VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time to put on your Producer's hat, please.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Time to put on your Producer's hat, please. Reply with quote

Here's the scenario. Male narrator for a one hour documentary which will include a moderate amount of European names and locations (Austrian, German, etc.). Due to budget, scheduling and availability, your choices are as follows:

VO #1: Great, rich voice, fair interpretation of script, very comfortable with foreign pronunciation, but a good-sized ego who could be a p.i.a. to work with.

VO #2: Above average voice, very good script interpretation, acceptable foreign pronunciations, very easy to work with, and with a good amount of narrator experience.

VO #3: Decent voice, good interpretation of script, great with pronunciations, easy to work with, though not a "narrator" per se.

Just curious as to whom you would select, and why. (BTW, the project is done, so don't bother asking for the gig.) cool
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numero dos.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prima donna. In the end, all that counts is what your client and the audience thinks. You're the producer. It'll be a session(s) you'll dread, but you're paid to put up with that chit. I've produced quite a few docs. Sometimes I voiced 'em, sometimes I had to go out of house. And I've put up with my share of mavens. Thing is, you think twice about usin' em again.

What do I get? Laugh
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ego is manageable and won't show up in the finished product.

Moderate pronunciations won't fly.

The last guy would be OK for a College project.

I go for number 1.

I was a professional theater producer/director for nearly a decade and I can tell you that VO guys have nothing on actors for sociapthic attitudes.

You still cast the best actor for the job-- then direct traffic and put out fires.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep looking.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Wha wha wha what? Reply with quote

Don, I never knew you thought I was a pain in the...oh wait, I didn't get that job :lol:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VO #2: Above average voice, very good script interpretation, acceptable foreign pronunciations, very easy to work with, and with a good amount of narrator experience.

Hmmm - Above average voice - what the heck does that mean!? If the client is happy with the basic sound of this voice and the guy does great script interpretation with acceptable foreign pronunciations - I don't see the problem here.

If the client WANTS the rich deep sound - then that's what the client should have.

But seriously, if you are VO #2, then you need to 'splain to me what you mean by above average voice - is that refering to your spot on the musical scale? VO #1 is a bass and you are a Tenor?

If you are trying to say that you don't think you are better than VO #1, then my personal opinion is that you need to start looking at yourself in the mirror in the morning telling yourself that you are worthy...you are worthy...

Regards,

Connie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: