VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who Plays What?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Who Plays What? Reply with quote

Instrumentally speaking.

I'm a drummer-- Rock and Blues.

Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassin' and playing with myself, literally! Boss Loop Station's not visible on the floor. Emminence upright bass is in the background. I love all music, without discrimination. From avante guard to rap to country to jazz to . . . music. I'd addicted. Actually, I'm a drummer. Congas are not show, along with other percussion instruments.

Last edited by Charlie Channel on Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh .... the California Blonde, this is great!! I use a 1971 Ampeg B-15 in the studio and a beastly SWR stacked rig when I play live - I play a custom Chapman Stick, all graphite sans fret markers. I come from a long lline of musicians, pops use to play with B.B. King and Buddy Guy when they came through Texas, my long lost cousin James is on the "A" list of jazz bassists, we never see him anymore unless we actual watch SNL, which has really sucked since 1989 if you ask me.

Wow, this is really exciting!

Kevin
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Channel wrote:
Bassin' and playing with myself, literally!

Charlie,

Is it safe to say you're a James Jamerson fan? Have you heard the tracks from Standing in the Shadows of Motown?

Kevin
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judas Priest, Kevin-- you play a Chapman Stick? Them's strange strings, Boyo. I became acquainted with the stick through Tony Levin's work with Mike Portnoy et al in Liquid Tension Experiment.

And yes, SNL sucks unless Christopher Walken or The Rock are on.
Joe Whistler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acuostic guitar here. It's an Ovation Matrix, which I bought new in 1973 for $300. I'd be surprised if it's worth more than $100 today, though it's in pretty good shape.

I'm self taught, which means: don't ask me to play anything. It took me 10 year to teach myself how to play "Blackbird", which I have down fairly well now. I'm working on "Classical Gas" now, but it's only been a year so I'm estimating 2014 before I'll be able to get all the way through it.

I try to pick it up once a week and play it for at least 15 minutes. It's like an old pair of shoes that I can't think about letting go of. It's comfortable, I really like it, I know what to expect out of it, but I really shouldn't wear them out in public.
Joe Whistler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And yes, SNL sucks unless Christopher Walken or The Rock are on.

"I got a fever - and the only prescription, is more cowbell!"
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Bangin' the Skins Reply with quote

1959 Classic four piece Ludwig. Original hardware with oyster shells, the white inlay, and re-enforced rims. I am told they are worth a mint. Now the sad part... they are resting in my mother-in-laws basement, because i have no room in my current house. I do have room for my new studio, though! Laugh
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a 25 sec. recording of me playing the Stick. This comes as part of a great story, I tear up every time I hear this song, I'm forever indebted to the people who literally set the stage and made it happen....

The year was 2001 and I had taken three weeks off of the day job to go on a two week "teaser tour" with a big name, five piece, folk/rock band. These are the kind of tours where the band just rolls up to a club, gets out an plays, cell phones bring a huge audience quickly.

A friend was in the band before they became famous asked if I wanted to go with them. He had left to do his own thing and never looked back. Today, he claims he was never in the band but the books tell a different story. I think the fact that they set him up with a state of the art recording facility in Charlottesvile, VA (their tax break) pretty much explains his involvement regardless of what he might say.

At any rate my girlfriend couldn't make a concert, so she got a private concert of sorts. The tour busses pulled in front of a small club in NYC at 2:30am, by 3:00am I was nervously playing what started my engagement process. They never told me they recorded the raw audio tracks, but about two months after the tour I received a CD with a ProTools session on it.

If you listen close you can actually hear me humming, which was pretty funny (at least to me). It's not the greatest playing, I was one tired and nervous person at the time, but it captured how I felt about the woman I love.

Kevin
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Who Plays What? Reply with quote

I don't have any cool pics of me with my keyboards.........

....but here is a very uncool pic of me (on the right) circa 1982 and my first live gig.

Beat this! :wink:

M

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the fact that they set him up with a state of the art recording facility in Charlottesvile, VA (their tax break) pretty much explains his involvement regardless of what he might say.

Huuummmmm. Kevin, I'll look you up or at least call when I'm in C-ville around May 22nd. My daughter, Leslie, goes to UVA. She graduates then.

In 2000, Leslie was a senior in high school and I sent her on a tour of colleges and universities. Along the way, she decided to hit C-ville, unknown to me. She worked out her own interary and I was sort of oblivious to where she was going anyway, as I was attending to the medical needs of my wife.

Later, Leslie announced she was interested in going to a mid-sized school -- not small, not large, but mid-sized. And, in VA. Why? She said she would just like it. I said there were great schools in CA. Everybody COMES to CA. Besides, it was almost as far away as she could go. There was no bargaining with her on the issue. About the time I was going to put my foot down, she said she'd gotten a bunch of grants and scholarships that would get her through her first year. The writing was on the wall.

Later, I toured UVA with her. And, it seemed to me she'd made a great choice. And, she got in. I finally asked the question, 'How did you find this place?'

'Dave Matthews! I heard he was from Charlottesville, came to check out his town, saw the school and really liked the place. It's cool!' she said. Oh, yea. I should have known. DMB. That's why she went to UVA!

A Chapman Stick! I was in Santa Monica about a month ago, and there was an incredible musican playing a Stick on the Mall. Real beautiful cat, if you know what I mean. His 12 year old daughter was tending the store. I bought two of his CD's. Man, that instrument just puts you in such a spiritual zone. You guys who got tapping down just blow me away.

The week before I was in Santa Monica, I saw Stanley Jordan perform at Kimballs East . Stanley's from Palo Alto (not to be confused with East Palo Alto) and went to Jordan High School. After the show, we chatted for about 15 or 20 minutes. He gave me some tips which have had an immediate effect on my playing (as I'm, basically, a self-taught musician). Great kid.

Jamerson, of course! And Victor Wooten's on my list of greats. And, I saw Stanley Clark two weeks ago with McCoy Tyner at Yoshi's. Man, that guy still scares me to hear and watch him play upright bass. T'was a delightful show.

CC
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool pictures.

I miss my hair. ROTFL!
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Ummmm.... Reply with quote

I play golf.... :wink:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maiku-chan threw down the gauntlet.

Deirdre's Mother's Band--1976

Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: More bass Reply with quote

Another bass player here....Since age 14.

For years now I've been with a 5 (sometimes 7) piece outfit called Hightimes (jazz, swing, blues, GB) We predate the magazine.

Playing 6-string elect, Double bass, electric upright.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: