VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Lowballing!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share this for the Newbies. If you read one of my posts, you know that I said I'm through with low balling. Not that I've gotten any gig with a low ball. That's NOT the case. Rather, I've bid low and still have not gotten work. So, why bother?

OK, there are many factors involved in this business. But, I will share this. I didn't re-subscribe to voice123. The ROI simply speaks for itself, wiith almost 700 auditions submitted over a 12 month period and one gig scored. I'm more confident than ever auditioning and getting paid a fair wage for my talent.

But, here's the kicker. In marketing about 18 months ago, I did an audition -- ONE AUDITION SESSION -- for a gig I found on my own without my agency. I didn't get that gig, but my audition was retained for "future" clients.

Well, I got a call this afternoon for a big video game project. When I was asked about rates, I said: "I charge union scale." I went on to explain that although I was not union, those are my rates; however, I have an agent and I said to call my agency.

Unknown to me, my agency had negotiated a deal fpr that project for about 3 or 4 other talents that are involved in the project. And, the deal negotiated for everyone at the agency got me significatly more than what the average top end is with the average voice123 solicitations.

Now, here's the other kicker: My agency didn't know I had auditioned with the studio over a year ago. But, I didn't know my agency had negotiated the deal. And, my agency has an "exclusive" contract on me for the region. I played by the rules: Business IS Business!

That's the sort of ROI that works.

Had I tried to be greedy and cut 'em out (which was possible) and priced myself in accord with the average voice123 rates seen on most posts, I would have cut my own throat, not to mention what other VO talents would think once they found out that I was willing to work for less than 1/4 of what they are going to earn. And, of course, I would not have been as happy as I am with the booking I got.

Again: My thanks to Frank who helped me think straight on this subject!

The last point I'll share is this: In speaking with a seasoned vet, I was told: when you're really good, they call and you get 3 x scale with residuals. Top talent gets that. No low ballin' there.

Yea, that's something to think about, and to shoot for.

CC
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, that's terrific news! Congratulations on the gig, on the $, and on the good feelings. Let us know how the work goes.

Also, congratulations on cutting the V123 knot.
mikemckenzie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not only establishing YOUR value, but helping raise the bar for the rest of us. Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: