VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Booths R Us

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: email app Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff for the email aHobo Tounge. Sorry to hear about your experience with the Aphex. I have a Joe Meek THreeQ I love and a Behringer Composer Pro MDX 2200 I am trying to tweek. I like the Behringer's downward expander for getting reid of room noise. Next will be a sound booth.

Greg
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Greg, no problem. It really works and I hope it helps. No worries on the Aphex. The way I look at it, I was only out a few bucks for the return shipping but saved myself $700!

The sound booth is a great idea when you can swing it. I have one that I bought when we moved to our new house about a year and a half ago and I absolutely love it. It cost about the same or less than building a dedicated booth, and was a lot quicker and easier, which was crucial for me, since I only had a few days to knock down the studio at the old house and put a new one together at the new place.

The unit I have came with it's own ventilation system (mandatory) and I have ducting from the house A/C running into it to keep it nice and cool during the hot summer months. I had masons using jackhammers, air chisels and rock saws when we were putting in our yard last year and despite that kind of noise, I was able to record effortlessly in the booth with no bleedthrough.

Sorry to have veered off topic.
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Voice Booth Reply with quote

Jeff - would you mind telling us which vocal booth works so well?

Thanks
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind, but I really didn't want to turn it into a commercial endorsement on this site of any particular brand, because I wasn't sure if that would be cool with the admin.

But since you've aked, I bought a Gold series demo unit from www.vocalbooth.com They provided real nice customer service after the sale as well. I should probably stress that I work in a windowless room, which also helps with the ambient noise issues, and that if my son is playing his drums in the other room, I can still detect some low end rumble from his bass drum, so it is not the end all be all, but it works for me really, really well. I have no nearby airports or flight paths or anything like that I have to contend with, either. Also, I am one of their "featured artists" as the result of sending them a thank you letter after the sale. But I have no financial interest with them, blah blah blah.

Here's a picture if it will help:

Last edited by Jeff McNeal on Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Lovely! Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff - I got a quote from them a while back for their Gold series, and from Whisper Room, and this looks lovely!

I especially like the flat screen on the wall for reading. I always read from the screen too.

Thanks again for a peek at your set up!
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: email app Reply with quote

GregAllen wrote:
.... Next will be a sound booth.

Greg

If you're going to invest in a booth, be sure to spend the extra money and get a double walled enclosure, otherwise the leakage may be ineffective. Many of you know my experience was not the same as Jeff's, the service I received was awful at best and I never recommend the company as a result.

The booth from Whisperroom is in a whole different class, it's 4x6 instead of 6x6, weighs in at just over 1000 lbs and is significantly heavier than the previous booth which has to be the material they used. It's got two AC outlets and the window in the door is 'very' long. The only thing I would have added would have been an XLR panel....

Kevin
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds (no pun intended) really nice, Kevin! Sorry to hear that you were displeased with Vocalbooth's customer service. The only thing I ever needed from them was some touch up paint for the exterior corner rails and they sent me some. Never anything significant or serious like a damaged panel or anything like that to contend with. And to be perfectly frank, the deciding factor in my going with them as opposed to anyone else was my pressing need to get something in a hurry and the fact they had exactly what I needed at a great price since it was their demo. And when it arrived, I was very pleased to find that it wasn't beaten up or anything. It looked brand new and my son and I were able to put it together fairly quickly once we lugged those gawdawful heavy panels and solid door up the stairs!

My booth is only 4' x 4', but there's plenty of room for my girth and another my size if necessary. I seem to recall that it weighed about 750 lbs when it shipped. No outlets, either, but a decent ventilation system and a flourescent light that I never use. I had to install my own power strip and of course, mount the LCD flatscreen monitor myself. An XLR panel would have been nice, but it really isn't necessary in my application. They pack it in a crate with extra sound absorption material, some of which I used as a base between my room and booth floors. I sold the rest.

I'd like to see a picture of your booth if you have the time.

How is your ventilation? I wound up improving mine significantly by tapping into an A/C vent in my attic and running an insulated pipe right down through the ceiling and into the air vent on the intake box. Makes it very comfortable in there during the longer industrial sessions.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Flat panel monitor Reply with quote

Jeff, How do you watch the copy on your moitor and start and stop your recording software? Do you have a dual monitor setup on your video card that exends your desktop to the second monitor?

Greg
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

Exactly. I got a dual monitor adapter at Fry's, and I also installed a second USB optical mouse that is in the booth with me. I use the mouse to control everything. Once in a great while, the producer will need to re-write copy, which I will either commit to memory, or simply step out of the booth to edit with my keyboard on the desk. I have fouind that that doesn't happen often enough to warrant installing a secondary keyboard in the booth.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, just saw your message, I'll try to get some pics early next week and get them posted. It'll force me to clean up the area.

Also, you mentioned not having a keyboard in the booth .... If you're using windows, there is a software keyboard built into the OS under the Accessories group - of course you'd need a touchscreen (and I guess if anyone goes to that expense, it's easier to memorize).
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wireless keyboard and take it with you?
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't so much the wireless option as it is the mounting bracket in the booth....
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Learn something new everyday! Software keyboard. Huh! Unfortunately, it would be way too slow to hunt and peck with a mouse during a session. Just easier to step out the door and use my main keyboard. And yeah, the wire for an extra keyboard wouldn't be the issue for me, either. I just don't want to give up the space it would take to mount one for as seldom as I would be using it, although I'm sure a collapsible shelf could be constructed so it lays flat against the wall and out of the way when not in use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: