VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working with Sales Reps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Working with Sales Reps Reply with quote

When I first came on the forum my husband and I were in the process of moving to Tennessee. Well....the job didn't work out and we have settled down in my home area of Harrisonburg, VA.

Now, I am in the process of rewriting my letter of introduction that will be sent out to the local media. I'm also working on promoting myself directly to the sales reps for all the local radio and TV stations so, they can pitch my voice to their clients. I'm told that this type of networking could work well as long as each rep gets a demo. My other thoughts are offering the reps a 'finder's fee" for helping me to obtain new clients. Do any of you do this kind of promotion? If you do offer a finder's fee, do you use a contract with each rep or is this a cash exchange deal?

My main focus is to create a win/win situation for everyone. Networking is a great tool...just wondering how this is done within the VO community.

All suggestions, advice and comments are hugely appreciated! Laugh
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for the legality of this arrangement.

Finder's fee could spell K-i-c-k-b-a-c-k to some suits.
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this is why I asked this question.

Love the water but, I don't want to make waves...don't know how to surf!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting your demo into the hands of the sales reps is a very good idea!

The secondary part is hoping the the clients are willing to come up the the extra $$ to have your service. Even ad agencies often use in-house talent.

You also might be able to propose your service as an excusive station voice; if the station is a part of one of the congloms, I'll bet it's a no-go-- but a privately-owned station might have the presence of mind to employ a staff announcer.
SheSpeaksCopy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few private studios and independents here. I was suprised how the area had grown while I was away. A caveat to moving back home is there are not very many female VO artists locally.

I'm told that the normal procedure is to go look toward DC or Richmond for female talent. Knowing this, I'm going to be promoting myself as a Northern VA voice over artist who has returned to her home area. Since I was previously living in the NOVA area, I can use this tidbit of knowledge to my marketing benefit.

I'm confident that I can get plenty of work here...just need to get my size 10 foot in the door!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: