VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audition critique needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Audition critique needed Reply with quote

For once I was given a couple of days to send back an audition for a potential customer, so I thought I would use that time to good use by having everyone take a listen and give me some pointers on how it could be improved.
They are looking for;
"a conversational, friendly read. Our motto is 'For Smart, Safe, Fun Flying' and our productions refelect that."

So give it a listen and let me know your thoughts. It's about 1:30 in length. http://www.charlottebobcats.net/Audio/KingAir_mixdown.mp3

Thanks!

The Voice of Bob

Last edited by TheVoiceOfBob on Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Your link doesn't work for me.
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Davis wrote:
Bob,

Your link doesn't work for me.

My bad. I moved it this morning. It was good when I put it up there over the weekend but I changed it's location. Try now.

The Voice of Bob
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the audition. Maybe pacing could be tweaked slightly pause-wise toward the end. The tone and "feel" is dead on to my ears. Kinda reminds me of the trainer on the microsoft flight sim.
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,
Thanks so much for your feedback. I was actually trying to change my pacing a bit from my usual rapid fire. I've been listening more to some other voices that I admire for technical type reads (Bob Souer) and noted a much more relaxed pacing with nice pauses done at just the right times. This was sort of my first attempt at emulating that a bit.
Plus I've had others listen in and give a "voice age" in relation to my pacing.

The Voice of Bob
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I'm extremely flattered that you would wish to emulate my read. I think the key thing is to find the music in the words. The rhythm of the words themselves tell you when to pause and for how long. (Punctuation can help, too, of course.) As I listened to your audition above, it seemed like at least some of the pauses were just because you thought you needed to pause here and there...rather than coming organically from the script.

I'm sure I'm not doing a very good job of explaining this. And I know, I haven't used a single "pirate-y" line in this entire post. Sorry.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Agreed. Some were put in just to change the pacing a bit. I'll continue to refine that and listen. I'm trying to find that happy place in the middle. When I read copy I tend to blast through and I think I miss places where they DO need to be.

I took that from the medical read you and I both did. There was just a bit of an "aha" moment where I saw/heard what you did with the copy and really liked it. With this side-by-side comparison I was able to see it better.

Thank you for your listen as well. I will continue to listen and improve.
Are you a Babylon 5 fan? What you stated there seemed like something from one of their episodes where Kosh was trying to teach Capt. Sheridan something. I believe he said something like "Listen to the Music, not the Song."

The Voice of Bob
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

While I've enjoyed Babylon 5 from time to time, I'm not a huge fan. However, the phrase "listen to the music not the song" is a great suggestion from whatever source.

My original course of study in college was music, specifically vocal performance. (For a long time I thought I was going to grow up to be an opera singer.) My vocal coach in college used the metaphor that the music is a river. It's always there. Always in motion. To sing the song, one simply steps into the river, flowing along with it until the song is finished. Then we step back out of the river.

I think most voiceover work is pretty much the same. The music, the river, is already there. To tell the story, we step into the river and flow along with it until we're finished with the story and we step back out of the river. And yes, even dry, technical reads are telling a story.

Bob, I'm sure that when you're sitting with your buddies telling a story about one of your favorite memories (for example) that you don't just "blast through the story." You tell it as a story should be told...with pauses here and there. That's the music you're trying to find for your narrations. Auditions or booked work, it's all the same.
+1-724-613-2749
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Chrissy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of singing---How about trying to sing the script once through? Picture yourself on a Broadway stage and your going to sing this script directly to the audience. Really belt it out! It may sound like a silly idea but it helps to break up any set pauses and breathing patterns you have. You also have to concentrate on the points you want to get across. Then see what happens when you go back to saying the script. If nothing else your more relaxed and may have had a laugh or two. This comes from my many years of musical theater work.

Chrissy

PS No I haven't lost my mind after my fall but I think I just got my sense of humor back.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissy,

That is an excellent suggestion, and one I've never tried! Thank you.
+1-724-613-2749
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard many voice trainers suggest singing before a session. I had never heard of singing the script though. Cool idea.

Hey, want me to record it and post? Gasp

The Voice of Bob
Chrissy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome Bob. Let me know if it helps you.

Chrissy
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually do that when I find myself falling into a pattern I can't get out of with a script. It does help.
Chrissy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singing the script actually comes out of theater exercises I did in the past during rehearsals especiallly with a serious script. The director would shake things up by picking a musical style and having us sing our lines.

I also vocalize in my apartment before a recording session. It helps to warm up the voice and with your breathing as well as your speaking range. I find it also helps with my focus and relaxation. Since I enjoy singing I usually end up belting out a couple of musical theater tunes. By then I'm ready to go record and have fun with the copy

Chrissy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: