VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dick Clark's Courage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Dick Clark's Courage Reply with quote

As someone who has grown up watching and admiring the talent of Dick Clark my entire life, it was great to see him return to ABC's Rockin' New Years Eve last night.

As someone who also makes his living by speaking, I sat in stunned silence and couldn't help but wince as I saw Mr. Clark struggle to get out every word as best he could, as clearly as he could.

I once again found a new reason to admire Dick Clark, as saddened as I was to finally learn of the severity of the stroke he suffered last year. It must have taken incredible courage for him to perform in such a debilitated state. What a total professional. And what an inspiration.

God bless you, Dick Clark. May you continue to heal and regain the full use of that wonderful voice that you have been blessed by, and have graced so many generations with.

Keep fighting.
billelder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

There is so much to admire about Dick Clark including and outside of his broadcasting abilities. We didn't know much of the damage of last year's stroke. I was somewhat prepared when I saw Ryan Seacrest on "Good Morning America" promoting the show. In a year where we have lost many show business legends, the important thing to me was that he was with us. As you said so well, he continues to inspire us all.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here...here!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was agonizing to watch and listen but I was astonished by the bravery-- the obvious bravery of a man working around damage to his most famous gift.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.
Doc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the early 70's, I had the pleasure and good fortune to spend some time with him. What surprised me is that he is only about 5' 5" tall. He was the nicest, sweetest man and, believe it or not he was somewhat naive and innocent about particular things. I was performing some magic at a very nice restaurant in Encino when I met him. The magic absolutely seemed to fascinate him. He responded to it the exact same way a young child would. Right then, I knew that I liked him. He would ask, "How did you DO that?" I responded the same way I would respond to a child - "It's magic!" He would grin from ear to ear.

I, too, consider him to be one of my idols. My admiration for him goes way back to the beginning of American Bandstand. What a voice! What an entrepreneur. What a nice, nice man.

I was apprehensive about his appearance on "Rockin' New Year's Eve", considering the fact that nobody has seen him publicly since his stroke. Once I thought about it though, I KNEW he wouldn't make an appearance if he truly believed he couldn't. It was a bit painful to watch yet I was so glad to finally see him. It ascertained to me that he was gonna be all right.

A trooper and a true professional! THIS time, we "salute" YOU, Mr. Clark.

I know it will only get better.
Audiogal
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was painful to watch, but I knew he wouldn't do it unless he had made great progress in his recovery. What a wonderful goal he had for the past year of rehab...to once again take his place in Times Square. See, even the big guys need goals. Wink

I think he knew we all missed him last year. Considering that he likely had NO speech immediately after the stroke, he's made tremendous progress. I was thrilled that he was back. Here's to 'ya, Mr. Clark!
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up in Philly, my baby-sitter, a young and impulsive woman, would haul me to the studios of WFIL-TV where I'd sit bored to tears while she and her friends would jump, dance, scream and shout to records, local bands, etc. for what I thought was a "goofy" dance show (I was four-years-old). The show was hosted by an equally young looking man by the name of Dick Clark. Guess I lived a part of history, huh?

It was a rather painful display to watch on Saturday night. I admire his courage, but was it wise? Seems a bit of his showbiz magic was lost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: A salute to Dick Clark Reply with quote

I was working at a hotel and convention center in Hershey, PA between radio gigs in about 1977-78 when Dick Clark arrived for a stay with his traveling rock & roll show. There was an attractive young woman working at the desk that had taken a tumble off her bike and broken several front teeth. Dick was very gracious and complimented her and talked to her about self-confidence. He told her what a beautiful smile she had. There seemed to be absolutely no ego involved in any dealings we had with him. This was so different from the others "stars" that came through (other than Liberace, who treated all the staff very well -- that's another story...). What a gentleman. In my book, Dick Clark is right up there with Jimmie Carter and the others who care and do so much for other people.

Yes Dick has always been a great performer, but he is a far better person than I.

Greg
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching Dick Clark gave me an uncomfortable feeling of deja vu...living here in St Louis, I relived the whole process of hearing "voice-of-the-Cardinals" Jack Buck's physical decline... in this city Buck was/is a diety. Of course, Jack's downhill run took a lot longer and was more gradual than the shock of suddenly hearing Dick's new voice, but the same wierd sense of "that's not the right voice" was there.

But ya know what? There was another similarity...it was clearly the same man, the same personality and enthusiasm driving that voice. Slower and shakier, but still powered by a strong, vital voice professional who loves his work. Stubborn bastards both, God love 'em. Jack finally moved on, but Dick's still gonna slug it out for as long as he can, and I look forward to hearing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: