VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Session w/AudioTX!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie's right on the money.
donrandall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Charlie said, the software solution will introduce a small amount of it's own distortion - you will hear it if you pay attention.

I use a different editing program, called Goldwave (it is very low price and I am a devoted tightwad - besides, it really does work quite well). I copy a sample of the offending noise and save it, then go into the "noise reduction" menu and click on "clipboard" and that particular sound is what will be processed. To avoid distorting the finished sound (as much as possible), I take the sound I have saved and paste it into the work area and reduce it by half - and sometimes I cut it in half again - and then re-save the sound. At that point I go back into the menu and introduce the sound via "clipboard". By cutting the sample in half once - or even twice, I have reduced the amount of processing which also reduces the amount of distortion to the point where it will be insignifigant, but still clean up the track.

Since I am not familiar with the other editing programs, I can't say for sure, but you may be able to use a similar technique. It really takes longer to tell about it in this message than to actually do it.
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you need to be careful when using noise reduction on CEP2. There is a little bit of distortion when you clean up the wave. Much depends on your system. I'm fortunate that I have a relatively noise-free set up in my home studio and my mic has a built-in hum buckler.

At work it's a different story. I work at a TV station. The audio booth there is old and puts out one nasty signal to noise ratio. On those rare times I have to sneak in to cut an audition or a quick pick up or drop in, Yikes! The CEP on my office desk has to work full time to clean up the wave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: