VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Focusrite ISA 220
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Focusrite ISA 220 Reply with quote

I'm thinking about picking up a Focusrite ISA 220 to use with my Sennheiser MKH-416. Anyone have any experience with this combination?
Micazon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: vocal chain Reply with quote

Russ,

I think it would be a great combination. Let's us know.

Micazon
stevemitchell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly the same setup I have and I love it. The preamp section is top-notch, the EQ section is very versatile and I suggest you use it to tweak your sound just so...the compressor/limiter is powerful and more than enough. The only downside is there is no gate. With the 416 being kinda bright, I've wondered what a tube pre-amp or plug-in would do. But this chain is sweeeet as is.

steve
www.stevemitchellvoiceworks.com
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, it's on my "to try" list.
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright after listening to Steve's stuff and doing some checking I've bit the bullet. Got one on the way.Smile
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww man. Can I come over to your house to play?

Sounds sweet. You know you'll have to post samples when you get it right?
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. Have you heard Steve's stuff? The MKH-416 and ISA combo sounds really good. Plus I've talked to some other VO people who use it with the MKH-416 and heard their stuff. Can't wait for it to get here and play!
donrandall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people like it and some people hate it. I remembered an online article that I ran into while looking for something else, once upon a time, so I went back and found it again. Here what Cory Burton says about it:

http://www.coreyburton.com/sennheiser.html

Quote:
So maybe you wouldn't mind your wedding pictures being taken with the driver's license cameras at the DMV...

And that was one of the nicer things he said about it!
stevemitchell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I remember seeing that article. Because your voice is unique, with its own special timbre, you'll have to search for the mic (and processing) that suits you best and to shape your sound (does that make sense?). My voice has a natural bottom to it, so a mic like an AKG 414 wouldn't work for me. I had an Avalon 737, great sound, but too many tubes for my voice. Over the years, I have tried many different combinations of mics and processing....I got lucky with the 416 and the 220. That's the cruel truth of our business....you'll ALWAYS find some new toy you gotta have! My local gear supplier LOVES it when I call cause he's about to get some of my money!
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donrandall wrote:
Some people like it and some people hate it. I remembered an online article that I ran into while looking for something else, once upon a time, so I went back and found it again. Here what Cory Burton says about it:

http://www.coreyburton.com/sennheiser.html

Quote:
So maybe you wouldn't mind your wedding pictures being taken with the driver's license cameras at the DMV...

And that was one of the nicer things he said about it!

Yeah I read that same article and for certain type of VO's no, it's not the right choice, but I've been using one for about 3 month's and I can honestly say it's staying. It's my main go to mic for what I do. I've read and heard more good things about it than bad and that's why I tried it. Some like it, some hate it, it happens to work with my voice so that's my weapon of choice.Smile
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt there's such a thing as too many tubes, if you're working with tubes and they don't sound right something else may be going on.

The 416 with a tube preamp sounds amazing. I use two tube preamps, a Manley Voxbox and a Requisite Audio PAL+. Both are tube based, both sound very different with any mic. The Voxbox's transformer produces a large console sound, the Requisite Audio PAL+ is much more natural, it's sounds like you're in the same room and you can't hear the compressor until it's working beyond -10db.

I should note that they sound different enough that anyone working with either could tell the different between the two, throw in the Avalon 737 and you'd hear that difference as well.

At any rate... I'm shutting up now.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VO-Guy wrote:
Will do. Have you heard Steve's stuff? The MKH-416 and ISA combo sounds really good. Plus I've talked to some other VO people who use it with the MKH-416 and heard their stuff. Can't wait for it to get here and play!

I've been sipping on a beer and going though lots of Steve's audio. Sounds great!
donrandall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Because your voice is unique, with its own special timbre, you'll have to search for the mic (and processing) that suits you best and to shape your sound (does that make sense?)

Yep - shure do (oh geeze, I just love bad puns! Heh, heh, heh....yuk, yuk, yuk....

My voice needs a little help to remove a certain tendency toward "thickness". A small amount of eq is enough to sharpen it and make it a bit more crisp.

I really wish I could remember what the mic was that we used on air and in the production room at a station I worked at years ago. It looked like a dynamic rather than a condenser mic, but as I recall, we had to replace a AA or AAA battery in it once in a while, so I suspect it may have been a small condenser mic. I keep thinking it was an ADK or AKG, but I can't convince myself that either is correct after looking at websites. Hmmmmm......
In any event, it was so incredibly clean and clear for me that I would probably buy one - if I only knew what the heck it is!

Either that, or I'd spend the money freshening up my dirtbike so I can go to Moab with everything ship shape! Priorities, ya know.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also ... if you're really interested in that particular vendor, their original 110, designed by Rupert Neve, is considered to be one of their better units. Don't let the numbers fool you....
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've heard about the 110. My ultimate goal is to eventually get a D.W. Fearn VT-1 to go onto the front of the ISA 220 for the pre. I've heard the Fearn on some VO stuff and it's definitely impressive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: