VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Voice Over eBook: Is it Helpful?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jilleyn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: The Voice Over eBook: Is it Helpful? Reply with quote

Hi everyone--I am as new as it gets to the field of voiceover. Can anyone tell me if Stephanie Ciccarelli's Voice Over eBook contains good information for people who are just starting to get started? I came across the site for it in my web-search, and it appears to be a good source, but I'd feel better ordering it if I could get an endorsement or two from someone on the VO-BB. So if you've bought it and could relay your experience with applying the advice it contains, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much everyone.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a review of it on my blog listed below as did several other people on this board. The direct link is http://jeffreykafer.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F6BED5DB893655F2!270.entry
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jilly,

OK, here are my recommendations:

1 - Spend some time (actually, spend a lot of time) reading through the archives on this board. There is a wealth of information here.

2 - I have some great books listed on my site that will help you get started. Here is a link to my resource page. I highly recommend the 1st two books on the page.

3 - Read aloud every day. I believe it is Connie Terwilliger who recommends you record an entire book (not all at once mind you, just do 20 minutes to a 1/2 hour each day until you get it all done) and listen to yourself. It's great practice and you'll get used to hearing your own voice.

4 - Use your TiVO or VCR to tape your favorite shows, but DON'T SKIP THORUGH THE COMMERCIALS. Listen to them carefully and try to identify the ones that resonate with you. The ones you "get" and then transcribe them and try recording them into your recorder and listen to what you've done.

5 - Take acting / improv classes

6 - Find a VO coach or coaches you like and study with them. Harlan Hogan has a pretty good list of coaches on this page. WARNING: HE HAS AUDIO ON THE PAGE SO TURN YOUR SPEAKERS DOWN. Scared the crap out of me last time I visited there.

7 - After you've gotten everything you can out of the archives here, ask lots of questions. The people here are warm and wonderful and very generous with their knowledge.

Good luck!

P.S. - Welcome to the New Jersey contingent of the VO-BB. You'll meet more as you go along.
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the privilege of reviewing it as well. You can read my take on it at:

www.tomdheere.com/blog.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they all said!

And welcome from another Northern NJ VO...who ALSO has a Black Cat Avatar! Laugh

Hey, have you checked out the MCA-INJ event thread?:
http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4501

Come on out if you can!

Liz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: