VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Demo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dagoldenknight86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: New Demo Reply with quote

Hey Folks,

I'm working on a new demo. I'm new to the "voice over" business and wanted your input when you have the chance, cause ya'll the best!

Also the demo refers to my website which is FAR from finished... So please don't mind that Smile

Thanks so much!

http://www.goldenknightmedia.com/files/demomp3.mp3
Doc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogold,

Okay - have a seat! Hehehe...

I'm going to bet you'll hear this a lot about this particular demo... it needs to be tightened up a LOT! When you listen back to it, imagine yourself a producer or casting director hearing it. Is this a voiceover demo or an air check? It it's for voiceover purposes, there's too much extraneous production elements therein.

Also, more vocal variety would benefit the overall demo.

However, your energy is good, your voice certainly fits a niche and I believe there's definitely promise.

Best of luck to you.
dagoldenknight86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man! I appreciate you checking it out.

I was afraid you'll say that! I'm in radio so I guess I listen to things differently. I'm used to creating an aircheck for my PD, I guess that carried over in the demo.

I was wondering, how many elements I should keep or drop? Is there a "rule of thumb"?

Again, thanks!

Izzy
Doc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured you were in radio. I am, too and have been for 30 years. And, BOY, do I understand PD air check critique sessions.

There is a general rule of thumb for v.o. demos... but, remember, nothing is written in stone. To get an idea, listen to others' demos on this board or wherever you can. Pick and choose the ones you KNOW are done professionally - the ones that catch YOUR ear. Then, emulate from there, but keep and use your own style. Don't copy or imitate.

Another general rule of thumb is to keep the commercial demo at one minute. Therein, it's been suggested to open and close with your "money voice" (see my article here: http://www.docphillips.com/article_0319.html - that should give you an idea). Then, show some variety in your vocal style and make an attempt to get about 6 or 7 snatches of your best work - short and sweet. Also, make sure there is balance and flow throughout your demo.

Hope that helps.
dagoldenknight86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doc,

I got rid of the ones with all the sweeps and phasers and focused more on the voice. I havn't really developed a "money voice" yet. I'm still new. The spots I have been paid for are high energy ones. Keeping that in mind I started off with a club spot and ended it with a concert spot.

Again I appreciate your input!

Izzy

http://www.goldenknightmedia.com/files/demo2mix.mp3
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Izzy,

Yeah, I can tell your a radio guy right off the bat. So am I . All of us should start a club.

Overall it's not awful. Maybe better than mine, I don't know as I'm biased. Smile

I don't like the flange or whatever on the beginning of winterjam 2007 tour spectacular.

You have a great natural voice from what I can tell. Work on finding some stuff that stands alone without all the radio effects. I think your money voice is probably high energy but natural. If others agree with me then let's find some copy you can read that showcases that voice and mix it in with the best stuff on this demo. That will be a pretty good start.

B
robert jadah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Steady On, laddie... Reply with quote

86:
I get the feeling you're rushing into making The Demo without having enough boffo spots to fill it. The geriatric piece, for example, is way too funky and youthful and high-spirited for what's being offered.
And if you're going to bring that kind of verve to every spot, it's only reasonable to have suitable spots. no?

The Back to School works the best and your Pilgrim runs too long.
I'd humbly suggest you sit back and wait until you have clips that reflect a broader range. Otherwise, it's just a lot of sameness.

Good young, fella-next-door tone, though. You'll be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: