VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cool Edit Users---Need help tracking down problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Cool Edit Users---Need help tracking down problems Reply with quote

I'm getting skipping and stuttering on playback. Also, I'm noticing skips in recording.

About a week ago my Windows operating system crashed. I had to take the CPU in for repair and have the OS re-loaded. That's a nightmare I wish on only my worst enemy. It meant having to re-load every program. Since then, I've been having problems with playback and some issues recording. I've toyed with the buffers in all kinds of different configurations, but it's all been to no avial. Any ideas?

The computer is very old. I'm thinking It's time to replace it.

Thanks.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to see how much space you have available, also check under Options>settings>system to see if you have allocated your space avaiable properly. Are you using system cache?

Are your resources depleted by having too many items whcih take up resources in in your "Startup" file (look on the bottom right side of the toolbar for windows... if you have lots and lots of items there... you could be in trouble...

Frank F
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Frank I'll check those areas.
Joe Whistler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool Edit Users---Need help tracking down problems Reply with quote

Andy wrote:
I'm getting skipping and stuttering on playback. Also, I'm noticing skips in recording.

About a week ago my Windows operating system crashed. I had to take the CPU in for repair and have the OS re-loaded. That's a nightmare I wish on only my worst enemy. It meant having to re-load every program. Since then, I've been having problems with playback and some issues recording. I've toyed with the buffers in all kinds of different configurations, but it's all been to no avial. Any ideas?

The computer is very old. I'm thinking It's time to replace it.

Thanks.

There are a lot of things that could be playing a part here, and it could be a combination of things.

What version of Windows? If you simply reloaded Windows, then all other contents of your hard drive are still there. If the hard drive is getting full, or more than 75%, it could play a role.

Are you using an internal soundcard? Do you have the latest version drivers loaded for the sound card? Don't forget the latest video drivers, too. Set sytem colors to 16K colors.

Check your Windows processes and see what's running in the background. Many programs now load "Automatic update" managers (including Windows XP), that run quietly in the background and jump in randomly to check if there's an update available. KILL all those type of processes and prevent them from loading at startup.

If you have two hard drives, set Windows to write it's temporary files to drive 2. Have Cool Edit do the same. Set your drives to use DMA processing control.

Defrag your drives.

Maybe some of this will help. If it doesn't, at least you've eliminated those possibiliites.

Regards
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of Windows? If you simply reloaded Windows, then all other contents of your hard drive are still there. If the hard drive is getting full, or more than 75%, it could play a role.

I'm Using Win 98. I have C.E.P on my computer at work. Odd thing is down in the corner I have 77 GB of free space. At home only 3.6 GB. I'm not sure what's going on there. How do I free up more space? All I'm running on the home box is what's necessary: Win OS, Word, DSL Connection MGR, Soundblaster Live, IOmega Hotburn, Adaware, Cool Edit, & Norton Anti-Virus

Are you using an internal soundcard? Do you have the latest version drivers loaded for the sound card? Don't forget the latest video drivers, too. Set sytem colors to 16K colors.

I'm using SoundBlaster Live! Yes it's inernal. And as best as I can tell, I'm using the latest drivers. How could I tell? Video drivers? Not sure what you mean there. I do have my display settings at "real colors", not 16K.

Check your Windows processes and see what's running in the background. Many programs now load "Automatic update" managers (including Windows XP), that run quietly in the background and jump in randomly to check if there's an update available. KILL all those type of processes and prevent them from loading at startup.

I'm not real swift at understanding Windows systems. How do I prevent updates from loading at startup? Heck, since the computer came back from repair, It turns on automatically at midnight. Can't seem to find the kill order for that anywhere in scheduled tasks.

If you have two hard drives, set Windows to write it's temporary files to drive 2. Have Cool Edit do the same. Set your drives to use DMA processing control.

I only have one hard drive---it's 100 GB. How do I set the drives to use DMA Processing control? Sorry, when it comes to some of this stuff, I'm stoopit, well ignorant and trying to learn.

Defrag your drives.

Hey, that I know how to do.

I really appreciate all the help you folks are giving me.

[/b]
Joe Whistler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's start with the basics....

You have a 100 GB hd and <4 GB Free? That will raise my suspicions right there. I would recommend clearing out your primary HD and adding a 2nd 100 GB HD so you can move all your temp files to the 2nd HD. My rule of thumb is to have 25% free HD space.

Things like anti virus software, connection manager, IOmega Hotburn, Adaware, are all running in the background, sucking up clock cycles.

The other consideration is RAM memory. You should have minimum of 512 MB.

Win98SE would be fine for running CE without all the other stuff.

To check DMA control, right click on My Computer, then go to properties and click on hardware manager. Right click on IDE controllers and I think there's an "Advanced" tab where you can select to turn DMA on. (I don't have a Win98 machine, so am doing this from memory.)

From the "Run" box on the startup memory, type in "msconfig". There's a startup tab where you can see what programs are loading on startup. You can unselect programs you don't need when recording.

You really have a trial by elimination problem here...just have to go through and try things out....but it really sounds like you're running low on disk space, too.

Good Luck!
Bo Hudson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Wow, you sound like you're about where I was three years ago. Computer crashing, having to reload on every program , what a nightmare eh?

YOu have a 100 GB hardrive though and I'm jealous!!

I actually have had some of the same problems you're having, with the skipping etc. and for my computer, it's about it not having enough memory. When I have too many programs open, the Cool Edit will do really nutty things. (another reason I'm buying a new laptop Smile What I really HATE is when I have recorded a segment, I go back to listen and it sounds very s-l-o-w----and lower pitch. When stuff like that happens I have to shut down everything, and only have one Cool Edit window open at a time. Like today, I did a lot of work, and had to close out Cool Edit and reopen it every time to start fresh so none of the above would happen. My computer has served me very well, but it's old, and needs to be repalced. Good luck!!!
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, this may really be kind of obvious: Upgrade to XP. The XP O/S is incredibly stable, compared to 98.

You'll not regret the decision. And, of course, make sure you've got enough RAM. I've got it running on an old Dell with a 650 mhz cpu (my standby machine), with no problems at all. It worked well with the M-box, too.

cc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who helped me try to figure out my CEP problem. In the end, it comes down to the fact my 'puter box is old. It's running on a Pentium (r) II processor (circa 1996) with about 128 OMB of RAM. Although I have more than 80% free disk space, "O'le Bessy" can only run as fast as her factory installed "transmission" will allow her. My newer CPU at work is giving me 486 OMB of RAM.

Again, thanks.
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Windows XP Service Pack 2 causes "skip" and " Reply with quote

Hi - I installed Wondows XP Service Pack 2 and got terrific amount of crackle, skip and stuter on playback. Once I uninstalled it, everything was fine.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to our group. You'll find us all most helpful and supportive.

At the suggestion of my computer repair person, I went to the Creative web site and updated my Soundblaster Live! drivers. That was a good call. The improvement was huge. My recordings are much better. For those of you with Creative sound card products, he suggests checking in on their site every few months for updates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: