VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gotta rant....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Gotta rant.... Reply with quote

Hey, just wanted to get something off my chest. Why is it that some college station "pd's" and some internet broadcasters expect imaging or VO work for free or at a RIDICULOUS rate? Had a guy from a college station contact me and explain that he needed 30 liners fully produced. Problem was he didn't have any money and wanted to know if I'd do them for free! Two words...HELL NO! Honestly, one or two I'd probably have helped him out but 32 FULLY PRODUCED. Then another guy for an internet station wanted 20 fully produced to kick off his station with. I asked his budget and he said $50. I explained that that might get him 5 dry. Of course I was nice and polite turning down there request and explained why then sent them to radiodaddy. Just wanted to vent a little and get it off my chest. Now time for another cup of coffee and start the day.Smile
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can't blame them for trying for high quality first. Laugh

It is insulting for them to ask for free work, though!
Chutzpah.

If they're going to ask for charity they should at least grovel and beg.
Well, no.. strike that. Even then it's ridiculous and insulting.

I love the kids who try to lay a guilt trip at my feet because I don't stop everything else I'm doing and read their shit for free. My corporate clients aren't anywhere near as annoying, even when there's a tight deadline.
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a UK hospital radio station ask me to voice some ID for free just lately.
Not that politely, either.
I gave them the benefit of the doubt, and said yes.
I got back a HUGE script of several pages, badly written and laid out, and told they wanted full production and many different DJ names for each script - which made their long script even longer.
Pah!
I recorded them dry, sent the file and said "Sorry, you'll have to produce these yourself, I'm very busy"
Never even got a thank you.
Last time I'll do anything for free for anyone who does not give good letter.
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly less insulting than your college-radio guy was the fellow who recently contacted me offering $20.00 for 30 minutes of narration...to be done in a character (impression) voice to boot. Granted, at least was offering some payment, but that's a money-losing proposition in terms of time and labor.

Frankly, I don't know why a college radio station would want to sound like a major-market CHR station anyway. They're not going to beat those outfits in the ratings...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand where you guys are coming from. But, these guys are taught to ask. It doesn't hurt them any, their college radio so they don't really have much of a reputation. And you never know who might say yes. They do it for software too. And some companies will provide it for free, or a deep discount in the hopes that the students will remember them and buy their software when they get out in the "real world." Actually, that's why I chose Music Master as my music scheduling software once. I already knew it from college.

Radio Daddy seems to have some people's shorts in a bunch since they have to pay $6 for it. OH GOSH!!!!!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being taught to ask is fine!

You never know when someone is going to feel generous.
It isn't the asking itself as much as the ASSUMPTION of receipt, or the general attitude of the asking party.

I still do free stuff now and then, but it's because the request is right and plenty of appreciation is present.
I've done a great amount of free stuff for college kids in the past, though, with the understanding that I'd receive a copy of the completed piece and I have had only 2 instances of follow-through.

So.. I very rarely do stuff for free now.
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone makes some good points. I've been using Radiodaddy to try and get my voice out there, and it seems that there's more takers there than those who truely appreciate the work. Yes, I know I have a daytime job and I'm not going to go hungry doing RD, but hey, a thank you does feel good. I'm trying to get my foot in the door here and see if anything leads to paying work, but a lot of the kids seem to think that we're all willing to keep giving away the kitchen sink every damn day. Hopefully soon, once the tax money comes in, I'll be able to afford to start properly marketing myself and I won't have to do the free stuff just to get my voice heard. Thanks for letting me spout with my 2 and a half cents.

Chris

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: