VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Local US TV rates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon Fellows
Contributor III

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Local US TV rates Reply with quote

I wonder if I could pick your brains on this one.

I've just been asked to voice a 30 second TV spot which is to run in Phoenix, AZ "for an extended length of time". I haven't got back to the client as yet (I thought I would ask you all before doing that), so I haven't been able to clarify just how long "extended" means.

As I haven't a great deal of experience of local US TV, I haven't a clue what the going rate should be. I presume we'd be talking a buyout here, but, again, at what percentage of my orginal fee? Obviously the buyout factor is going to depend on the length of the run, but I thought I'd see what everyone had to say before getting back to them.

Thanks very much for any help you can give.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon:

Congrats on the contract.

The short answer is there are few "set rates" in spite of what some say or are led to believe.

One starting point the voice rates listed for union VO's in the US SAG and AFTRA (google 'em you'll find the sites quickly). But feel your client out (if you haven't already) to know where the budget is. If you want to play hardball on a number/dollar figure that's up to you but a little reasonable flexibility is rarely a bad thing. (it can also sometimes be tough to charge union rates if the client knows alot about how union VO's work...again flexible but reasonable).

Id advise you share with your client that your agreement is either a full buyout contract (bigger money up front and that's all) or a one year term with a one year renewal (prices set at signing). That rate really is up to you.

Be clear in your agreement that your spot is only running in the Phoenix market. Also be clear that its just for TV, if they want to use it for radio or internet, they need to pay you more. How many stations? Sometimes you charge per station, sometimes not...it depends again on your initial agreement.

Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Simon Fellows
Contributor III

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Peter. That's very helpful advice. With your help (and also the couple of people who PM'd me), I at least feel I know where I should be pitching for this now.

Thanks to you all for your assistance - it's greatly appreciated.

Best wishes
Simon
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The going rate for TV VO in Phoenix, going through an agent, is $350.00 for 13 weeks usage. For a year's usage we charge the traditional triple rate or $1,050.00. For two years, double that. For a lifetime...well local agents don't want local talent doing any broadcast on a buyout because it can limit your future work. But if you're likely not to move here anytime soon, I'm sure you can negotiate whatever you'd like.

I'm curious, what's the TV VO rate structure where you are?

Bruce
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a rate structure for Equity members (British actors union for those who didn't know). A voice over is paid his or her basic studio fee + 100% transmission fee. Like residuals we also get paid TVRs (television ratings). As an example my basic studio fee is £200 ($300)if I do the voice over for a commercial that is seen by all the UK population 30 times my total fee would be around £13,000 ($19,000). For regional commercial stations the rules are the same but obviously the TVR element will be much lower. That's it in a nutshell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: