VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sennheiser 416
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_Onefourone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Sennheiser 416 Reply with quote

Here's the situation.

Good quiet room... not completely soundproof. I'm in the market for a new microphone and I'm debating between a U87 or the Sennheiser 416. I've heard good and bad about the 416, and I'm having a hard time finding a rental I can try out for myself.

The U87, I know is a great mic and most times, in other studios, that's what they set me up with... HOWEVER.... I also know it may pick up some potential noise whereas the 416 is supposed to have a more focused pickup pattern.

Looking for some thoughts and suggestions on these two mics.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the best way possible deal with the noise problem and get the U87. The 416 can be ultra focussed but that also means while recording your voice ...Don't you dare move...not one inch.

If you are a location sound recordist get the 416, a voice over get the U87. First things first, get your VO booth right.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with the 416 is you can be off a few inches with out "getting off center". I point mine from above, at about a 45 degree angle down to my mouth and a distance of about 12", tip to lips. Basically, just like a boom mic in the movies only it's a foot away instead of two to four feet away. I'm able to work without a pop screen, although I miss "getting up on the mic" for softer reads, but since the 416 seems to "come to you" to get the sound, you don't need to. Sorry for the graphic nature of the description, but the darn thing is long and pointy and.....well, I'd better stop there.

Bruce
nick reed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Neumann TLM103 Reply with quote

Ok, I know everyone is a champion for their own mics... so... why not a TLM103? It doesn't have multiple pickup patterns but most vo's don't need that anyway. Neumann claims excellent rear rejection, actually "exceptional" is their word, so this may be a good compromise for you. Although, I wouldn't really call a TLM103 a "compromise".

http://www.neumann.com/infopool/mics/produkte.php?ProdID=tlm103

I have seen the Anniversary Edition for as low as $900! The AE includes a case and isolation mount. I think that it is a heck of a deal.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Neumann TLM103 Reply with quote

nick reed wrote:

I have seen the Anniversary Edition for as low as $900! The AE includes a case and isolation mount. I think that it is a heck of a deal.

Awful deal! An anniversary edition for $900 and it doesn't come with a cake!
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TLM103 doesn't sound like a U87 at all, nor do it's other brothers in the TLM series - that's not to saying they're not good mics, but if you're going go after a different mic based on price, there are other, better options.

At any rate, the 416 will not provide the results you expect. Its capsule will still pickup the ambient noise, not to the same degree, but it will still be there.

You'd be amazed at what four solid core doors covered with dense rubber and absorption material will do for noises... Check this out, it might work for you.

Kevin
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:

You'd be amazed at what four solid core doors covered with dense rubber and absorption material will do for noises... Check this out, it might work for you.

It is an excellent idea... but I'll have to pass on the $750 and the $1150 price tag.
(Next stop...Home Depot and the Upholstery Outlet) :wink:
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm part of the Moving Blanket From Hooks In The Ceiling school.

Philosophically speaking, that is. Space is at a premium here at Mission Control. I've been making do with a nice noise gate, pleated felt on the wall in front of my desk, and a fat beach towel draped over the video monitor and flat panel display of the film editing computer. A spiffy, hook-suspended moving blanket (or lovely comforter! Martha Stewart Sound Studios) behind me might prove to be a dandy addition.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Computer CPU fan noise Reply with quote

How do you deal with the fan noise from your computer CPU? I've set up a limited booth in a closet with foam on three walls with my editing desk in the office I share with my wife and another computer.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How do you deal with the fan noise from your computer CPU?

I'm using a Mac Powerbook.
A lot of folks put their CPU outside their studio space completely and use long cables to the keyboard and monitor.
lisaloo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good heavens, doll. If you can afford a U87, buy one! They are (in my not so humble opinion) just the most delicious thing in the world.

I get to work on them enough outside the home to keep my jones at bay, but if it ever gets to the point where I am no longer able to get my chords around one elsewhere (so to speak), it will be time to bite the bullet and drop the coin and get one.

For now, the TLM103 is my baby.

But I gotta say that I do love the look of that Blue. And I'm told it sounds pretty fab, as well.

Ah, mics. Aren't they just dreamy?

Wink

Yours Truly,

Lisa Loo,
Twelve Years Old
donrandall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding computer fan noise -

I placed my desk in a corner, with walls to the front and left sides. The desk is close to the wall in front of me, spaced only enough to hold a length of 5" thick, high density foam the entire length. The left side of the desk is about seventeen inces from the wall, on which I have shelves mounted to hold all my goodies in a convenient and accessible position. This serves to keep the desk top clean and accessible. What a concept!

The left edge of the desk is just an inch lower than the bottom shelf and is directly under the edge - with a high density foam filler panel in place.

Now - I have a space approximately 29" tall and 16" wide to my left - just below the desk top, extending down to the floor. That cozy little space is where the computer sits in it's little wheeled computer cradle. When recording, I place a properly sized foam block in the opening, which kills all noise from the computer. I leave a slight opening to allow air to move, which does not seem to be a problem for sound management. I have been set up this way for about a year now, and so far, no problems of any kind.

The only expense was the $20 or so that I paid for the foam block at one of the local fabric stores - and a few minutes of measuring and cutting. It doesn't have to expensive or elegant - it just has to work, and it does.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
I'm part of the Moving Blanket From Hooks In The Ceiling school.... A spiffy, hook-suspended moving blanket (or lovely comforter! Martha Stewart Sound Studios) behind me might prove to be a dandy addition.

:idea: That ceiling mounted curtain slider would be the same as the ones they use around hospital beds. I hadn't thought of that one (saves space too). Either that... or build a portable tri-fold sound/sponge screen... or take over the walk-in master bedroom closet, and turn it into a sound booth... Eureka!
(I don't think I can sell the "Boss" on that idea.) :roll:
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neumann M147 what a mic. No, not for VO use but to have on your website, photograph thereof.

Don't blush, you're not the only one. If Neumann charged a royalty for each M147 photo used they wouldn't need to sell them. For anyone who has not tried one, it's not a VO mic....Pretty though as are the Blue mics.
Edo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This subject is slowly shifting towards experiences with a TLM103, which in my humble opinion can be a good microphone (if it didn't say Neumann). I do understand that they had to introduce an entry level microphone, but then the relative price tag is a bit too high. I'm not trying to be annoying or anything here, sincere apologies to the TLM103 users...

Back to the subject:

A 416 is an excellent microphone, but it does colour the sound of your voice a bit. Especially when you come a bit too close to the capsule. The proximity effects are very noticable and that would be a minus for me. The good thing is the presence, which makes it a very nice microphone for recording instruments from a distance.

However, it is my experience that from all the microphones I've laid my hands on the large membrane ones always seem to cut it. And if your choice is between a U87 and a 416, go for the Neumann, as it will be a heck of a lot more versatile. It also is a more constant microphone and a bit more exciting sounding, whether it's a male or female voice. Also if you wanna get rid of it in future, it will still be worth a handsome second hand price... which can also be something you might wanna consider.

If you're not in the purchasing state yet, have a listen to some of the Blue microphones. They have some great mics. BTW Neumann is involved with Blue...

Happy huntin'

Regards from The Sunny Netherlands,

Edo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: