VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I see your "race to the bottom" and raise it with
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, PJ. Having a home studio and Internet connection does not make someone a great talent or a great producer. The cream will rise to the top and make appropriate money.

Also to consider, as population and technology grow, there's an ever expanding amount of voiceover needed. The good and persistent will get their fair share.

Bruce
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The good and persistent will get their fair share.

Wise words indeed. I've been thinking about this a lot, today especially as I came to the end of one mother lode of contacts and started on a new pile of names and was feeling like Sisyphus rolling that eternal rock up that eternal hill. Then I got an email from someone who said they already have people they use but sometimes they just want a different voice. That's when the persistence idea kicked in again - if one can just hang in there until they need a new voice, eventually it will be good that I've contacted 10,000 people and eventually I'll have work all the time, not just a job or two or three a week (if I'm lucky).

And, uh, no, I haven't contacted 10,000 people yet. It only feels that way.
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Voice123 "opportunity" Reply with quote

This just crossed my email and I thought you all might be amused by it. (Bold font is mine.)

<<<
The Creative Services Department at (tv station) is looking for additional voice talent for our commercials. We are looking for a male and female voice. Looking for a young, hip, energetic voice. Also able to change up their voice for various commercials (commical, fast-paced). We mainly do :30 second spots and need a dry voice. We email the script and the voice over person emails their finished product back to us (mp3 or wav file). Non-union. We are looking for someone who can dry voice up to 15 commercials for $50 a month. The number of commercials voiced varies from month to month. We are a small size market so our fees must stay low in accordance with our budget.
>>>

Don't stumble over yourselves answering this one,

Jim
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...that one crossed my email as well. It was promptly deleted.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka Ching! Swoosh into my trash bin as well. Sheesh. Small market I understand. But that's ridiculous!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mai Gawd.

Being a newbie, I'll admit that I'd take those $20 spots at first to build up my demo library & confidence and get used to the biz. But that last one is ridiculous even from my perspective. I may not be a sizzling ball of burning confidence yet, but working for that insulting amount would get me totally depressed and down on myself. I do non-union masonry work; its hard filthy work but at least I can survive off it. I may hate tuckpointing, but there's too damned many people out there with chimneys in need of repair for me to waste my time pimping myself for pennies at something I know I'm good at.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:arrow:

Last edited by brianforrester on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:25 am; edited 2 times in total
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, I can only hope your prediction is correct.

I've gotten something out of my free listing at V123 - two long-lost friends, not looking for VO, found me because that website came up early in the Google list for my name.

My own website comes up on the next page, I guess, so if V123 hadn't been there, they would have found me anyway. There's no way anybody looking for VO would find me on V123, unless maybe I changed my last name to A0001McKitrick. :wink:
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voice123 is a lovely website, a fantastic business and a gift to all voice overs the world over. The service it provides is second only to all the other ways of getting business like ....

Standing on your head in a bucket of snakes.
Going into the office of a voice over agency and holding your breath until they agree to sign you.
Holding all the senior managers of the Coca-Cola corporation hostage or better still someone from the organisation who would actually be missed.
Or try the US government approach. Find all the other voice over artists in the world and bomb them ....In the name of freedom and democracy of course!!!
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Ahem Philip Reply with quote

Erm, Banksey, I think us Brits also have a hand in that......
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick a sock in the politics, you guys.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satire is not dead but es ist verboten!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: