VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The American Masters Event: how it went

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patfraley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: The American Masters Event: how it went Reply with quote

Our American Masters Event in LA on Saturday was a day of surprises. Ed Asner was scheduled, but had urgent leg surgery, and I called my mentor, Chuck Blore, who graciously agreed to fill those BIG SHOES.
It went very well. Chuck Blore is such an amazing teacher and visionary. Everyone who went in the booth exited after delivering a performance with truth at the center of their efforts.

Chuck often runs into the booth, and makes them hold hands with him, improvise dialogue, often times he'll take the scripts away from the performers, and basically turn their world a bit upside down as he coaxes, wheedles, and "bullies," a meaningful performance out of them.

He mentioned something that struck me: There's no room at the bottom (with so much competition), but there's room at the top for those who demand of themselves truth at the center of their performance.

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Bobbin Beam!

Who is the other fellow?
patfraley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Chuck Blore with VO Talent Reply with quote

The pic is of Chuck exiting the Studio "A" booth at Buzzy's Recording after "beating up" Voice Over Talents, Bobbin Beam, San Diego, and Josh Crooch, LA.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Wow! What a fabulous time you all must have had with Chuck Blore. I got to sit under his teaching just once, but it was a very memorable experience. And Bobbin, how fun for you and the rest of the folks there.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jon Morss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat -
Its great to hear from you again. Sounds like another great event hosted by you. One of these days I'll get down to SoCal to attend one of your teachings.

Love the quote, and apparently DB does as well. It certain got my cogs spinning. It sure is crowded down here.

I hope Mr. Asner is well and is up and dancing again. He is a tremendous talent and I certainly have loved listening to him and watching him on TV over the years. Please send my best to him.

Looking good Bobbin. I bet this was a blast with Chuck Blore and Pat in the same studio. Any juicy stories to tell?

Thanks for sharing this very cool stuff.
patfraley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: "No room at the bottom, but room at the top" Reply with quote

Jon,

Regarding Chuck's quote: Chuck also pointed out that the confusion comes when we hear mediocre talent on the radio and TV all day. We listen, and say to ourselves, "Well, THEY'RE working." Yes, but how often? Those who have flourishing careers, are those who have truth planted in their performances, and have realized personal style. They are sought out by casting people and producers because they recognize the talent has a way of being liked and listened to by the customer and consumer. This make THEIR job easier, and it reminds me that it's all about THEM. PF
Jon Morss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Thank you sir for the clarification. Chuck sounds like a person I would like to learn more about. He seems to have a great approach to acting and teaching.

In the Sacramento area, we get inundated by bad TV and radio spots and it makes me wonder how these keep getting aired. But, then again they are just local spots. I suppose the fact that it seems that National spots are voiced by just a few talent, or what appears to be the same talent, is a testament of " they recognize the talent has a way of being liked and listened to by the customer and consumer." Seeking the right teachers and coaches would seem to be a tremendous asset to someone trying to get out of the bottom end.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and wisdom.
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After being coached and directed by Chuck Blore, I can now say I've been "BLORED". Cajoled, poked, prodded and in my face, holding my hands and throwing away the script. All while getting to the TRUTH, the reality of the writer's intention.

Pat later admitted that Chuck has done the same to him during prior sessions together! Chuck Blore is this dynamic ball of energy that pulls no punches, and got some of the best out of me. It was already there, but I had to cut to the heart and let it flow, so to speak.

During the lecture part of the afternoon, Pat referred to hanging out with Chuck (HIS mentor) akin to hanging out and goofing off with your 9 year old friend in the attic on a rainy day.

It was an amazing 9 hours for 10 students who came from near and far. One student had come from Florida! I went home feeling really good about what I do, where I'm at in my capabilities, and knowing exactly what I need to do to stay the journey.

Pat, it was great seeing you and Jennie again. (last time was the VOICE conference) Having the opportunity to study with you was amazing!

I am going to be mentally processing this learning experience for a long time. Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: