VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Avery CD Tray Cards-- Has anyone seen this?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Avery CD Tray Cards-- Has anyone seen this? Reply with quote

I do all my own graphics and printing. I buy Avery brand stuff all the time--I get it from Staples. The most recent purchase was CD tray cards (AKA jewel case inserts)-- a slightly different setup because this package "fits any size standard or slimline case!"

I, in my ignorance, foolishly thought the change was merely some new fold or score lines, but NO--
no no no.
There is only ONE SPINE on these case cards for the standard size CD case.
The Avery item number is 8693.
Boo Hiss. I will not be buying these in the future. I hope they haven't discontinued the ones I always relied on-- I only bought these because it was all Staples had.

the ones I love are 8931 when they are packaged with the danged CD labels which I don't need. Yipes-- I just looked at Staples.com and they have only the dreaded 8693 in the Avery Brand.

Oh, dear.
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the Avery site - got nothing back for a search on 8931 so it looks like they don't make them any more. It drives me crazy when they discontinue good products.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Thanks-- I did, too.

I liked the Avery paper because it was very friendly to the ink-- everything looked very saturated.

Oh, well. Back to the drawing board and NeatO products or something.
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes. Just when I thought Avery made a label for everything...

I burn and print my own CDs usually, but I have a nice ace in the hole:

I worked for a CD-manufacturer/label printing company for about four years. I left years ago, but I'm still friendly with the owner, and the art director has literally been my best friend for years.

Long story short, I get a pretty good deal on both professional-quality CDs and inserts; I might pay a bit more than I would doing it myself, but it's more than worth it to avoid hassles like the one above --- and the results are far beyond the "homemade" look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, You lucky devil. I'm green with envy. Barf

I bought one of those Espson printers that print directly on cd last year. I must say I'm pleased with it, beats the heck out of those sticky labels that jam up your cd player.

But of course that does nothing for the insert. I liked the Avery stuff too. Did my last set of business cards on Avery stock.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still burn CD's for public consumption? Enough to warrant buying tray cards?

When I started out on my own 4 and a half years ago I bought CD's and cases 100 at a time. I bought the last 100 over 2 years ago and still have 40 or so left. All I use them for are back-up of old files and the rare client who must have something to hold on to when they leave. -- I also got a FedEx account back then so I could zip these CD's cross country in a hurry. I've now used it once in the past two years for a non-business purpose. The times they are a changing.

Speaking of the rapid shift in technology, I have a Panasonic DAT player I'd like to sell. I bought it used for $400 (originally $2,800?) back when I started, in order to download all the commercials I had saved on DAT, and for all those customers who still relied on DATs. I haven't used it once since those first downloads.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still burn cds all the time, and not just for backup. A lot of our station clients like to have something tangible.

I have an old Tascam DA-30 mkII DAT sitting in a closet that was given to me. Never used it, but it's there "just in case."
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked on Ebay....Panasonic DATs like mine are going for $100 to $125, if they sell at all. Amazing.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check with Avery or buy another pack. In the rare instance, Avery products are cut wrong. According to the template for the 8693 there's supposed to be two spines, not one.

http://www.avery.com/contact/contact_usa.html#email

-Anthony
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avery is a bit wacky... I use their 5199 VHS labels all the time in my day job. Went to Staples or OfficeMax to pick some up for home use, and they didn't have it, only had this other 8xxx number with a trial offer of software. I picked that up (the 5199 has 10 face labels on a page and 15 spines, the 8xxx has face and spines for 4 tapes on one page) I didn't like the software (prefer to do it in Word) but coldn't get a template for that layout from the Avery site (they sure don't make it easy) I have a couple uses of the software left and was able to use up the remaining sheets,,, now at last look they don't even list the 8xxx labels on their website... like I said wacky. Gasp

Switched to Neato for stuff at home, just got the DVD cases and inserts so we'll see how that goes. Undecided
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Neat-O stuff too. Works great for me.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
You still burn CD's for public consumption? Enough to warrant buying tray cards?

Bruce Sans Pitie

I hear ya-- and I know what you're saying. I print business cards for that reason-- to point people toward The Font of Fabulous Sounds. But there are times where I just might need to give someone a CD so they can listen in their car or something.

You never know.
I brought a stack of neatly-made CDs to L.A.
Didn't dispense a single one.

bwa.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

Bruce Sans Pitie

I hear ya-- and I know what you're saying. I print business cards for that reason-- to point people toward The Font of Fabulous Sounds. But there are times where I just might need to give someone a CD so they can listen in their car or something.

You never know.
I brought a stack of neatly-made CDs to L.A.
Didn't dispense a single one.

bwa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: