VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The ones that get away

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmgood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: The ones that get away Reply with quote

So I get the call. Can you be there tomorrow? I'll be there! Script to follow.

Next day, still no script. Call to find out what's up. Discuss rates.

Get a call back, change of plans, client wants to cut costs and are bringing in their own talent.

What can I say other than "too bad it didn't work out"? Is there anything a person can do to shore up the certainty of the session without turning the client/studio off?

I want to be available and accommodating but don't want to be jerked around (i.e., call in sick for nuthin'). Or is that "just the way it is" - get used to it. Nothing's guaranteed till the check cashes?
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens. And it's a pisser. Nothin' worse than booking time and having them pull the carrot away. I've been the victim of that, too. Fortunately, only a couple of times. Unless you had a written agreement, there's not much you can do. It's also rather rude that YOU had to call and prod them for information. I'd be wary the next time that studio calls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The certainty of another person's word is only good if the other person is you. Chalk it up to experience, and remember that there's no such thing as a sure thing.
But then again... others may say I'm wrong.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As your business builds, this kind of thing has less effect. The kinds of gaps it causes are soon filled by other work.

It happens though, and sometimes the producer has little control over those decisions the client makes.

It literally just happened to me before I read your post - a big job to do for next week, and then the producer informed me the client is bringing in their own talent. Who knows, it could be a nice way of saying "We don't want you after all, and this is the nicest way we can find of saying it" - but hey, if I'm not what they want this time, I'm not what they want, and it was nice of them to think of sparing my feelings even though "They've gone with someone else" wouldn't have troubled me any more. Plus, the producer will think of me for future jobs.

Some while back, this would have thrown me through a loop, but not now.

It's not THAT often, but it can happen. I can't imagine there would be a way to get around it. Even if you had signed an agreement with the producer to nail it down quickly, if the client changed his mind the producer would have to comply and then be disgruntled that he or she still had you to pay.

Unless anyone else knows a way?...
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People will get away with whatever you permit them to get away with. In The case of this particular client he knows he can book you and cancel you without consequences. If a producer had given me 10 paying gigs and then this happened I would chalk it up to experience, had it been a new client and the place and time was confirmed I would ask about a cancellation fee particularly as the gig was cancelled with less than 24 hours notice.

Difficult to tell from your posting if you had a firm booking or if someone was merely trying to establish a "what if". What if we needed you, would you be available?

Should it be the latter it's worth bearing in mind that out of 3 "what ifs" you'll get one paying gig.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The ones that get away Reply with quote

dmgood wrote:
What can I say other than "too bad it didn't work out"? Is there anything a person can do to shore up the certainty of the session without turning the client/studio off?

Here we go again, with the v/o actor's fear of turning someone off. Why do we give up so much power? They turned YOU off - who cares (unless, of course, like Banksey mentioned, you've been getting consistent business from them).

What you could have said was, "You do realize this is short notice and I blocked out time for you. That costs me money, so I'm sure you'll understand that going forward I will require a deposit or more advance notice, otherwise, without a deposit I will be forced to bill you a cancellation fee."

-Anthony
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony and Phil must be drinking from the same tap. It has to be all about time and money. Cancellation Fee!!!... I love the sound of that!!! Most of your other professionals... doctors, dentists, and the such... have been charging that for years. Their time is money... ours should be too!
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
dmgood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. You've effectively summed up my thoughts and fears (from "it's a pisser" to "a nice way of telling you we don't want you after all") and have offered some good food for thought about how to handle it in the future.

I guess I'd really like to know how to get better at discriminating between the "what ifs" and the solid offers and how to get better at turning "what ifs" into solid offers.

I wonder if I am not covering all my bases on first contact to ensure getting the job? What's the job? What's the budget? Do my rates fit in the budget?

What usually goes down in your first contact about a potential booking?
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never a sure thing until either the check clears or "You've Got Cash!" pops up on your in-box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find it useful to ask for 50% up front by Paypal, the rest on completion. Sometimes it's not possible, like with huge corporations which have protracted payment procedures, but often you end up getting the whole amount in advance.

I usually ask them to send me a 50% deposit along with their correct invoicing address in the text of the Paypal payment, so that I can send them a formal invoice for their records.

Quite a few times, it's surprised me that I've had substantial payments in advance where I haven't quite been confident the project would come through.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: