VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some needed advice about Home Studios

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mythwoman
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Some needed advice about Home Studios Reply with quote

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to place this because I'm looking for info/advice on gear and learning. A few of you know I have a small studio in my house which I use only for auditions right now. This is all I have at the moment:

Audio Technica AT4047 Condenser Mic

SoundForge 8.0

PreSonus INSPIRE 1394 Firewire Audio Interface

I don't know ANYTHING about mixing, editing, sound effects and so on. Even worse, I have great difficulty trying to self-teach myself.

I've looked into Audio Engineering courses at local junior colleges but they only accept full-time students and to my knowledge, none of them encourage non-credit students to audit. Another reason I've been hesitant to pursue it further is that most of the junior colleges are not up to date with the software and equipment that's out there.

Recently I heard that Pro Tools has a training program that's sort of a crash course in audio engineering. I don't use Pro Tools but all the professional studios I've visited in person swear by it. And I've been told the software is excellent for musicians, I'm also a singer.
They are legit and even offer certificate programs. The price is not terribly expensive and a person can buy a package course or take individual classes.

My goal is to learn about mixing, editing, sound effects, and more, so that when jobs come in I can do it from my house like so many of you do now.

But before I go and spend money on something like the Pro Tools Training Center I'd REALLY appreciate advice on how to go about learning what I need to know.

Please, please let me hear from some of you!

Mary aka Mythwoman
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

99% of my voiceover work there is no production involved, except now and then, to cut up the voice tracks into individual clips. Unless you want to do audio production, you may already know more than you think you do. Especially if you're able to record, edit and upload auditions. That's the lion's share of what you need to know to deliver finished audio as well. Because a lot of your clients are just going to want good quality MP3 files of your voice.

I hope this is at least a little helpful.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
paddyo
CM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

That was extremely helpful to me. Thank you.

Paddyo
www.radiotheatrenyc.com
paddyo
CM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if 99% of your voicework is "no production involved", does that include "those other sites"? I'm not a member of them because I'm working on new demos (old ones ain't for prime time) and I'm in the process of getting up to speed with my home studio set up. But I thought to audition on those sites, you needed to do custom auditions or does that vary with each audition?

and Bob, I sent a similar question to you via PM but I realized I'm not as shy with this question as I thought. So sorry you may have to read this twice.

Paddyo

(didn't mean this to be a threadjack)
robert jadah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if that was a thread-jack, then this is a reply-jack from someone other than Bob.

In the few years I've done this from home, I have NEVER (as in not once) been asked to deliver a produced piece.

Many of the barrel-bottom clients that trawl the voice sites may expect polished, broadcast-ready bits, but real clients have all the expertise and wizardry they need, thank you.

And it would take about 27 years (35 if you stop for lunch) to match their ability to turn your voice into a dazzling bit of audio.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

Well said. While I do have a very few clients for whom I do production, they are a very select group with whom I have long-term on-going relationships that make it well worth my while to do the additional work for them...and helps keep them happy with me. But other than those few, everything I do is delivery as dry, unprocessed audio either live via ISDN or Source Connect or via my web server or the client's.

And to answer your question about Internet casting services, "custom demos" on those sites only means reading the client's script rather than submitting a stock demo. It does not mean doing full production. (I hope I'm being clear with this answer.)
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
paddyo
CM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert and Bob for those answers. Whenever I read about "custom auditions", I thought it meant produced piece. And I agree with you Robert about the 27 years and 35 if I stopped for lunch. I'm glad I asked this.

And Mary, I'm sorry I can't help you about your question. I'm starting out on the set up myself.

Paddyo
www.radiotheatrenyc.com
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From someone who does produce commercials with multiple voices, music, jingles, sound effects etc., production is a lot of fun, especially with digital editing. However, there's a huge learning curve involved in mixing all those elements together to achieve a good sound. You'd also want to invest bit by bit in music and SFX libraries.

If you want to get into production, go for it, and all the major software programs will allow you to do that very well, but if you're happy just grilling the steaks, why worry about making all the side dishes?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
mythwoman
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your time and responses. This helps tremendously. Though now my thoughts are on ISDN since that's how clients direct you.

But it's terribly expensive for me right now and I don't even have a client list yet. So I assume it's best to wait until I've made some good working relationships.

And yes, all I've done so far is submit dry auditions with no effects, and no music. I'm VERY relieved that I don't really need to do all that.

But I must say that I'm interested in it still because if I'm not doing voice work I can do something else on the side to make a little income. That way I'd still be working in audio field.

It's a thought at best.

Vo-BB is a blessing. I know for certain that I'd drive myself insane without everyone's guidance!!!

You're all awesome folks! Keep up the good work!
Mary aka Mythwoman
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

If you're anywhere near San Antonio, I can try contacting a friend who used to do classes in production.
VO-BB Member #59
sdelgo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My goal is to learn about mixing, editing, sound effects, and more, so that when jobs come in I can do it from my house like so many of you do now.

I work out of 2 different pro studios (tracking, mastering) 99% of the engineers that I've met over the years have never been to any of those audio schools, they just haven't. Thats not to say that the schools aren't beneficial but alot of these people learn on their own or if they are lucky enough to have an "engineer" in the fold.

My advice to you would be to practice mixing ,editing etc... yourself. You'll learn alot more by exploring for yourself. Here is a great site to get you going in the mixing, editing, recording direction. http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

As was stated before... you most likely know more aabout mixing, audio production than you think.

www.steviedproductions.com
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

There is a new recording product from Adobe called Soundbooth that theoretically makes about 99% of what most VO people do much easier to do without to learn to be a sound engineer. You might want to take a look at it as an alternative to Soundforge, although personally, I have version 5 of Soundforge and I really liked it.

There are some links I posted about it in this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: