VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Watermark Auditions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely see the benefit of the marketing account idea... I think that it would be a great method for tracking your time investment! I just wanted to stress my point that auditions are a part of the business for a beginner, and I can imagine... to a lesser extent a seasoned and experienced pro.

I guess the goal of stimulating debate was successful :wink:

Certainly didn't intend to jump on ya...

Does anyone out there have any comments on how often they auditioned in the beginning of their career, how successful it was then and how much they audition now, comparatively?

Right about now... our American counterparts are probably about to pull the turkey out of the oven... so the tryptioahn should begin to kick in ver shortly!
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
From a business point of view, I really do like to know if I'm wasting my time.

Man, that is THE question isn't it? Every single week I audition in NY anywhere from 1 to 3 times. Most are at the agency, but from time to time I have to go to a production company or the rented studio... I save up all my subway and food receipts and that question pops up all the time.

I'm hoping that time will tell - and when i get that answer i will accept it... until then I'm doing 150% of what I CAN CONTROL in order to move my career forward... I believe that since I'm always going to be moving forward, I will always audition in this market - I've grown to accept it.

When I land an exclusive commercial contract, then all the cost of bagels with cream cheese and coffee (plus Metrocards) will seem like a drop in the bucket.

As far as a professional needing practice - this is what i do, but I continue to train every week, whether it's v/o refreshers, acting class, improv, reading, speech therapy, etc. I'm always doing something to keep my tool sharper than the next guy's.

I love this thread.

-Anthony
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah...loving this thread! You guys are a wealth of info. for newbies!

As far as my business goes, I'm kind of in a niche market. My primary income is through copywriting. I got back into VO work mainly to assist my clients who wanted narration on their flash presentations.

Now that I'm settled back in my home area, I'm working my local market for VO work. Ideally, it would be great getting paid to write the ad copy and then again to do the VO for it! BTW, is anyone here doing that?
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Jeff McNeal on Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get an audition through my agent, I don't watermark it. However, if I get a request, either through an internet listing or my website, I either just read a section of the script or do watermark the audition. I think it just makes good business sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: