VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I now have a website, I think. . .

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: I now have a website, I think. . . Reply with quote

Hey all,

I have a spot on myspace.com if anyone wants to actually see it, I'm planning on putting some demos there (just some 1 min wave files that I created with the sound recorder and a stick mic) if I can figure out how. There IS a picture of me on there if anyone was curious. Hope you all stop by and visit. See you soon!

Chris

PS. The address is in my signature line.

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally figured some things out on my computer. I've been using my little Labtech 504 computer mic to do some VO stuff on the sound recorder on this computer. It's all I've got for now. I DID manage to enter the VOG Contest, although, I still need help getting clips posted for people to take a listen to. I really would appreciate anyone and everyone listening to what I'm doing. I'm all for constructive criticism. Until I get to the point of a real demo, I'm probably going to be doing things this way for a little while. At least until I can get a better sound program and maybe a mixer board. Winning those headphones wouldn't be such a bad thing either. . . Wink

Chris

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris ---

Any presence on the web is better than none; however, you should at least look into using Voice123 or InteractiveVoices to point people to your demos. Your web page should focus only on your voice-over work. MySpace is more of a "friends/dating" site, and even though they allow you to list business categories for networking, it's not really that useful a tool for that purpose.

You can join V123 and IV without paying the fees, at least for now; that will allow you to have a page that prominently shows your demos.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhouston67 wrote:
Chris ---

Any presence on the web is better than none; however, you should at least look into using Voice123 or InteractiveVoices to point people to your demos. Your web page should focus only on your voice-over work. MySpace is more of a "friends/dating" site, and even though they allow you to list business categories for networking, it's not really that useful a tool for that purpose.

You can join V123 and IV without paying the fees, at least for now; that will allow you to have a page that prominently shows your demos.

Ditto... you don't sell ice cream in a hardware store. People don't go there to buy ice cream.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
TimDowns

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Websites Continued... Reply with quote

Hi All:
I Agree with the Assesment about MySpace, my teenagers use it to post pictures of each other and music they like, I'm not sure it would be taken seriously.

I Am trying to Create my own Site on "1 & 1"
and am having trouble with inserting a Demo. Support says "you can insert an html file but we don't support it"..and there are no instructions, so I may look elsewhere..

I have thought about using V123 or Interactive, but then I wonder is it a good idea to send clients to an area full of competitors?

Thanks,
Tim
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Websites Continued... Reply with quote

TimDowns wrote:
I have thought about using V123 or Interactive, but then I wonder is it a good idea to send clients to an area full of competitors?

I honestly do not believe there are many competitors. Like, everybody's got a voice. Every being on the planet is your competition. It's not that there isn't other talent out there that might get business. Usually, one person does. Although, after using Opera for a bit and getting the voice recognition software perking was quite enlightening about the possiblities of speech recognition software. The damned browser will read a web page faultlessly in a computerized voice!

The fact is, many clients do not know what they're seeking. But, they know it when they hear it. Figuring out what's in the client's mind is a crap shoot, at best. Since each of us is unique, I think VO is closer to golf than anything else. Tiger and the boys are great, but they're really playing against themselves most of the time. And, if you ask 'em, I bet that's what they'd say.

In any audition, there are probably several who get it "right". But, there's only one who's going to get the job. So, enjoy the competition. You may find you are better than yourself.

That's my $0.02.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with CC.

If you're on the web, then you're already in an "area full of competitors."

Don't look sideways.
Don't look back.
Just look ahead.

Free websites are worth the money you pay them. There are really affordable webhosting companies out there. As technology becomes cheaper and cheaper, there really is no reason not to have your own domain. Then, and only then, can the free websites (like V123, etc.) be useful (i.e., reciprocating links). Also, you shouldn't be afraid of setting up your own domain for fear of web design - there are many good templates out there that you can buy for a one-time fee then plug away and change text, links, etc.

-Anthony
Doc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

I use 1 and 1 and have no problems with uploading my demos. In fact, I'm quite happy with 1 and 1, except maybe for the slow support. It used to be substantially faster.

Can you be more specific? Maybe I can help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: