VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great Free Source for Animation Practice Copy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RayAnime
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Great Free Source for Animation Practice Copy Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I just took a class with Bob Bergen here in NYC and he mentioned that comic books are a great resource for animation-style copy to play around with (from using the dialog to piecing the copy from different frames together into a larger coherent "script") .

If you're interested in trying it out and don't feel like running to your local nerd heaven to pick up the latest comics for 4 bucks a pop, you can download the first issue of a number of Vertigo titles for free via the DC comics website! There are about 29 or 30 free downloads in all, so that's a good chunk of material. I especially suggest "Fables," which is a really well-written and beautifully illustrated book, for anyone who may be a comic geek like me.

Here's the link:

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?cat=VERTIGO

Just a word to the wise, Vertigo is intended for more mature audiences so there may be blood, guts, nudity or what have you in these titles.

By the way, Bob's class was awesome. If you ever get the chance to study with him DO IT.
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

Thanks for the link. Very cool stuff there,.

By the way, where did you find out about that class?
RayAnime
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the second level of another class Bob taught in NYC in November, so it was the same group from that workshop. I don't remember how I found out about the first one though--I have some friends in LA who send me class info when they hear about it, so that might have been it.

If you want to take class with Bob (which I highly recommend), he's coming to NYC again in the end of May and will be teaching at Edge Studio. Last I heard they had a few spots left (I called because I'm considering going); I think it's $500 for two days. You can find out more info at www.edgestudio.com.

Also, if you go to www.bobbergen.com, I think you can contact Bob directly if you have a question about the class or to ask if he has a mailing list or anything like that.

It's really a great experience and I can't say enough good things about Bob & his teaching style--he is very good at giving clear direction, and he really pushes you, but in a way that's encouraging. You can't find animation training of this caliber on the east coast unless one of the LA crew (Bob, Pat Fraley, etc) travels out here so I say grab the opportunity when you can!
KaraEdwards
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took Bob's level 1 class in Atlanta- GREAT CLASS! I'm hoping he'll decide to bring his level 2 class to the area soon too Smile

Thanks for the link!

Kara Edwards
http://www.karaedwards.com
kara@karaedwards.com
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob's doing his thing with a bunch of us here in Boston in April. I'm so psyched!
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was with Rayanime for both classes, and from my earlier postings, you guys know how I feel about Bob.

After the second workshop, I still feel that training with him has been one of the best experiences in my VO career.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to chime in here too. I was with Rayanime and Greg in both of Bob's classes. Totally awesome. Would love to do it again! Hmmm.. Level 3?
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about a simple abduction, renting one of the offices in the building we were in, and chaining him there for our constant education...

but I think your way sounds much easier Smile

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: