VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Rates Reply with quote

We click on the link that reads "RATES" and see an extensive list of calculations to help us establish the cost of hiring Dick Thrust - a 64 year veteran of voice overs/air talent/shoe shine boy and catwalk model. ON NO WE DON'T!!! What we see is the following.

Every project is different except for those that are similar or nearly the same. We at Dick Thrust productions LLC tailor our productions to keep in mind your production and a whole bunch of other stuff. sometimes we can't be bothered so we just pluck a number out of thin air and hope you will go for it. Click here to send us the details of your project and how gullible you are or give us a call to discuss your requirements as it would be pointless to give us a call to discuss other people's requirements.

The message from potentail clients is clear (a) If you have a rates page PUT YOUR RATES and that means a number or set of numbers. (cool If you are not prepared to put your rates get rid of the rates page as it is doing you a disservice.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that I understand why any non-union talent would post their rates on their website anyway... for that matter why any talent would post their rates, since union rates are readily available and known by the industry.

I have a rate sheet that I work off of, but it's for my use I don't send it to anyone and quite truthfully have no intention of doing so in the future.

Why would you post something in black and white, that may or may not be in line with what a potential client can or cannot pay? While I have a rough guidline that I work from, Mr. Bob's House of Bolts is in all likelihood going to get a different rate than is a large multi-national corporation. However, if I post my rates, I'm pretty much pigeon holing myself to a certain rate level, and the perception that my rate reflects my ability, either appealing to Mr. Bob, Mr. MultiNational or somewhere in between. Why would I want to do that?

I personally prefer to handle each inquiry from a potential client on an individual basis. If I post my rates all they have to do is look and possibly click away. However, if they looked in the first place they were obviously interested in what they heard from my demos, why not encourage them to either send an e-mail or pick up the phone, at least that way I have the opportunity to guage their interest and work some magic!

I'm actually quite interested to see what others have to say on this one. I'm sure that there will be those of you who think my point of view is absolutely off base, but that's what this board is all about!

Cheers,
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a website a potential client needs to discover who you are, what you do, what you've done( no, what you've REALLY done), how you sound and how to get in touch if they like what they have discovered. When contact is made then is the time to discuss money.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a rate sheet. But, it's not published. If someone wants my rates I send them a link to it, with a caveat.

When I first contemplated getting into this business, I thought all I'd be doing is voice. Then, the gear came. Then, clients who want music. Then, the need to engineer and, finally, master the content. There's a lot of stuff involved and it varies by client.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a question I've been mulling. I've seen lots of sites (including some members on this site) with a RATES link and some variation of what Banksey posted. I'd love to hear an opposing viewpoint on this if anyone has one.
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like it when v/o's post their rates for all to see. That way I can gauge if my rates are in the ballpark. Would I post my own rates? No - for all the reasons mentioned above.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm most curious as to whether a VO with over 64 years of experience could still live up to his name. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is starting to tread the line.

Watch it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: