VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you turn a blank sheet of paper into a VO Resume?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: How do you turn a blank sheet of paper into a VO Resume? Reply with quote

Hi there,

My name is Christopher French. I'm brand spanking new to this bulletin board as well as to the world of Voice Overs. I am wondering if anyone would be able to help me out here. I'm feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed. I've been reading James Alburger's book and, while I'm understanding the ins and outs as he puts them, I live in a tiny little flyspeck of a community in South Central Michigan. I'm four hours from Chicago by train and about a million miles south of solid experience.

A friend of mine recently suggested that I do some VO work reading books on a volunteer basis for the visually impaired. I believe that it would be a good way to start. What do you think? I would appreciate any feedback or any help that anyone would be willing to give. I am currently working a full time job in the mental health field, but I would LOVE to turn Voice Overs into my full time career. I have had some acting experiences in my late teens before I joined the Navy, but that was 12 years ago. Anyway, before I ramble on anymore, I appreciate any and all comments and welcome them with an open mind and eagerness.

Thanks for listening,

Christopher French

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading aloud is definitely a good start.

Are you near Ann Arbor? Isn't Pamela Lewis from there (author of Talking Funny for Money")? I notice she's going to be on TV on Tuesday

http://www.aadl.org/events/aadltv

Since you've taken step 1 toward a career in VO - deciding you're interested - step 2 is to get some training. Shop around to see where you might be able to get it, but check out the coach before you plop down your money - there are lots of not-so-good ones. One of my first classes was online through the Learning Annex for about $13 - a bargain.

You've come to a great place for advice - the people on this board are some of the nicest you'll find, so stick around!

Mary McK.
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: :-) Reply with quote

A HUGE thank you to Mary!! Smile I appreciate the advice and I believe I will use that. I hope I can find something good. I do believe I will do the voiceovers for the visually impaired as well. Hope to hear from you again, I really appreciate the advice!

Chris

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher, You're not kidding about Hillsdale being a flyspeck. I see it's about a couple of hours from South Bend. My Mom and StepDad live there.

Being located in a small town like Hillsdale, you may want to check out a few of the local radio stations in the area, If they're small enough, they may let you voice a few commercials... if you've got the right "pipes". That would be harder to do in the bigger cities. Just be sure to do it "pro bono". The "training", as Mary suggested, is something you really need to have under your belt... the money will come in time.

Speaking of Jim Alburger... (He lives about 5 miles from me.) I took the 8 week class through Jim and Penny in 2004. Check out their website http://www.voiceacting.com/index.html . Lots of good stuff on the site.

"Break a leg"
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, boy-- just ready anything you can for people who need it read.
Reading books aloud is a great way to get used to your own sound, and get you introduced to your flexibility.

"Training" comes in many forms. If Flyspeck has a community theater, get with it. Acting is taking others' words and making them your own.
That is what we do.

Best o' luck.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're from Hillsdale??? Hillsdale College has a swell theatre & speech department - heck, they've even got Introduction to Broadcasting, and The Performing Voice, and all kinds of acting and directing classes. Get over there now, before the semester is in full swing and it's too late to sign up! Classes start Wednesday!! You probably have a job somewhere though - make some arrangement with your boss and just do it.

My father started out at Hillsdale College. I remember him singing some darn song that included the words,

My gal's a skinny frail
She comes from Old Hillsdale...

always deliberately off-key.

Memories....

And now back to you, Christopher...

P.S. James Alburger and Penny Abshire now have a tele-class.
Audiogal
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great advice you've been given. Talking books are great practice, classes help, too. A few I took in college years ago that really helped were called "Voice & Articulation" "Oral Interpretation" & "Phonetics."

Radio stations in small towns always need weekend help...great way to gain access to a studio to experiment in after hours. Good luck to ya!
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember from my stage training that we had to speak a lot of tounge twisters in order to improve our diction. Here are those that I remember. "Wether the weather is cold, or wether the weather is hot, we'll weather the weather whatever the weather, wether we like it or not!" "The big black bug bit the big black bear and the big black bear bled blood." "The licivious(sHobo Happy pleasings of a lute." Then there's always the old standbys, "Unique New York" or even, "Toy Boat". I'll tell you, saying "toy boat" six times fast can make your tounge hurt! Laugh Anyone know of any other tounge twisters? Let me know. I love good tounge twisters.

Chris

Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pirate snuck into my post! Gasp Rolls Eyes Geez! Those pirates just sneak in everywhere.

Chris

anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with the reading for the blind idea. If you do decide to read for the blind (I did it for about a month at RFB&D) make sure you're doing it because you want to help and volunteer your time, NOT because you want to be a voice-over actor. What's required in reading these books (which is mostly textbooks, by the way) is an almost emotionless straight-ahead read. Something you don't want to ingrain in yourself just starting out as a v-o actor.

When I first started, I did volunteer at RFB&D and then realized that I was doing it for the wrong reasons, and stopped. I'm looking for new volunteer opportunities locally, but not with the mind of it helping me with my career.

Bad idea. Yeah, you can get used to your voice, but you can do that with a cheap cassette recorder if you'd like.

-Anthony
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading for children can be an excellent form of self teaching. You get to play lots of characters, and if you can keep their attention for 15 or 30 minutes through clever reading, you're doing well. Check with local libraries and schools, and some major book stores such as Borders, have readers in their children's departments.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do RFB & D weekly, and have for over a year now. Anthony's right about doing it for the right reason. Personally, I wanted to (and still want) to use the gift to help people, one way or another. So, for me it's been a pleasure and a great training experience. Additionally, I can confidently say I've got endurance to DO narration of all genres.

Warning: RFB & D narration is not like anything you'd think. You've got to describe graphs, charts, mathematical equasions, artwork, maps, etc. It can be a real head bender, sometimes. The vocab is often beyond the 3rd grade that you'll find in commercials. In short, your narration IS the eyes and mind of a sighted person communicating content to someone who is not while effectively communicating the content of the writer. Making it sound natural and entertaining and commercial grade is the challenge.

The direction may not often focus on the things you need to really learn in perfecting this craft because the work is not truly commercial grade like a book on tape from Random house.

I'd say, give it a shot if you're interested in using your voice. All experience is good.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Audiogal
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll weigh in on the reading for the blind topic. I read for MN Talking Book for a year because it was something I had always wanted to do...a way to "give back." I read non-fiction, which was actually very hard! They also had daily programs reading from all kinds of newspapers & magazines. So it's much more than just textbooks. They said only 1/3 of the people who take their pronunciation/audition pass it. (It was tough!)

I agree that you have to WANT to do it, though, because sometimes what you're reading gets boring and you have to carry on and try to make it sound interesting. Hmm, maybe not a bad thing to learn for V/O...

So...some of the other things you mentioned might give you more bang for the V/O buck. But if it's for the right reasons...go for it!
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in college, I read for the reading service that was broadcast out on some side channel of the public radio station. Mostly older blind people listened. We had to read the newspaper obits daily in addition to other things. But the hardest part for me was reading the comic strips and having to describe what was going on in each frame that made it funny. Try it, it's a real challenge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: