VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just returned from a Thanksgiving road trip.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Just returned from a Thanksgiving road trip..... Reply with quote

We went to New Mexico, and it was quite the adventure. Stayed in a 200 year-old Hacienda B&B, made of adobe, kiva fireplaces in every room. Our hosts made a SW Thanksgiving dinner, it was just great. We went to Madrid (on the Turquoise Trail in the mountains on the way to Santa Fe). Madrid used to be a prosperous coal mining town, then became a ghost town when coal became obsolete. Artisans formed a commune there in the 60's, and now it's a town with lots of weavers and jewelry makers and galleries. I bought the most stunning woven ruana there. It was my favorite place on the trip, better than Santa Fe.

Anyway, this was a road trip and on the way we listened to audio books, one of which was "The Secret Life of Bees". It was narrated by Jenna Lamia, and the narration was stunning, easily one of the best I've heard. She does the whole book in a regional accent, and it was spot on with the characterisations. It's definitely worth a listen as an illustration of the art form of narration. I'm now looking for other books she's narrated just so I can hear what else she does.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

http://www.kitziestern.com/
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a wonderful trip.

Funny, I heard a narration demo today with a snippet that sounded like it might have been from the Secret Life of Bees, but without the accent. I've heard that Lamia did an excellent job on that book but have not yet had the pleasure of hearing it. I've listened to very few books on tape apart from some of the Harry Potter books - Jim Dale is my hero.

My sister rhapsodizes about Barbara Rosenblat's Amelia Peabody in the Elizabeth Peters books.

Will all these emoticons lose their Santa caps after Christmas, so when we revisit these posts later on they will just be little baldies again?? Gasp
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm wrote:
- Jim Dale is my hero.

My sister rhapsodizes about Barbara Rosenblat's Amelia Peabody in the Elizabeth Peters books.

Will all these emoticons lose their Santa caps after Christmas, so when we revisit these posts later on they will just be little baldies again?? Gasp

1. Jim Dale is wonderful
2. Barbara Rosenblatt is grand with the Amelia Peabody books.
3. Yes.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward Herman's audio book on John Adams is still my favorite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK the Harry Potter talking books are read by Stephen Fry. For those who don't know Stepen was comedy writing and performing partner to Hugh Laurie .... Now whatever happened to him?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
Hugh Laurie .... Now whatever happened to him?

Ha ha!

He's doing an insanely great job playing an American doctor in House on our FOX network.
Can't get enough of that guy. We love him AND Stephen Fry. We have all the Worcester and Jeeves shows on CD.

Stephen Fry reads the Harry Potter books in the UK? I wonder why? Isn't Jim Dale English?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

House is on Channel5 in the UK 10pm every Thursday night. Stephen Fry was J.K Rowling's preferred voice. Jim Dale is English and appeared in Carry on Doctor he played Dr Nookie with Hattie Jacques playing the part of Matron. He read Harry Potter for the US market because ....Oh the machinations of the US market are a mystery to me. Jim has lived in the USA since 1776 so perhaps they wanted someone vaguely British but not so British as to upset die hard patriots.
billelder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the USA Harry Potter is read by Cedric the Entertainer.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a search and the results come up as Jim Dale. Having said that he does bear a striking resemblance to Cedric in certain lights.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains it - I had read that Stephen Fry had done Harry Potter but never found his version anywhere. Can't imagine anyone but Jim Dale doing it now.

I loved Stephen Fry as Jeeves, and in Peter's Friends, and he and Hugh Laurie did a side-splitting exchange in the roles of director & actor that I guess was on the BBC but turned up in John Barton's series on Shakespearean acting - but I haven't seen Stephen Fry in anything for years. He does have a website but it may be a little out of date

http://www.stephenfry.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago a collection of short stories was published called "Teddy Bear stories for grown ups" and when some were adapted for broadcast/audio I read one called Harold's Bear. It's quintessentially English and if you like listening to short stories (this one lasts about 35 minutes), feel free to download with my compliments. If you're on dial up be warned it's around 35mb

http://thecorporatevoice.com/haroldsbear.mp3
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billelder wrote:
In the USA Harry Potter is read by Cedric the Entertainer.

Bill, I must say you've reinvigorated my spirituality...reading your posts is the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience.

PJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: