VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home studio rates?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Home studio rates? Reply with quote

Thanks to the good folks on this board, especially Kevin Genus, I have completed my home studio. As luck would have it, the very first gig I get pays for the entire damned thing. Yeah me! Which brings me to my question: Do you charge for studio time? The gig, mentioned above, was a web based tutorial and needed over 480 seperate MP3s. The read took only 4 to 5 hrs. The total time(reading, editing and transfer to appropriate sample rate) was over 50 hrs, including revisions. I charged a rate of $55 per hour and was wondering if you all thought this was on, under, or over target?

Thanks!
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, about not indentifying myself in the post above. I was logged off before I finished the posting.

Thanks again!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds on target to me.

My studio time is $50 per hour.
Jeffers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Home studio rates? Reply with quote

Okay so you charge for your time, your studio time and then the product/lines/script??

Forgive me but I just want to understand.

Thanks for putting up with me!! Smile

Jeff
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The read is one fee, the editing is another.

That's the way I do it. Some folks charge for the studio time spent reading, because that's a cost that would occur at a "regular" recording studio.
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. For those clients that are regular VO customers, the flat rate studio fees come into play when an edit/production project comes along that doesn't include any voice work. For me it's more about maintaining relationships when it comes to that stuff since you don't really see alot of it...but at the same time you don't want to "give it away".

Something I do for regular clients. Turn it around quick...make somebodys day easier. It pays off down the road. Smile
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Dan-O! Glad to hear everything worked out!

I use Quickbooks and bill everything as a unit. What this allows me to do is set one price for everything and give different clients, different discounts, based on the volume and frequency of work I get. I bill for the VO and studio time separately. I'll usually credit the cost of the studio time unless its a client like Verizon were I am working directly for the company and not through another studio. For another client, like the "Buffalo Wing House" I charge them and throw in the credit because I like it when they say, "It's on the house" when I'm eating there.

In a previous post, I mentioned charging a certain fee for specific gear use. If someone wants "that" sound I'll use my Lawson L47 mic, it's a line item. If they want "that" sound, I'll use my Sennheiser 416, it's a different line item. I do this for reporting, so I can look back in my records and know what was used on each client's job. I know it sounds like a lot of work, bordering on stupid, but it helps you get organized and gives you a way of looking back at what you provided that client.

I came up with this after reading GearSlutz AND asking one of those big name cartoon VO artists the following question: If a VO artist was required to show up to the session with his/her mic, what would you have. His answer was three (3) mics. So, I basically set up mic/pre packages that I assign to a client so it's pretty consistent.

To quote a price, it just becomes basic math.... X prompts at $X per prompt. Is there a discount for this client? Which package is needed (phone prompts get the SM57 or the RCA 74 Ribbon in my place)? Kick the quote.

Hope that helps, or provides clear confusion....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: