only recently defined my "signature" style for theatrical trailer reads, since that is what I've been pursuing for the past couple of years. I had several styles I had developed, some better than others, but my manager stressed the importance of narrowing it down to a particular sound so he could more effectively market me. And it's been extremely challenging, learning to master this style of read. It is totally apart and 180 degrees away from promo reads, industrial reads or commercial reads. It is the typical breathy, textured, almost totally flat read that is in demand at present, yet uniquely mine. We'll see where it goes.

Having the ability to shift gears to be ready for the "next" trend is a very powerful weapn to have in your arsenal and that's where the acting chops can really come in handy. It will help you to emulate the sound that is selling, while giving you the necessary time to develop your own, unique signature and find yourself a niche within that narrowly defined target. But you'd better be prepared to work quickly. Perservere to be a "quick study". It helps.

The bottom line is the more arrows you can pull from your quill, whether it's acting, listening, interpreting copy, mic technique, breath control, etc., the better your chances of finding the bullseye of success in this business. The arrows are your tools. The bow is your signature.

I've had a couple of one on one VO workshop sessions with one of the aforementioned "Kings" in this business, who has since become a good friend and mentor. One of the things he mentioned as being helpful to VO work which surprised me because I never gave any thought to it before is... singing. I guess that's where breath and vocal management comes in to the equation.

I also agree with Phillip that this work is an evolution. Unlike camera acting, time is your friend in the VO business. With it, you gain experience, seeasoning and if you open yourself up to it, improvement.
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that where my acting background helps me is in taking direction. So often the read they are looking for is completely different than what you would have thought from reading the script. In those cases being able to take direction quickly and provide them with what they want is a big plus.

I sing as well and do singing warmups and a difficult song in the car on my way to a job. Great way for me to free up my voice.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the "singing" part leaves me out... "I can't carry a tune in a bucket". I do however get requests quite often to sing "Way Out On a Mountain" - way, way out.... :oops:

O.K., I believe that we are ACTORS (and ACTRESSES - so it is). Each of must act the part of the VO we are doing... that is what makes us great... even the Kings and Queeens of the business are not in person, what the portray in their performance.

Here in the West - at least in this state - Utah, there is a saying from a man who first came into the Salt Lake valley back in the 1800's - he said "This Is The Place".

Now you know the saying - think of how many ways YOU might say it... as an epic statement, as a question, with a laugh, with a smirk, etc. Each has a different conotation. History does not record how this man said the line, but I like the thought that he said it as a question... Sticking out Tongue

You/We are paid to be a character who can portray the image or thoughts of the intened script - with your/our voice(s) - no props, no make-up, no crutches.

I have my niche' and I have the ability to sound other ways as well. Hard sell, soft sell, used car dealer, romantic, man-on-the-street; all have the same "me" in them, but they are different interpetations of how I see the script.

Yes, Don LaFontaine has a "trademark" sound and style...however, notice lately that Don's "style" is changing... He is not as "kick-but" ROCK SOLID. A bit softer Don? Maybe, but it is nice... How are you changing your sound each time YOU do a different project?

Frank F
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mention this quite a bit, I played music right up through the Conservatory years. When people tell you to sing, it really has very little to do with the breathing (although it does help you to breath from the diaphragm), it's the phrasing that you learn, that's what singing does. That's what playing any instrument does and done properly can easily be translated to other things in your life. Singers, in particular, learn to sing with a frown, a smile and all ranges inbetween. Also, singing exercises will help your voice develop, so it sounds full.

Kevin
Simon Fellows
Contributor III

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything, out loud, in front of other people, I would consider as performing. Everybody does it, every day. We all take on personas in different situations. That is something you learn, whatever it is you do; actor, musician, telemarketer, used car salesman or VO. In short - we're all actors; it's just the medium we happen to end up operating in that defines what we do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: