VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jingle Money Question?????
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first union job was under the SAG jurisdiction. I was doing jingles in Chicago, and the first big one I got ran on CBS TV for 2.5 - 3 years. It was for Kellogg's, the sponsorship for the weekend kid's news show "In The News." Brought in about $35, 000 altogether.

Jim
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
I guess, "the needs of the many (or, the greedy) out-weigh the needs of the few (the talented)".

Once again I am reminded of why I love this board.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
I've just signed a contract to do some TV commercials over the next 12 months with one company, is it compulsory to have kids to send to college or may I buy a new wing mirror for my scooter?

Yes, absolutely it is compulsory that you have kids to send to college but they can be my kids instead of your own. Always happy to help a friend.. :wink:
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan Berkley made a mint off of 3 letters..."A T & T" in that cheerful singsongy voice. I wonder what the Parkay guy made off of voicing "butter"?

The entertainment unions here are wierd. The division between SAG and AFTRA makes very little sense in light of the vast number of different professions covered by IATSE. When you consider the fact that the broadway production designer, the hollywood digital special-effects man, the pyrotechnician, and the guy who runs the follow-spot at the hockey rink are in the same union it's wierd that you could be in two different unions depending on whether that acting job shows on TV or the cinema first.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, jobs are under either an AFTRA or SAG contract, not both, and the membership of the actors is secondary. SAG work is shot on film first, so even though the voice and final image may end up on video tape or hard drive, it remains a SAG job. Everything that's electronic/digital from the beginning ends up under AFTRA. The majority of active union actors belong to both I believe, so they can work both kinds of jobs with ease. Yes it would be nice if they joined ranks for the sake of simplicity and power, but there are too many people with turf protection in mind.

I work in a "right to work" state and don't belong to a union, but I do union work all the time. Actually, I take back "all the time". It's getting to be less and less. We've gone from 10 signatory ad agencies in Phoenix to about 2 over the past few years, and the film and TV business has all but dried up here. The SAG/AFTRA office here is weak and frequently befuddled so no one enjoys working with them.

For the few who don't know, here in the States, Equity (AEA) is the name of the theatrical union. Their bailiwick is live performances on stage. There have been talks over the years to bring them into the fold with SAG and AFTRA, but that's even less likely to happen.

Bruce
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard many, many years ago that the voice of the Pillsbury Doughboy was paid a minimum (or retainer) of $100,000.00 a year.

I'd love to know how much the guy who says "Can you hear me now?" is making.

B
scooter2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Jingle Money! Reply with quote

Well, I have to get in here as I thumb through my collection of residual checks..yet to be cashed. Actually I'm leaving them as an estate gift to my grandchildren.

They range from $0.01 to $0.63 with several in between and are for various films and tv shows done under SAG. Of course there were bigger checks but I decided to keep them for myself..selfish fellow that I am.

There is a bar in the Los Angeles area called "residuals" in which they tack such giant checks to the wall and give the payee a drink in return.

Just wanted you to share.

scott
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have my residual check from MGM and UA for my sterling turn as the bartender in "The Ride". Gross amount 3 cents, net 2 cents. THEY TOOK A PENNY OUT FOR FEDERAL TAXES!

Bruce
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the wildest residual story I ever heard!

Talk about your two cents' worth...
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoBe Cerny was/is the voice of the Pillsbury Dough Boy. I have noticed they have been phasing out his voice over the last couple years. I met him 5 - 6 years ago. He spoke at a luncheon at our local Ad Club. Very educational. He also has written a book I Could Have Been a Cabdriver-- But I Became an Actor Instead: A Practical Guide to the Business of Professional Acting. The guy has done almost everything in the commercial world. You might even remember him as the silent man in the All TV commercials who would stir two different pieces of stained cloth in large glass containers. Anyway, he was a nice guy, so I thought he was worth a plug.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get into problems with a client the Union will step in to collect the money you are owed. The trouble is that they can't make someone pay who won't pay and who has organised their legal affairs in such a way as to protect the money they have collected.

A few years ago a TV producer owed me just a little under $50,000 and nothing would encourage him to pay so I had to write it off. I sent him a letter, part of which read as follows.

"Next saturday I will be in London for a few days so I would be grateful if you would leave the keys to the house in Chelsea and the M3 BMW where I can find them as I am exercising my right to part access as I part paid for them".
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleah! What a rip, Phil.
We've had to swallow some losses, but nothing that bad.

My husband is an artist, as you may know-- the trouble for us comes when dealers sell a painting to someone and then keep all the money. One guy ended up in jail, but he had exersized this behavior in too many arenas and got caught.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: