VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gotta love The Bard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Gotta love The Bard Reply with quote

Just feelin' good about my acting class yesterday...we presented the Shakespearean sonnets we'd chosen the week before, onstage... I am no actor (I've been onstage all of 2 nights in the last 22 years, and that was a bit role), but--I was actually embarassed by it--I ended up being the "star" of the class, the one all the other students commented most on. Primarily for intensity, and for giving the the most "modernly understandable" presentation of W.S.'s words, making it sound almost conversational...I strove to present it such that it would be "followable" to the 21st-century ear. Apparently it worked.

I share this because (in addition to being all swolled up with pride 'n all) I think I've found a valuable exercise in voice acting practice. Take something with a universally applicable sentiment that was written in a style way off from your cultural pattern of speech...and work on performing it verbatim, but so anyone else could follow it. I recommend Shakespeare because he wrote on all aspects of the human condition, everything from the lofty and idealistic to the petty and profane. If a non-actor like me can make Elizabethan English sound modern and conversational, a real pro can certainly make pretty much any copy sound coherent, no matter how it's worded. Just a thought.

Pat
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Really Good Delivery of Shakespeare is one of the greatest gifts an actor can give an audience.

The reason stage or film acting classes are recommended to voice actors is because in them you receive ongoing direction on how to bring someone else's words to life.
Isn't that what we do as voice over people anyway?
Bring others' words to life?
The stage or film classes help to raise one's awareness of character and to harness your whole "instrument" to convey a message.

Last edited by Deirdre on Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:52 am; edited 2 times in total
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos, Pat!
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations PJ! I think you deserve to be "all swolled up with pride"! Your post was very fun and inspiring to read - wish I could have seen you on that stage.

Is this a weekly class?

Looking forward to hearing more "news from the front".
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big shout goin out to PJ .................Reeeeeeeeeespec' innit.

Of course it can backfire and a piece of Shakespeare ends up sounding like a voice over ......

http://thecorporatevoice.com/kikinshakespeare.mp3
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, you are so Modern.

Pure Banks - thanks for making my day :wink:
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey - you crack me up.
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definitely one for the Voice Over Sitcom, Banksey!
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFLMAO - now that should become a classic very soon! Right up there with Jeff's "spam headlines."

-Anthony
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I especially like "AND NOW...."
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...maybe it *is* possible to make him a bit *too* contemporary...

At least Shakespeare never included the words "Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!" or "BEEE THEEEEERRRRRE!"
Hmm...monster truck rallies in Shakespearean Elizabethen English... My microphone should be arriving in a week, I need to write up some copy on that and do a spot...

Dierdre wrote:
The reason stage or film acting classes are recommended to voice actors is because in them you receive ongoing direction on how to bring someone else's words to life.
Isn't that what we do as voice over people anyway?

You're right, DB...that is the whole point...but not being a seasoned pro at it I'm still internalizing these discoveries piecemeal. Banksey mentioned in another thread that he felt acting coaches were more useful to the modern VO than voice coaches, as it's not the voice itself but the use of it that's instrumental...that's why I'm glad that the voice coach in St Louis I found has a Theatre PhD, former professional actress/director/singer. She mostly trains public speakers now, but that experience with taking direction and assuming character is what I probably stand to gain the most from.

For a 4 month, 2-day a week class (well 2 classes actually...same teacher for voice/articulation), I havent picked up a huge range of things, but I learned a coupla strengths and weaknesses I didnt know I had, and found a speech/acting coach I wouldnt have found otherwise, and discovered I actually like acting...I guess it's been a profitable semester after all. At community college prices no less.

PJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: