VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pro Tools & Windows XP Programs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Pro Tools & Windows XP Programs Reply with quote

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Here's a question about Pro Tools and Windows XP...

I'm running PT 7.0 and Windows XP SP2, and recognize that open background programs can adversely effect the performance of PT. Once xp loads I typically have 48 processes running and I know that this is less than ideal for optimum PT operation. I've recently upgraded to Norton AntiVirus 2006 and have noticed that it seems to be causing PT to have more "buffer errors" during playback.

I know that NAV is part of the problem, but I'm sure that having 48 processes running isn't helping the situation any either!

I'm wondering if there are any tricks or maybe a program that I can run to either load xp with fewer background processes, or shut down any unnecessary processes without compromising the stable operation of both XP and PT. I know that I can go through the processes tab in task manager and manually shut down processes, but it's a slow option and more importantly I don't really know which processes I can safely shut down!

Alternately I guess that another option is to simply create another partition and load only windows and PT on it and then boot directly into that partition, but I'd rather not go that route! I guess I'm kinda looking for a bit of a quick fix that I can consistently use and ensure the most efficient operation of Pro Tools within my existing Windows XP setup and configuration.

Do any of you have similar issues? What do you do to fix them? I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks everyone! ... Now I'm off to the daunting threads of the Digidesign DUC Embarrassed
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you "optimized" your PC for audio?

One of the things that means is going to Start>Run> type: msconfig>Startup tav and turn off (de-check) everything that is not necessary in the startup bar... Then re-boot.

Turn off NAV - EVERYTIME you are using the computer for audio... If you are connected to the Internet on your recording computer - turn it off - and do not use it until you are finished editing and are ready to send the file to your client.

Personally I ended up taking NAV - OFF my computer for the reason you are indicating.

There are several PC Audio Optimization tips available at different lcoations on the internet - look for them and use them.

Frank F
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use ProTools but I have created a second account on my computer which I use when I record. Pretty well nothing loads up on startup in that account and I have noticed an improvement. In order for this to work, make sure you log off your regular account and log on to your recording account rather than just switching user.
Doc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Norton's is good security, it eats resources and impedes many typical processes. I don't use it any more. If you're on broadband, check your router. It may have built-in firewall firmware. I know my Linksys router does. That will eliminate the need for firewall software. Also, I use a free anti-virus program that's proven to be the best AV software I've ever used across the board. It doesn't eat resources and has (so far) caught every bad code I've encountered. I've used this software now for 3 years. Again, it's free and you may want to check into it. It's called AVG (free edition) and is available at: www.grisoft.com.

More memory also never hurts when it comes to multi-tasking.

Since you use Windows XP, I suggest you create a restore point, shut down ALL services, then reboot. You can then load them one by one to find out which is the offender. Once you've established that, you know what to shut down once you begin a session. However, remember to create that restore point first. If Windows won't load, you can always recover using that restore point.

That's what I'd do. But, decide for yourself.

Nothing worse than a slow crawling computer when you're attempting to record a session.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

I kicked NAV off my system and installed the AVG software that Doc mentioned... I had completely forgotten about grisoft, I used to use it ages ago (or at least a previous incarnation) and was very happy with it!

I've managed to drop the number of active processes from 48 to 36. There we a couple of processes that were completely useless, howver most of them we parasites from NAV.

I've put PT through it's paces tonight and haven't had a single buffer issue... knock on wood!

Hey Doc... a quick note about the firewall that comes standard with most Linksys routers... it's not really a very robust firewall and I've chosen to use both the router SPI firewall and the free version of Zone Alarm... I haven't had any issues with confilicts and Zone Alarm doesn't appear to take up too much processing power. My advice, as well as the advice of Linksys is to run a second firewall and not rely on the SPI firewall as your only line of defense! Running both firewalls I still log on average 2 to 3 access attempts that make it through the router and are blocked by ZA!

Thanks again for the advice... I think that I can say with confidence that as long as I'm running audio software, I will not be any version of Norton AntiVirus, just way too much extra garbage that clutters up the computer.

See Ya.
Doc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian - I used to use Zone Alarm software with the router, However, the firewall firmware that comes with my router IS Zone Alarm and is quite robust. I check for firmware updates about once a quarter and install them. I have no problem. Be it known that I'm not recommending against using Zone Alarm - like AVG, it's free and it truly works... as long as it doesn't cause you any problems.

C'est la vie... to each his own... yada, yada, yada.

I DO, however, use the Windows firewall.

Happy computing! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: