VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange phenomenon
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the guest who suggested the changes in buffer size. Even though I had managed to drastically reduce the occurrence by other means, it did not totally disappear. However, changing the buffer size (but not number of buffers) seems to have done the trick.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this is too simple, but are are using a dedicated media drive and not recording to the system drive? the OS will do some operations in the background from time to time and can cause problems.

My main biz is video where this is a necessity. That said I have recorded some of my sax playing with backing tracks on the system drive on another pc without any issues, besides a bit of latency. Wink

bill
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, actually I'm not recording to my system drive but to a separate drive. The problem has all lbut ceased so this hopefully will do until I can upgrade memory. And I'm hoping that will resolve the issue once and for all.
Art

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Buffers is where it's at Reply with quote

Elaine:

Guest is right. When Cool Edit hiccups during recording, it's almost always a buffer problem. Even if you record while you're downloading a movie, and your email's open, and you have Photoshop open, and you're writing a web page; if you've got 256 megs of memory or more, and got your buffers right, it should never happen.

Problem is getting the buffers right. When I got a new computer, I thought making the buffers bigger, so they'd carry you over the tough spot, was the answer. It wasn't. I thought fewer buffers, a simpler process, maybe, might help. It didn't. You just have to try a bit of experimentation to find the right combination. Try making them four times as big, and/or twice as many buffers. If it gets worse, go the other way.

I don't think there's any clear guide that works for every computer, so trial and error is probably the only solution.

Still, I'm sure setting the buffers properly is the solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: