VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noise Reduction

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Noise Reduction Reply with quote

Hi guys---

Been reading some of the topics/posts below regarding reducing room noise--Not yet mentioned is a wonderful tool--Downward expansion. It's almost the same as a noise gate, but less severe. What it essentially does is lower the mic volume dramatically (it's more technical than that but ....) whenever you're not speaking. It does the job very well. The one I like and use is the Symetrix 528e, which also serves as my preamp. Some folks like the DBX 286 which is less expensive, but I'm not sure it's as high-quality as the 528e. You can get the Symetrix for about 500 bucks, maybe a bit less; the DBX for about 200.
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Noise Reduction Reply with quote

ballenberg wrote:
Hi guys---

Been reading some of the topics/posts below regarding reducing room noise--Not yet mentioned is a wonderful tool--Downward expansion.

This is what I use and it works very well. I prefer to do in software where I have more control. I can easily get 6 to 12 dB reduction without any noticable artifacts on the main signal. If I need more and want to avoid cutting off the beginning of fricatives etc then I make a copy of the main audio, shift it forward by a few milliseconds, route it to an aux channel, then use that as the trigger for the expander.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Waves Renaissance Vox Reply with quote

I don't know why I failed to mention this the other day, but the Waves Renaissance Vox is the best ITB processor I've ever used. Here's the description from their site:

"Renaissance Vox is a vocal processor or the world's easiest compressor. Designed for enhancing and focusing voice clarity while pushing out background noise. It is true magic for lead vocal, instrument tracks or radio voice-overs." --Waves

If you like analog sounding plugs, check out their demos.... You can find the bundle for $450 at most places. There's also six additional plugins in the package, one being an incredible DeEsser.

I'm shutting up because I'm starting to sound like a salesman. I'm a very happy user.

Kevin
johnbailey
Contributor II

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Symetrixe 528E, too, and love the downward expansion. I also listen back to my recordings and cut out my breaths and mute any unwanted noise that occurs during pauses. Am I the only one who does this?
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to know how one wires one of these units into their system.

Mic=>processor=>mixer=>computer? XLR, 1/4 inch, hardwire?

Thinking of picking one up.

Thanks
johnbailey
Contributor II

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

I use XLR plugs from the mic into the Symetrix, then use 1/4" out of that into my audio card. I could (and probably should) use XLR into the audio card, but there's less exposed cable if I use 1/4". The audio card connects to my computer via USB cable.
Joe Whistler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy wrote:
I'm curious to know how one wires one of these units into their system.

Mic=>processor=>mixer=>computer? XLR, 1/4 inch, hardwire?

Thinking of picking one up.

Thanks

We have a Focusrite Voicemaster Pro Pre amp. It's got a great expander, compression, and EQ. To keep the recording stream as clean as possible, we run Mic > Pre > A/D > Computer.

I route the monitor output from the pre into a mixer, and mix in a channel for the phone patch. It never crosses paths with the recording channel that way, but all the channels get passed into the patch and can run out to your monitors from there also.

Figuring out the correct cabling is always the challenge for me. For instance, it took me about a week to figure out that the cable out from my Focusrite into the A/D box needed to be XLR > 1/4" balanced jack. I started out using XLR on both ends, but was getting too much noise. The tech support guy at Focusrite steered me to the solution. They were VERY responsive and helpful and, on that point alone, I'd recommend their products.
Joe Whistler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come my Quotes don't appear in a box like other peoples? Am I not worthy?
billelder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, I see your quotes. Maybe I'm just clairvoyant. Smile
Latech70

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billelder wrote:
Joe, I see your quotes. Maybe I'm just clairvoyant. Smile

Yeah, I see 'em, too. But, Joe, if you were talking about your attempt at quoting in the other thread, I addressed that in that thread (http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=94). You just had an end quote tag at the beginning of your attempted quote.

For example:
Code:
[/quote]
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Waves Renaissance Vox Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:
I don't know why I failed to mention this the other day, but the Waves Renaissance Vox is the best ITB processor I've ever used.

Kevin

Hey, Kevin! I picked up the Musicians Bundle from Waves for $200 that inclues the Renaissance Vox. I installed it last night and it's really good. It improves the S/N level and overall quality of the sound.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: