VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie looking for coaching/training

View previous topic :: View next topic  
e-9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Newbie looking for coaching/training Reply with quote

I apologize if this is not the correct forum for this sort of question. If so, can someone please direct me to a good place?

I'm just getting started, and would like some input regarding finding a VO coach and/or training class. I live just outside Minneapolis, and have recorded a VERY basic demo with Moore Creative Talent in Mpls. The demo is straighforward announcer stuff, but I'm really interested in developing more character voices, as well as getting consistent feedback on what I've already done.

Any thoughts on VO teachers in the Minneapolis area? Short of that, what are some thoughts on using distance-based training? I like what I saw at Edgestudio, but I am uneasy about commiting to any distance-based option without some solid references.

Help!

By the way, I recorded a piece for the Hazelden Foundation (drug and alcohol rehab facility with HQ in Minnesota) website. It's a one minute piece called "Experience Hazleden", and was done over 18 months ago. It was done with minimal direction, so I'd like to get some feedback from those in the industry regarding whether there may be some potential. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Experience Hazelden

Thanks,

Dan
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

Welcome!

There are many references to Edge Studio in this forum, although there doesn't seem to be an easy way to find them all. Searching yields a lot of irrelevant posts unfortunately. I've received training from them in their NY and CT locations as well as from other coaches, and a number of vo-bb members have as well. They are thorough and professional and have a lot of experience, and they aren't pushy. The studio does a lot of production as well as training, so they see both sides of the business.

At this point I can't recommend them for demo production however.

Good luck!

Mary

Last edited by mcm on Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan--

You can look for posts with the search term "Edge Studios".

Just click on Search up top and put that term in quotes in the first field.

You'll get a page with all the postings with that word combo.

Best o' Luck and Welcome Aboard!
Deirdre B.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I listened to the Hazelden Foundation commercial. With the exception of the music competing at times with your voice, it sounded pretty good. I keep thinking that we have a member from this forum living in the Minneapolis area, but their name escapes me. You may want to look through the Member List. Welcome aboard.
Smile
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
e-9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts and feedback. I realized after posting that the better place for content feedback is the Critque board. I'll post there as well.

Right now, I just want honest assessments of my potential. It looks like Edge Studios does an excellent job at that, as well as helping to create a training plan post-assessment. For all the talk on their site about avoiding the cheap training places, they seem really reasonably priced themselves. I was expecting premium $, and they appear pretty moderate.

Also, thanks for the welcome! This looks like a friendly (if occasionally brutally honest) environment. I'm all for tough love.
Smile
donrandall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This looks like a friendly (if occasionally brutally honest) environment. I'm all for tough love.

Honesty is not brutality. It is just honesty. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing else.

Anyone can say kind and comforting things - but in doing so, they are being cruel - if their words are not honest.

I posted a bit of audio for a critique a while back and received some very good and very worthwhile feedback from some real pros whom I respect very much. At the same time, I was looking for some feedback from at least one or two others that I realized would be a little less gentle, but certainly quite frank and honest. Since that did not happen, I do not have the advantage of their knowlege and their help. I believe I may have benefited from their tough appraisals, if they had been posted.

By the way, I did listen to your audio on the website and I believe that you have got the right tools and a lot of potential. Good stuff! I expect that you will do very well, and of course, I wish you well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: