VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should I do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bisonvoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
I got positive feedback from both the university radio station PD as well as Sports Info Director for the weekend preview & wrap-up spots.
VO is something I do REALLY WANT to do, I do want to learn more about the business.
I am bothered by one thing, that's TV & radio guys in my area doing public address & not doing it very well in my opinion. Now, I have always wanted to work in radio, but have had doors slammed on me because I have only done PA work.

Tom
(benching the website until I improve)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused. Dod you want to go into radio or voice-over work? They are completely different fields.
bisonvoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
I have wanted to work in radio since I was a kid. When getting into radio didn't work out, I began looking at VO and thought, hmmmm, I can do this!! Especially after doing some local election spots, I got rather excited about the possibilities!!
Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bisonvoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane,
Yes I noticed that my diction is off, but not to the extent that some have pointed out. I do recognize now that I need a fair bit o work at this.

Tom
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom--
With radio comes VO, as you probably know. And IMO if you're straddling the two desires, go with radio. It'll help you get your chops. Of course, I don't know what the opportunities are for you in your part of Canada, but the key is to keep trying. You've got plenty of extemporaneous speaking experience with your PA work, and it's a matter of being at the right station at the right time, or finding a place where you can fit in, or volunteering some time to understand the machinations, or selling yourself to potential employers (or clients) because you have something they need. In radio you'll have a ton of production (VO) opportunities and with the right attitude and approach, these opportunities can help you. Capisce?
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with what Diane said, enroll yourself in some acting classes. While radio will give you some mic handling and vocal experience, acting classes will help you intepret copy, bring the proper emotion, and allow you to make it your own. Voice-acting is acting!
bisonvoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane,
I was looking forward to taking the broadcasting course, but a lack of cash on my end & the fact that the student loan I applied for wasn't going to be released to me was a double hit. And add the cost of the course ( $11,690 CDN) means that route was out.

Tom
bisonvoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane Maggipinto wrote:
Tom--
With radio comes VO, as you probably know. And IMO if you're straddling the two desires, go with radio. It'll help you get your chops. Of course, I don't know what the opportunities are for you in your part of Canada, but the key is to keep trying. You've got plenty of extemporaneous speaking experience with your PA work, and it's a matter of being at the right station at the right time, or finding a place where you can fit in, or volunteering some time to understand the machinations, or selling yourself to potential employers (or clients) because you have something they need. In radio you'll have a ton of production (VO) opportunities and with the right attitude and approach, these opportunities can help you. Capisce?

Yes, I DO capisce!! Smile Thank you

Tom
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! Thank your lucky stars broadcast school didn't work out. I think it helps one develop BAD habits. Time spent is the best means to get experience, and if that's spinning records (duh--dating myself here ...) or reading news or anything a station may have for you (like voicing PSAs or helping at remotes or doing play-by-play), go for it. I'm sure I totally sukked when I started in radio, and I know I felt a lot more comfortable, quickly!, live on the air and in front of a mic and voicing commercials and interviewing the governor and wearing all the hats worn by peeps at small radio stations 'round North America!

edit:

later that same day ...

sometimes this happens: we get into advising on the board, then have private conversations via email or PMs and understand each other better.

in my interactions with an esteemed board member, i realize there is conflicting advice. to wit, broadcast school or not? radio or not? VO or not? PA work or not?

tom, going back to the origins of this thread and what jeff put so aptly: what is it you want to do? if your lifelong dream is radio, then catapult yourself toward that. if your stronger dream is VO, acting classes, training, workshops, books, and lots of practice and perhaps finding a mentor are where you want to direct your efforts.

confused yet? Wink
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put, Diane. Especially the part where you quote me. Smile

So now you know what you need to do, right, Tom?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: