VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is VOICE 2008 worth it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toto-too

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Is VOICE 2008 worth it? Reply with quote

Hi I'm the new comer to this site and I'm looking for reasons to go and not to go to the VOICE 2008 seminar. Please tell me what you know! Thanks, Mary
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be surprised if you get few replies on why not to go. Most people aren't too keen on that kind of negativity in a public forum.
toto-too

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I should reword myself. I'm looking for consturctive criticism of VOICE 2008 so I can make a decision about attending.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is VOICE 2008 worht it? Reply with quote

I'll probably get slapped for this...

If the fee is an object... I would say don't go.
If you had no interest in voice overs... I would say don't go.
After reading your profile, I'm asking a question... What is your interest in voice overs? The reason I'm asking is this... Why would anyone want to spend $600 to go to a voice over convention, if they had no interest in voice overs?
I hope I haven't offended you, it wasn't meant to be that way. It's just that when someone asks a ballpark question, I'd like to know if they're on the playing field or in the bleachers.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
toto-too

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no offence taken, I am a voice over talent whose getting back in the business and I want to give myself the opportunity to hear what the industry wants, its been about 7yrs since I have worked. I know the industry has changed in that time. I'm wondering if this is money well spent.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read your reason for possibly going and it isn't good enough. Reading all the material on this board will give you a much better idea of what is required of a Voice Over in 2008 and beyond. If you would like to talk to people, most of us will happily take a phone call or if you live nearby would arrange to meet for coffee, lunch or dinner.

Deep down, the reason most people are going to Voice2008 is because they really want to go. Don't try to justify attending but ensure you don't take food off the table to fund it.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary, We have discussed the merits of this subject many many times here.

I'll be you can find quite a bit of discourse by doing a Google search like this:

"Voice 2008" site:vo-bb.com

I moved this thread out of EVENTS, because that forum is for notices announcing events.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your total cost of going will be about $2,000 if you stay at the convention's hotel, and it makes little sense to stay somewhere else unless you can bunk for free with a friend or family member close to the hotel. Add to this your transportation to LA.

If you're getting back into the business it may give you the inspiration and information you need, plus some helpful contacts. Chances are, if you apply yourself, you'll get back far more than your expenses. However Banksey is quite correct to say that you can stay home and get most of the same information by perusing our archives here. The only thing you'll miss is actual face time. (There's a line I could add here, but I'm told breakfast is ready.)

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: