VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet Copyright Protection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Internet Copyright Protection Reply with quote

I have a bit of a problem with a local studio who has without my permission placed my demo on their website. This is not an issue of additional marketing, I have no desire whatsoever to be associated with the company or its operator / owner and as far as I'm concerned, it's an illegal broadcast. Does there exist a legal document that addresses illegal usage of audio on the internet?

Kevin
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin...

Firstly... I'm not an attorney but the fact of the matter is:

You already own the copyright to your work (website/audio/demo etc) upon the instant of its creation...and therefore the right to police its use.

If these guys have snatched your demo and use it without your permission you can simply make a phone call and tell them to pull it down or legal procedings will follow...whether you do or not is entirely up to you but I can't imagine someone refusing to grant your polite request.

As for a fully documented/legally registered copyright...its pretty easy just visit http://www.copyright.gov/ and you'll find everything you need.

Dave
(a one time law student that chucked the whole thing to pluck his magic twanger for a living)
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought... have you asked them "nicely" Gasp - why? Also have you asked them to remove your demo from their site? (Personally I'd listen to their answer to the first question before asking the second...).

Sometimes, to quote an old movie "...you have to take out the trash, but, be NICE" Ninja (Roadhouse, Patrick Swasey). Don't be like the Germans and "burn your bridges", you might need to retreat or go backward to move forward - and without the bridges - you could be stuck...

You never know - they may have done you a favor without your knowledge... maybe a client asked them for your demo, or maybe they felt YOU are the best of the local talent, or they "like" you, or....

There IS some legal precedence, but by being "nice" - you may find you have gained an ally, not someone you would rather not do business with...

Did they produce the demo for you? If so, they may think they have some ownership. Ask why - nicely, you may be surprised at the answer...

Be nice...

Frank F
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin--

If you need someone to stand in as your "assistant" and make the nice call, let me know.

I give great phone.

DB
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB, you are my kind of woman!!

Frank, I've worked with the individual in the past and the production level was so poor I made it very clear that I would no longer utilize his services. At the time, my demos were not on his site and he certainly had no hand whatsoever with the demo yanked from my site. I have taken your advice and asked nicely, I'm sure his reply will be extremely long winded and colorful because he was pretty upset last time.

Dave, thanks for the link, while I wait I'm just going to use this info to write my followup letter.

Kevin
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet Copyright Protection Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:
Does there exist a legal document that addresses illegal usage of audio on the internet?
Kevin

Second step: It's called a "Cease and Desist" demand, written under the letterhead of an attorney.

I give good letterhead (to coin a phrase).

CC

p.s. I actually received a Cease and Desist after simply making a written inquiry to a major publisher, before I recorded a word. I was thinking about using a dead writer's short story in a project I was working on. The letter was tantamount to saying, "Don't even think about it." I haven't. But, the good news is I've probably got a pretty good specimen somewhere in my files to copy and use without shame or guilt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

The "Cease and Desist" letter is a good start- bearing in mind your efforts to "ask nicely" have failed... Document your efforts on the request - the documentation will help if you get to court on the matter.

You do not need an attorney to do this, it is called going Pro Se or representing yourself as yourself, but you might consider structuring the "Cease and Desist" order in legal form ... therefore, allowing you to "file" the document and get a court to "order" the "Cease and Desist" if the producer/studio does not comply... Consider your areas Small Claims Courts as a remedy in the matter. Once many people get a legal document served upon them, they usually will work to settle the matter quickly. Also document as best you can the website in question (copy the current website and keep it on file.. print it out as well...). You will need to consider what it is "worth" to you for the producer to have YOUR demo on HIS/HER website... you will need to answer this question before you can file a lawsuit.

(Got one of those going on right now as a matter of fact... couldn't settle it with a "nice" request, and it has now festered into a $25,000.00 lawsuit in addition to the "Cease and Desist". Time to "...take out the trash".) I always try to be "nice" first - then I go for the throat...

Frank F
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I always try to be "nice" first - then I go for the throat...

It's the Don't Piss Me Off school of diplomacy.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How'd you know...

I believe in the KISS System... Keep It Simple Silly - first... then KISS them goodbye... Just like in the "Godfather".

Frank
donrandall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I give great phone.

Deirdre - I cracked up when I read that!
For 35 years, I have been telling my wife that she gives good phone.
Sometimes I do that in front of other people - you should see the looks on their faces - most of them obviously don't "get it".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: