VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ducking in Adobe Audition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Ducking in Adobe Audition Reply with quote

Okay, although I've produced many pieces over the past 30 years, I do not profess to be a recording engineer.

Try, though I might, I cannot find an answer, nor can I figure this out on my own. So, I offer it up here.

What I want to do is perform ducking in Adobe Audition 1.5 in multi-track mode without an outboard mixer. Somehow, I'm sure this can be done. You know, establish a music track at full modulation, then duck for the v.o.

Anyone who may have a solution to this would be my newest hero!

Any takers?
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your SubMix, the one without the vo track, add a compressor using the voiceover track as a "sidechain" input. The sidechain will control the compressor and reduce the SubMix based on your settings. Place another compressor on the mix track to bring it all together and eq to taste.

Although I do this in ProTools, if memory serves me properly, it's the same in Audition.

Kevin
Doc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

I appreciate the response. Okay - like I mentioned in the beginning of my thread, I'm no audio engineer. I've attempted the procedure you suggest to no avail.

I, too, believe what I'm trying to accomplish can be achieved in Audition, but either this isn't it, or I'm dumber than I look! :wink:

Hell, with Pro Tools, you can program level rides... not so with Audition. I've even seen a Pro Tools setup using an outboard mixer and with the gain rides programmed the mixer's faders actually move all on their own. Perfect for this Halloween. Hehehe...

Maybe I'm missing something?

Any further instructions... suggestions?? Anyone???

Thanks again...
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a "pencil" tool for drawing a volume curve. You use it to mark the fades in the music track?
Doc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Banksey... no pencil tool, however, I believe I've found my own solution. There are envelope tools in Audition, "Volume", "Pan" and "FM Mix". The "Volume" envelope is the tool to use... now, I just have to accustom myself to it! :wink:

I love Audition and I even have the DVD tutorials (6 hours worth). It's amazing what today's audio processing software can accomplish. However, nowhere within those 6 hours of video was there a particular mention of "ducking"... neither does that term appear in their help files, OR their site. So, I apparently also have a new vernacular paradigm to learn.

I think I'm on a roll, but if this doesn't do what I think it will do, I'll be back!

Thank you, Kevin and Banksey for your assistance. I really appreciate it.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking basic volume edits? You can draw those in....
Doc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not basic volume edits... ducking... rolling off volume for v.o., then, rolling back up for piece finish. Like I said, I believe I've found my answer with the envelope tool.

Thanks for your response, though.
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add handles and "rubberband" the volume within the music track.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: